Brand New Computer Brand New Skyrim disc - will not load

aschen

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
HP Pavillian dvd6-6b47dx entertainment PC - AMD A8-3510MX APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.80 GHz - 8G RAM Windows 7 Premium 64 bit

brand new computer, bought tonight, and I opened a brand new Skyrim cd and put it in the PC...............nothing
Put Oblivion in, works fine - Skyrim - Nada!
Put Skyrim in my mom's computer - opens right up to load.............put it back in my new computer - Nada!
Put Skyrim in my lil bro computer - opens right up to load..............Put it back in my new computer - nada nada nada!

why?

aschen

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

I'll try this, thanks. Do you know why this is happening? Why will it work on two older systems, and not my brand new one. Should I take my new computer back? Is it a pile of junk?

Thornyjohny

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Try inserting other discs in your computer. If they work without problems, then it's a problem with your DVD drive, not your computer. The same thing's happened to me but on DVD my friend had burnt. It worked fine with everybody else's computers, but in mine, it showed up as empty.

aschen

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Were using a downloaded copy until we figure out how to get the cd to work - I don't know how to download from steam without having to pay for it again. There's no way I'm going to pay $60 again!

teamk

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

Did you find a solution for this?

I have the same problem

aschen

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

We never did find a solution, I hope you have better luck. Please post it here if you finde one! :fou:

makes no difference on todays hardware. the only difference between the 2 formats is 1 is 4.3gb the other 4.7gb...
more likley its a bad dvd drive but even if he manages to install it, its unlikely to have enough grunt to run it in any meaning full way as its a web browsing laptop built for battery life not gaming performance.

it's an A8 llano, it will run skyrim on low no problem...

In regard to dvd differences, I agree, it SHOULD make no difference, but sometimes it does. I know it goes against all common sense, but things happened, who am I to argue against them.

In any case, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to download the game via steam, since it's required to run the game regardless.