I LOVE Verizon data service!!!

Last response: in Network Providers
January 6, 2005 12:44:58 PM

I have a home on an island without wireline phones, and the closest
repeater is about 5 or 6 miles away across the Canadian border (Rogers
AT&T on S. Pender).

I am aiming this tiny little star trek phone at the repeater and
getting downloads at 10-20kpbs... not exactly broadband, but entirely
reasonable. And the connection is solid. This is a really good
service. I haven't even bothered to set up a plan; I just started
using the service, and now I'm spending hours on it. I suppose I will
get hosed on my next bill, but it's worth it. I will sign up for a
much bigger plan because of this service.

Charlie
January 6, 2005 12:45:42 PM

If this is true...a man who has a home on an island shouldn't really care
about a cell phone bill.

"Charlie Wilkes" <charlie_wilkes@users.easynews.com> wrote in message
> I have a home on an island without wireline phones, and the closest
> repeater is about 5 or 6 miles away across the Canadian border (Rogers
> AT&T on S. Pender).
>
> I am aiming this tiny little star trek phone at the repeater and
> getting downloads at 10-20kpbs... not exactly broadband, but entirely
> reasonable. And the connection is solid. This is a really good
> service. I haven't even bothered to set up a plan; I just started
> using the service, and now I'm spending hours on it. I suppose I will
> get hosed on my next bill, but it's worth it. I will sign up for a
> much bigger plan because of this service.
>
> Charlie
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 12:45:43 PM

xman@thedripper.com wrote:
> If this is true...a man who has a home on an island shouldn't really care
> about a cell phone bill.

Jeez, X, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Attacking someone because they
say VZW works for them. Are you like this in real life too?

January 6, 2005 4:59:33 PM

What the hell are you talking about? This dude posts about living on an
island, the ones only people can dream about ever going to or living on and
was worried about the bill? A man who owns a home on an island like that, to
which probably needs a real nice boat or yacht to get to worrying about a
phone bill? My god man, that sound normal to you? Does Donald Trump worry
about his cell phone bill?

sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 4:59:34 PM

xman@thedripper.com wrote:
> What the hell are you talking about? This dude posts about living on
> an island, the ones only people can dream about ever going to or
> living on and was worried about the bill? A man who owns a home on an
> island like that, to which probably needs a real nice boat or yacht
> to get to worrying about a phone bill? My god man, that sound normal
> to you? Does Donald Trump worry about his cell phone bill?

Maybe that's why he has an island and you don't?

-Quick
January 6, 2005 6:35:48 PM

Sorry man. Because some one has a house on an island some where isn't
because he watched his phone bill. You need to come back to reality on that
one and make another suggestion.

> xman@thedripper.com wrote:
> > What the hell are you talking about? This dude posts about living on
> > an island, the ones only people can dream about ever going to or
> > living on and was worried about the bill? A man who owns a home on an
> > island like that, to which probably needs a real nice boat or yacht
> > to get to worrying about a phone bill? My god man, that sound normal
> > to you? Does Donald Trump worry about his cell phone bill?
>
> Maybe that's why he has an island and you don't?
>
> -Quick

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 10:06:34 PM

There's lots of folks that live on islands in the Northwest. It's not an
uncommon situation.
The San Juans, or gulf islands are all relatively close to each other with
reliable ferry service.

If you've never been in the Seatte WA area, then you may not know what I'm
talking
about. In any event, it isn't a big deal. Folks in WA/OR travel to these
islands on a
fairly regular basis, especially if they own a boat.

-Dan

PS: Checkout this webcam at Friday Harbor:
http://www.islandcam.com/fridayhrbr.shtml

--
Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu

Well, I live in a small state called NJ. We have probably have well over 8
million people here now....so a "little" island to me would be a very small
thing.

"Dan Albrich" <junkmail@shaney.uoregon.edui> wrote in message
news:p c6dndyUHcUvYUDcRVn-tw@comcast.com...
> There's lots of folks that live on islands in the Northwest. It's not an
> uncommon situation.
> The San Juans, or gulf islands are all relatively close to each other with
> reliable ferry service.
>
> If you've never been in the Seatte WA area, then you may not know what I'm
> talking
> about. In any event, it isn't a big deal. Folks in WA/OR travel to these
> islands on a
> fairly regular basis, especially if they own a boat.
>
> -Dan
>
> PS: Checkout this webcam at Friday Harbor:
> http://www.islandcam.com/fridayhrbr.shtml
>
> --
> Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
> http://cell.uoregon.edu

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 9:07:26 PM

<xman@thedripper.com> wrote in message
> Well, I live in a small state called NJ. We have probably have well over 8
> million people here now....so a "little" island to me would be a very
small
> thing.

And a little state like NJ would viewed the same way by some of us who have
counties almost that large.
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 9:34:48 PM

NJ...that EXPLAINS the attitude problem.

Sorry, man, couldn't resist sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong.
:0)

Outta here!
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 5:22:57 AM

> And a little state like NJ would viewed the same way by some of us who have
> counties almost that large.

New Jersey is a STATE? I thought it was just a county of New York.

Only kidding folks, don't get offended.

TH
January 11, 2005 2:14:29 AM

A very small state, over loaded with millions of people. Hey, some people
that live in other parts of the US wouldn't even be able to live here it's
so expensive. When a typical 3 bedroom house runs $400,000 it makes me
people think.

"Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote in message

> <xman@thedripper.com> wrote in message
> > Well, I live in a small state called NJ. We have probably have well over
8
> > million people here now....so a "little" island to me would be a very
> small
> > thing.
> >

> And a little state like NJ would viewed the same way by some of us who
have
> counties almost that large.

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 2:14:30 AM

> A very small state, over loaded with millions of people. Hey, some people
> that live in other parts of the US wouldn't even be able to live here it's
> so expensive. When a typical 3 bedroom house runs $400,000 it makes me
> people think.

Yeah- overpriced real estate with no real benefit. That's my idea of the
American Dream.
January 11, 2005 2:16:28 AM

I'm not even sure if I like living here or not. Some people are nice, a lot
are not. Although during the summer months there's more NY people on our
roads then NJer's and lemme tell you...NY people drive friggin nuts. I avoid
them...cause they'll run right into you. Literally...run/hit right into you.

"Jim Stinson" <jstinson@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> NJ...that EXPLAINS the attitude problem.
>
> Sorry, man, couldn't resist sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong.
> :0)
>
> Outta here!

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 2:16:29 AM

> I'm not even sure if I like living here or not. Some people are nice, a
lot
> are not. Although during the summer months there's more NY people on our
> roads then NJer's and lemme tell you...NY people drive friggin nuts. I
avoid
> them...cause they'll run right into you. Literally...run/hit right into
you.

OK- I'll give you that one. I thought Boston drivers were bad until I hit
the city at 3:00 one afternoon. That drive probably cost me 5 years on my
life expectency.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 2:16:29 AM

xman@thedripper.com wrote:

> <snip>
>
> NY people drive friggin nuts. I avoid them...cause they'll run right
> into you. Literally...run/hit right into you.

Maybe they're aiming at *you*, although I can't imagine why.

Notan
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 11:10:28 AM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:56:47 -0700, "Scott Stephenson"
<scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:

><xman@thedripper.com> wrote in message
>> I'm not even sure if I like living here or not. Some people are nice, a
>lot
>> are not. Although during the summer months there's more NY people on our
>> roads then NJer's and lemme tell you...NY people drive friggin nuts. I
>avoid
>> them...cause they'll run right into you. Literally...run/hit right into
>you.
>>
>OK- I'll give you that one. I thought Boston drivers were bad until I hit
>the city at 3:00 one afternoon. That drive probably cost me 5 years on my
>life expectency.

NYC drivers are nowhere near as bad as Boston drivers. Boston drivers
are the worst of any U.S. city, in large part because of the rotaries
and the flaky traffic signals.

But Seattle is just the opposite, and gridlock is the result.

Charlie
January 13, 2005 5:26:33 PM

The only good thing about buying a 3 bedroom home for $400,000 is that in 5
years or less it will probably be worth $500,000 or more. Hence, you made
$100,000 in 5 years.

> <xman@thedripper.com> wrote in message
> > A very small state, over loaded with millions of people. Hey, some
people
> > that live in other parts of the US wouldn't even be able to live here
it's
> > so expensive. When a typical 3 bedroom house runs $400,000 it makes me
> > people think.
> >

> Yeah- overpriced real estate with no real benefit. That's my idea of the
> American Dream.

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 5:15:59 AM

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:26:33 -0500, xman@thedripper.com wrote
(in article <10udirceo218cc6@corp.supernews.com>):

> Subject: Re: I LOVE Verizon data service!!!
> From: <xman@thedripper.com>
> Date: Yesterday 2:26 PM
> Newsgroups: alt.cellular.verizon
>
> The only good thing about buying a 3 bedroom home for $400,000 is that in 5
> years or less it will probably be worth $500,000 or more. Hence, you made
> $100,000 in 5 years.

Some folks *DO* lose money on real-estate. I lost my shirt on a house when
the township raised the taxes so much that it was no longer attractive to buy
there. (Good idea folks!) Many houses foreclosed. I was fortunate enough
to sell with "only" a $40k loss. Yuk.
January 15, 2005 6:38:49 PM

In NJ?

"SinghaLvr" <singhalvr@charter.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:26:33 -0500, xman@thedripper.com wrote
> (in article <10udirceo218cc6@corp.supernews.com>):
>
> > Subject: Re: I LOVE Verizon data service!!!
> > From: <xman@thedripper.com>
> > Date: Yesterday 2:26 PM
> > Newsgroups: alt.cellular.verizon
> >
> > The only good thing about buying a 3 bedroom home for $400,000 is that
in 5
> > years or less it will probably be worth $500,000 or more. Hence, you
made
> > $100,000 in 5 years.
>
> Some folks *DO* lose money on real-estate. I lost my shirt on a house
when
> the township raised the taxes so much that it was no longer attractive to
buy
> there. (Good idea folks!) Many houses foreclosed. I was fortunate
enough
> to sell with "only" a $40k loss. Yuk.

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 6:46:23 PM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:38:49 -0500, xman@thedripper.com wrote
(in article <10uivqqt9mm9t92@corp.supernews.com>):

> In NJ?
>
> "SinghaLvr" <singhalvr@charter.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:26:33 -0500, xman@thedripper.com wrote
>> (in article <10udirceo218cc6@corp.supernews.com>):
>>
>>> Subject: Re: I LOVE Verizon data service!!!
>>> From: <xman@thedripper.com>
>>> Date: Yesterday 2:26 PM
>>> Newsgroups: alt.cellular.verizon
>>>
>>> The only good thing about buying a 3 bedroom home for $400,000 is that
> in 5
>>> years or less it will probably be worth $500,000 or more. Hence, you
> made
>>> $100,000 in 5 years.
>>
>> Some folks *DO* lose money on real-estate. I lost my shirt on a house
> when
>> the township raised the taxes so much that it was no longer attractive to
> buy
>> there. (Good idea folks!) Many houses foreclosed. I was fortunate
> enough
>> to sell with "only" a $40k loss. Yuk.

heh heh ... no ... but close ... (Stroudsburg, PA)

Parts of NJ isn't far from the same situation happening.
!