Defragmenter Won't Move Files

March 27, 2005 4:01:02 PM

I need to move all files possible to the front of my C: drive so Drive Image
can make a backup image via my CD-RW. I have run defragmenter over a dozen
times in a row, but it will not move a group of contiguous files (Blue) from
the middle of my drive past a group of unmovable files (Green) to the front
of my drive. There are large gaps (White) on either side of the unmovable
files with plenty of room on the front end. Is something wrong with my WinXP
SP-2 defragmenter?

Best Practices says to only run defragmenter if Analyze recommends it. Why
is this? I had several groups of contiguous files (Blue) and some fragmented
(Red) and Analyze said defrag was not needed at first. Now I only have two
groups of contiguous files (Blue) on either side of the unmovable files
(Green).

Finally, after running Defragmenter once in Safe Mode, it showed I had less
free drive space than before and two large groups of unmovable files (Green).
I only had one unmovable group before. This seems abnormal.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 1:28:53 AM

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 12:01:02 -0800, HMT
<HMT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I need to move all files possible to the front of my C: drive so Drive Image
>can make a backup image via my CD-RW. I have run defragmenter over a dozen
>times in a row, but it will not move a group of contiguous files (Blue) from
>the middle of my drive past a group of unmovable files (Green) to the front
>of my drive. There are large gaps (White) on either side of the unmovable
>files with plenty of room on the front end. Is something wrong with my WinXP
>SP-2 defragmenter?
>
>Best Practices says to only run defragmenter if Analyze recommends it. Why
>is this? I had several groups of contiguous files (Blue) and some fragmented
>(Red) and Analyze said defrag was not needed at first. Now I only have two
>groups of contiguous files (Blue) on either side of the unmovable files
>(Green).
>
>Finally, after running Defragmenter once in Safe Mode, it showed I had less
>free drive space than before and two large groups of unmovable files (Green).
>I only had one unmovable group before. This seems abnormal.
Surely Drive Image ignores the white space?
I don't think the physical placement of files within the partition
matters.
Dave
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 12:07:03 PM

Drive Image Tech Support recommends defragmenting before creating an Image.
They say this is sometimes required to verify Image integrity. I cannot
verify Image integrity. I'm also concerned my XP defragmenter is not working
properly.

"da_test" wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 12:01:02 -0800, HMT
> <HMT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I need to move all files possible to the front of my C: drive so Drive Image
> >can make a backup image via my CD-RW. I have run defragmenter over a dozen
> >times in a row, but it will not move a group of contiguous files (Blue) from
> >the middle of my drive past a group of unmovable files (Green) to the front
> >of my drive. There are large gaps (White) on either side of the unmovable
> >files with plenty of room on the front end. Is something wrong with my WinXP
> >SP-2 defragmenter?
> >
> >Best Practices says to only run defragmenter if Analyze recommends it. Why
> >is this? I had several groups of contiguous files (Blue) and some fragmented
> >(Red) and Analyze said defrag was not needed at first. Now I only have two
> >groups of contiguous files (Blue) on either side of the unmovable files
> >(Green).
> >
> >Finally, after running Defragmenter once in Safe Mode, it showed I had less
> >free drive space than before and two large groups of unmovable files (Green).
> >I only had one unmovable group before. This seems abnormal.
> Surely Drive Image ignores the white space?
> I don't think the physical placement of files within the partition
> matters.
> Dave

March 30, 2005 12:16:24 AM

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:07:03 -0800, HMT
<HMT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Drive Image Tech Support recommends defragmenting before creating an Image.
>They say this is sometimes required to verify Image integrity. I cannot
>verify Image integrity. I'm also concerned my XP defragmenter is not working
>properly.
Use chkdsk c: /r
to check the integrity of the disk. The /r flag tells the program to
do a surface check of the media. (runs a long time)
Or you can use /f (which tests/fixes th file system but omits the
surface check)

The inbuilt defragment tool does not consolidate free space.
Try downloading perfectdisk from raxco.com
and try the "smart placement"
Dave
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 3:07:03 PM