Sign in with
Your question

Which Windows 7 Version do I need?

Last response: in Windows 7
October 16, 2009 3:32:21 AM

I've looked through the compare editions thing on Microsofts website, but I still can't decide. Are there any real performance differences, or are the differences simply in the features?

My system is:

i7 920
Asus P6T Deluxe V2 Mobo
6GB DDR3 1600 Ram
GTX 275
850W Power Supply
1TB Seagate 7200.12 HDD
Probably going to buy an Intel SSD for Win 7

This is obviously a desktop, so I'm not sure I need the BitLocker (don't even really know what it is). If I don't need that I don't need Ultimate. I'm also not sure if I need XP mode. If I don't need that I don't really need professional either. Am I overlooking something? Thanks.

More about : windows version

October 16, 2009 3:36:57 AM

There are no performance differences between the different editions.

Most people (like 90% as most) will be just fine with the Home Premium edition, which, it sounds like you should get.

Unless you have some outdated program that won't run on 7 and you absolutely need it, you don't need XP mode. Bear in mind XP mode is not hardware-accelerated, so it cannot be used for things like games.

Bitlocker is just an encryption program. There are plenty of free ones out there - try truecrypt, for instance.
a b $ Windows 7
October 16, 2009 4:00:12 AM

Home Premium 64-bit will probably be the best choice for your system.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 16, 2009 9:23:53 AM

+1 for Home Premium. As a home user, you won't need the features in Enterprise or Ultimate.
a b $ Windows 7
October 16, 2009 10:21:25 AM

Thanks for the link sminlal. I've been wondering which version might work best for me. I've been very interested in getting the family pack, but I wasn't sure if Home Premium would be enough for me. I thought I wanted XP mode, but not if it doesn't support hardware acceleration. I wouldn't mind have remote desktop host and would love to have encrypting file system, but as mentioned there are third party programs that do the same thing. Home premium doesn't sound that bad now, and I love the "$50" price.
October 16, 2009 1:48:50 PM

I personally want pro, but i think most people would be good with home premium, mostly everything that runs in xp will run in windows 7(32 and 64 bit), and if it doesn't you could always download virtualbox(free download, but you have to use your version of xp to run in virtual mode), Whatever you do, with such a such system, you HAVE to get 64 bit, we have to bury 32 bit this interation of windows.
October 16, 2009 2:09:37 PM

I will say go with the Pro version just because of the Home Premium 64-bit RAM limit. ( 16 gb limit MAX ) Pro or Ultimate will have 192 gb.

New PC now will come with at leat 4 gb, 6 gb if you are an i7. Windows 7 will be like an XP an probably last 6-8 years for you from now.

In let's say, 2-3 years, programmer will start to program like they should do, and be able to use all that 16gb RAM easy and all the core and even the GPU correctly.

At the rate it goes, you will probably have more than 16gb RAM in the last 2-3 years of your OS.

As I see, your computer seems one to be used for gaming purpose and you are already on the i7 platform, so I guess even your next build might use something like 12 gb or 24 gb.

The ultimate might not be necessary, but go for the pro edition just because of the RAM might be a good idea.
a b $ Windows 7
October 16, 2009 2:19:10 PM

Possibly Kilorth. The question I have is whether system memory will be mapped at 16BG and work its way down, or 192GB. If the system memory will be mapped at above the max ram limit so we avoid the whole 4GB limit again, this won't be much of a deal. By the time I go buy 2x16GB memory modules, I have the feeling we'll be a lot beyond Win7.

Don't forget Win7 has the setup ability as well. If you buy Home premium and your ram needs go through the roof, you can always up grade to a better version.
October 16, 2009 5:16:46 PM

I agree with Kilorth - Go PRO!

Good Luck - make it Happen!

:bounce: 
October 16, 2009 6:39:24 PM

Well I guess they limit the mapping to 16gb cause it's far from an architecture limit like the case of the 32-bit limit of 4gb.

You can always go with Premium and upgrade later, which will probably be higher than buying an retail Pro already. Also, Microsoft won't let you upgrade an OEM Home to Pro, which mean you will need to pay retail Home edition which is higher than an OEM Pro.

Pro edition give you the ability to remote desktop to your computer, which is a cool function I use often... but not to my home PC since I have a home edition XP, but I often wish I could. ( I know I could use other thing, but I hate most freeware )

I, for instance, rather have the big thing now and do whatever I will want to do later, than buying less, and need to upgrade later. With 16gb, you might not be able to put a server for family or something ( that I plan to do... someday ).

PS: Yeah, I know, Windows suppose to go on 1 PC and that's it, but eh, I'm already better than half the people who don't buy it and just crack, so I deserve to put it on multiple PC. Die stupid FAMILY PACK!

EDIT: 3x4gb are already on the market and some people start to have 12gb. I won't be surprised if next year 3x8gb are on the affordable market and beat that 16gb limit. ( that is only for intel platform, as AMD not tri-channel yet )
October 16, 2009 7:54:45 PM

kilorth said:

EDIT: 3x4gb are already on the market and some people start to have 12gb. I won't be surprised if next year 3x8gb are on the affordable market and beat that 16gb limit. ( that is only for intel platform, as AMD not tri-channel yet )

What in god's name does an average user need 16GB of memory for? 90% of heavy video editors won't even use that much - that's more or less server territory for the next few years or more.
October 17, 2009 6:49:13 PM

16GB is not 64bit limit, in fact, it is over 1EB but not sure which. On topic, since it's not 64bit limit, you can mod W7 to accept more than 16GB.
a c 209 $ Windows 7
October 17, 2009 7:37:48 PM

core i7 ownage said:
16GB is not 64bit limit, in fact, it is over 1EB but not sure which. On topic, since it's not 64bit limit, you can mod W7 to accept more than 16GB.
The limit for 64-bit addressing is 16 Exabytes. Exa = 1000 Peta, Peta = 1000 Tera, Tera = 1000 Giga.

The 16GB limit is a licensing limit for the Home Premium version of Windows 7. (Basic and Starter Versions are even less, but I don't think that most people will be purchasing those). That version will ignore installed RAM beyond 16GB. Programs can still access up to 8TB of virtual memory, but anything that won't fit in the 16GB of accessible RAM will be swapped out to the pagefile.

See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28VS.8...
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2009 11:28:48 PM

The 16GB limit might be a problem for some soon, but I doubt it will stay a problem for long. I can remember XP home had a single CPU limit, which MS changed when dual core CPUs came out. They will keep the limit now, but if/when we all start needing 16+GBs of ram, they can change it to some other number.
!