Defragmenter Won't Move Files

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I need to move all files possible to the front of my C: drive so Drive Image
can make a backup image via my CD-RW. I have run defragmenter over a dozen
times in a row, but it will not move a group of contiguous files (Blue) from
the middle of my drive past a group of unmovable files (Green) to the front
of my drive. There are large gaps (White) on either side of the unmovable
files with plenty of room on the front end. Is something wrong with my WinXP
SP-2 defragmenter?

Best Practices says to only run defragmenter if Analyze recommends it. Why
is this? I had several groups of contiguous files (Blue) and some fragmented
(Red) and Analyze said defrag was not needed at first. Now I only have two
groups of contiguous files (Blue) on either side of the unmovable files
(Green).

Finally, after running Defragmenter once in Safe Mode, it showed I had less
free drive space than before and two large groups of unmovable files (Green).
I only had one unmovable group before. This seems abnormal.
4 answers Last reply
More about defragmenter move files
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 12:01:02 -0800, HMT
    <HMT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I need to move all files possible to the front of my C: drive so Drive Image
    >can make a backup image via my CD-RW. I have run defragmenter over a dozen
    >times in a row, but it will not move a group of contiguous files (Blue) from
    >the middle of my drive past a group of unmovable files (Green) to the front
    >of my drive. There are large gaps (White) on either side of the unmovable
    >files with plenty of room on the front end. Is something wrong with my WinXP
    >SP-2 defragmenter?
    >
    >Best Practices says to only run defragmenter if Analyze recommends it. Why
    >is this? I had several groups of contiguous files (Blue) and some fragmented
    >(Red) and Analyze said defrag was not needed at first. Now I only have two
    >groups of contiguous files (Blue) on either side of the unmovable files
    >(Green).
    >
    >Finally, after running Defragmenter once in Safe Mode, it showed I had less
    >free drive space than before and two large groups of unmovable files (Green).
    >I only had one unmovable group before. This seems abnormal.
    Surely Drive Image ignores the white space?
    I don't think the physical placement of files within the partition
    matters.
    Dave
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Drive Image Tech Support recommends defragmenting before creating an Image.
    They say this is sometimes required to verify Image integrity. I cannot
    verify Image integrity. I'm also concerned my XP defragmenter is not working
    properly.

    "da_test" wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 12:01:02 -0800, HMT
    > <HMT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I need to move all files possible to the front of my C: drive so Drive Image
    > >can make a backup image via my CD-RW. I have run defragmenter over a dozen
    > >times in a row, but it will not move a group of contiguous files (Blue) from
    > >the middle of my drive past a group of unmovable files (Green) to the front
    > >of my drive. There are large gaps (White) on either side of the unmovable
    > >files with plenty of room on the front end. Is something wrong with my WinXP
    > >SP-2 defragmenter?
    > >
    > >Best Practices says to only run defragmenter if Analyze recommends it. Why
    > >is this? I had several groups of contiguous files (Blue) and some fragmented
    > >(Red) and Analyze said defrag was not needed at first. Now I only have two
    > >groups of contiguous files (Blue) on either side of the unmovable files
    > >(Green).
    > >
    > >Finally, after running Defragmenter once in Safe Mode, it showed I had less
    > >free drive space than before and two large groups of unmovable files (Green).
    > >I only had one unmovable group before. This seems abnormal.
    > Surely Drive Image ignores the white space?
    > I don't think the physical placement of files within the partition
    > matters.
    > Dave
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:07:03 -0800, HMT
    <HMT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Drive Image Tech Support recommends defragmenting before creating an Image.
    >They say this is sometimes required to verify Image integrity. I cannot
    >verify Image integrity. I'm also concerned my XP defragmenter is not working
    >properly.
    Use chkdsk c: /r
    to check the integrity of the disk. The /r flag tells the program to
    do a surface check of the media. (runs a long time)
    Or you can use /f (which tests/fixes th file system but omits the
    surface check)

    The inbuilt defragment tool does not consolidate free space.
    Try downloading perfectdisk from raxco.com
    and try the "smart placement"
    Dave
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Thanks for the feedback Dave.

    Harry

    "da_test" wrote:

    > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:07:03 -0800, HMT
    > <HMT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Drive Image Tech Support recommends defragmenting before creating an Image.
    > >They say this is sometimes required to verify Image integrity. I cannot
    > >verify Image integrity. I'm also concerned my XP defragmenter is not working
    > >properly.
    > Use chkdsk c: /r
    > to check the integrity of the disk. The /r flag tells the program to
    > do a surface check of the media. (runs a long time)
    > Or you can use /f (which tests/fixes th file system but omits the
    > surface check)
    >
    > The inbuilt defragment tool does not consolidate free space.
    > Try downloading perfectdisk from raxco.com
    > and try the "smart placement"
    > Dave
    >
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Green Microsoft Windows XP