Your question

Best updated antivirus for window 7

Last response: in Windows 7
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
October 5, 2010 3:07:18 PM

Hello,
hello sir ...!
can i know that which antivirus is best for my mini net book of acer which has wndow 7?
Related resources
October 11, 2010 11:29:57 PM

Hmmmm. I am hearing good things about MSE lately but I just don't trust Microsoft not to drop the ball. You know?

I mean I am STILL shocked at the fact that System restore doesn't work in Safe mode in XP. And the Win7 Exp Index is a joke. Oh, and Startup Repair gives you a message that your system booted successfully last time.... Really? Thanks for sharing! Grrrrrrr.
m
l
October 11, 2010 11:31:23 PM

Here is a Performance benchmark that is updated constantly. http://www.raymond.cc/antivirus/

I am now running Avira along with Malwarebytes and CCleaner, and Firefox Noscript too (only Avira runs in Real time in background.) I am having some performance hits so I don't know about all the hype with this one. However, this is a new re-install of Win7 and I haven't tweaked my system the same way yet. I'm really not sure what's causing the Ram hogging. I want to stick with Avira just because of the rootkit detection, the lack of false positives, and the the high ratings.

I used to love Panda but it has been letting me down lately. Not happy.

AVG has come a long way since these opinions were posted. AVG 9 is fast as heck, and now they have 10 out. Their detection is very good but has a lot of false positives. I'd say it's worth a try though. It is one of the best in all the ratings.

Avast was my last Antivirus. I liked it a lot but I did get some false positives, not too bad. I really liked the animated icon indicating when it was busy, because then I knew if a process was slow due to Avast or something else. The only drag-down I saw was when I had full real-time Web scanning on. Every time I switch tabs in Firefox the Avast icon would start spinning, and Firefox was slow as molasses. Haven't figured out what to do about that yet, when and if I reinstall this one.

Comodo is supposed to be the SLOWEST.

Avira, Avast, and Nod32 have the highest performance ratings in the business overall, and extremely high detection rates. AVG is in there too but trumps Nod32 for me due to $$.
m
l
October 11, 2010 11:47:17 PM

Been with Avast for a while now. If I switched it would be to Avira or AVG. Hasn't been a virus that Avast hasn't caught... yet... knock on wood.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 12, 2010 12:01:55 AM

gggirlgeek said:
I mean I am STILL shocked at the fact that System restore doesn't work in Safe mode in XP.

You can do a system restore from safe mode in XP.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 13, 2010 12:54:50 PM

comodo internet security - 32 and 64-bit versions
download.com - check it out
free, award winning, excellent reviews besides mine, plenty of tools and user friendly..
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 13, 2010 2:21:47 PM

Thanks, it happens once in a while. :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 13, 2010 2:24:56 PM

lol..
m
l
October 14, 2010 2:38:37 PM

Hello gg,

Thanks for the link, looks good and I'll be checking it out more as I complete my win7 migration plan.

I'm an AVG fan - it just subjectively fells they have designed and deployed a more elegant and efficient solution to the burden put upon us. I also like the fact that AVG seems to think that lowering cost of ownership is important. :wahoo: 

Slightly off topic, but your comment about memory hogging interested me. I was hoping that Win7 would solve a memory management problem I'm having with Vista. Could you share your thoughts about what is causing it in your case?

I've spent a considerable amount of time tyring to isolate performance problems I believe are due to hard page faults... and finding no other answer than that the shared system memory allocation is forcing my system to have an affinity for hard page faults rather than using the supposedly available "shared system memory".

I was considering upgrading to Win7 in hopes that newer versions of WDDM( the culprit I suspect) would solve my problems. But after googling, I find others are concerned about "shared system memory" in Win7. Do you think your "memory hogging" symptoms might be related to shared system memory?

m
l
!