missing or corrupted files

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

hey there people, i really need help! i have tried to install a printer
driver with no success, every time i try it says there is a 16 bit MS-DOS
Subsystem error and when i click ignore the window still closes.

i have looked up some information on the topic
( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767#kb3 )
but when i follow the instructions it doesn't work, i have also tried
expanding the files from teh main screen at the startup process, e.g when u
start the system with the XP HOME disc in the drive. i would appreciate
anyone who can help me in this matter as it would take a LOT of effort to
make the necessary backups if i was to wipe my hard drive. thanx for rerading
and i hope someone can help. if you have any info please contact me at
bladejsmith@hotmail.com, bladejsmith@yahoo.co.uk on messenger or emails
3 answers Last reply
More about missing corrupted files
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Please let us know the exact make and model number of the printer
    you are attempting to install. Did you visit the support web site of
    the manufacturer of your printer and look for a Windows XP
    compatible driver?

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "bladejsmith" wrote:

    | hey there people, i really need help! i have tried to install a printer
    | driver with no success, every time i try it says there is a 16 bit MS-DOS
    | Subsystem error and when i click ignore the window still closes.
    |
    | i have looked up some information on the topic
    | ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767#kb3 )
    | but when i follow the instructions it doesn't work, i have also tried
    | expanding the files from teh main screen at the startup process, e.g when u
    | start the system with the XP HOME disc in the drive. i would appreciate
    | anyone who can help me in this matter as it would take a LOT of effort to
    | make the necessary backups if i was to wipe my hard drive. thanx for rerading
    | and i hope someone can help. if you have any info please contact me at
    | bladejsmith@hotmail.com, bladejsmith@yahoo.co.uk on messenger or emails
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    well the printer i am trying to install (among other programs) is the lexmark
    X74-75 but it's not just that program, it's also anythin that uses a 16 bit
    windows subsystem whatever that may be, the main thing i noticed it
    mentioning was an missing or corrupted autoexec.nt file but when i try to
    expand the file from the cd it doesn't work.
    i think i may be forced to back up all my files and take the plunge with
    wiping the system, if u can get more info that may stop me having to do this,
    please hurry as i may be wiping the system at the start of next week
    depending on when a cd arrives by post, thanx ppl

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Please let us know the exact make and model number of the printer
    > you are attempting to install. Did you visit the support web site of
    > the manufacturer of your printer and look for a Windows XP
    > compatible driver?
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
    >
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    > "bladejsmith" wrote:
    >
    > | hey there people, i really need help! i have tried to install a printer
    > | driver with no success, every time i try it says there is a 16 bit MS-DOS
    > | Subsystem error and when i click ignore the window still closes.
    > |
    > | i have looked up some information on the topic
    > | ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767#kb3 )
    > | but when i follow the instructions it doesn't work, i have also tried
    > | expanding the files from teh main screen at the startup process, e.g when u
    > | start the system with the XP HOME disc in the drive. i would appreciate
    > | anyone who can help me in this matter as it would take a LOT of effort to
    > | make the necessary backups if i was to wipe my hard drive. thanx for rerading
    > | and i hope someone can help. if you have any info please contact me at
    > | bladejsmith@hotmail.com, bladejsmith@yahoo.co.uk on messenger or emails
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Whilst you're awaiting your CD next week, some reading material which hopefully helps
    you out:

    c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS
    and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose Close to terminate the application.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767
    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program

    Replace the standard version of autoexec.nt/config.nt by copying a backup copy
    located in %windir%\repair\ to %windir%\system32\
    (NB: %windir% is typically C:\Windows)

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314106
    Troubleshooting MS-DOS-Based Programs in Windows


    16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

    note:-
    Also can be caused by a Trojan installing a file windupdater.exe and
    creating registry entries for that file.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=5f6f139.0409140618.749324fe%40posting.google.com

    AVAST (free antivirus software) can be the cause if SP2 is installed:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsPcRVn-gQ%40comcast.com

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314495
    How to Troubleshoot 16-Bit Windows Programs in Windows XP


    Shadow152 wrote:
    > well the printer i am trying to install (among other programs) is the
    > lexmark X74-75 but it's not just that program, it's also anythin that
    > uses a 16 bit windows subsystem whatever that may be, the main thing
    > i noticed it mentioning was an missing or corrupted autoexec.nt file
    > but when i try to expand the file from the cd it doesn't work.
    > i think i may be forced to back up all my files and take the plunge
    > with wiping the system, if u can get more info that may stop me
    > having to do this, please hurry as i may be wiping the system at the
    > start of next week depending on when a cd arrives by post, thanx ppl
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Please let us know the exact make and model number of the printer
    >> you are attempting to install. Did you visit the support web site of
    >> the manufacturer of your printer and look for a Windows XP
    >> compatible driver?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups
    >>
    >> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
    >>
    >> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>
    >> "bladejsmith" wrote:
    >>
    >>> hey there people, i really need help! i have tried to install a
    >>> printer driver with no success, every time i try it says there is a
    >>> 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem error and when i click ignore the window
    >>> still closes.
    >>>
    >>> i have looked up some information on the topic
    >>> (
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767#kb3
    >>> )
    >>> but when i follow the instructions it doesn't work, i have also
    >>> tried expanding the files from teh main screen at the startup
    >>> process, e.g when u start the system with the XP HOME disc in the
    >>> drive. i would appreciate anyone who can help me in this matter as
    >>> it would take a LOT of effort to make the necessary backups if i
    >>> was to wipe my hard drive. thanx for rerading and i hope someone
    >>> can help. if you have any info please contact me at
    >>> bladejsmith@hotmail.com, bladejsmith@yahoo.co.uk on messenger or
    >>> emails
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP