System Restore and 'SYSTEM CHECKPOINTS'

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have WIndows XP and system restore is not automatically creating 'SYSTEM
CHECKPOINTS' as it apparently is supposed to do and as my Windows ME does.
Does anyone know why? Is there something I must do to have XP do this
automatically without me having to do it manually?

Hi Gman,

Use the Event Viewer to investigate System Restore service errors. To
do this, follow these steps:

* Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
* Click the Source tab to sort by name, look for "sr" and
"srservice." Double-click each of these services, and evaluate the
event description for any indication of the cause of the problem. Make
note of the Description, EventID and Source of these Event Properties
that show an Error or Warning, and post them here.

System Restore fails to create an automatic restore point
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/body_srauto.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

gman wrote:
> I have WIndows XP and system restore is not automatically
> creating 'SYSTEM CHECKPOINTS' as it apparently is
> supposed to do and as my Windows ME does. Does anyone
> know why? Is there something I must do to have XP do
> this automatically without me having to do it manually?

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi, Bert,

Thanks for the info. I can create restore points manually and can get the
task schedule feature to pop up the restore box when I want, such as at start
up or log in. Also, I can restore successfully. I checked the event viewer
and there is nothing there except that restore points were created by the
system when I installed a couple of software programs in the last few days.

You indicate that automatic restore points will not be created if the system
is not idle. Does the system decide to create an automatic check point at a
p[articular time or after a certain amount of idle time?

The other odd thing I noted with restore is that when one is typing in a
name for a restore point, but maybe wants to change something or correct
spelling, the cursor cannot highlight anything to delete, copy, etc. Not a
big deal, just a tad annoying due to inconsistent behavior between features /
programs and use of cursor.

I download a couple of the scripts that were listed, but I am not familiar
with scripts. What do I do now that I have downloaded and saved them to a
folder? LOL

Great website, BTW. Thanks for your help.

gman

gman wrote:
> Hi, Bert,
>
> Thanks for the info. I can create restore points
> manually and can get the task schedule feature to pop up
> the restore box when I want, such as at start up or log
> in. Also, I can restore successfully. I checked the
> event viewer and there is nothing there except that
> restore points were created by the system when I
> installed a couple of software programs in the last few days.
>
> You indicate that automatic restore points will not be
> created if the system is not idle. Does the system
> decide to create an automatic check point at a
> p[articular time or after a certain amount of idle time?

System Restore by default creates an automatic restore point every 24
hours and only when there is sufficient system idle time. If the
system is in use all the time it is turned on, or if there is a
application running that causes no idle time, automatic restore points
will not be created. Screen savers, stand by, or hibernation can also
prevent automatic restore points.

> The other odd thing I noted with restore is that when one
> is typing in a name for a restore point, but maybe wants
> to change something or correct spelling, the cursor
> cannot highlight anything to delete, copy, etc. Not a
> big deal, just a tad annoying due to inconsistent
> behavior between features / programs and use of cursor.

I would suggest ruling out virus and spyware infection.
Virus and Spyware removal and prevention
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/spyware.html

> I download a couple of the scripts that were listed, but
> I am not familiar with scripts. What do I do now that I
> have downloaded and saved them to a folder? LOL

Download the XPSystemRestorePointFrequency.vbs script and remove it
from it's zip file to the desktop. Double click to run it. It will
show the number of hours the system is set to create restore points,
and allow you to change it.

> Great website, BTW. Thanks for your help.
>

> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>> Hi Gman,
>>
>> Use the Event Viewer to investigate System Restore
>> service errors. To do this, follow these steps:
>>
>> * Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press
>> enter.
>> * Click the Source tab to sort by name, look for
>> "sr" and "srservice." Double-click each of these
>> services, and evaluate the event description for any
>> indication of the cause of the problem. Make note of the
>> Description, EventID and Source of these Event
>> Properties that show an Error or Warning, and post them here.
>>
>> System Restore fails to create an automatic restore point
>> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/body_srauto.html
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>

>> gman wrote:
>>> I have WIndows XP and system restore is not
>>> automatically creating 'SYSTEM CHECKPOINTS' as it
>>> apparently is supposed to do and as my Windows ME does.
>>> Does anyone know why? Is there something I must do to
>>> have XP do this automatically without me having to do it manually?

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://dts-l.org/

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi, Bert,

Just wanted to inform you that the goofy Restore has now begun to create
automatic restore points without me having done a thing (been very busy and
wanted to wait until I had time to concentrate on problem). Can't understand
why, unless it has something to do with having a password. I did not have a
password before, but the Task Scheduler would not run a System Restore
scheduled task unless I had a password. So, I created one. It appears that
the automatic restore points began being generated around that time. I do
not have any restore task scheduled as it didn't perform the operation
without the restore window popping up and asking me to create a restore
point. Didn't want that; just wanted it to do it without me knowing.

Anyway, I'm getting the points now, but I wanted to report this to you and,
again, thank you for your assistance.

gman

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> [...]
> from it's zip file to the desktop. Double click to run it. It will
> show the number of hours the system is set to create restore points,
> and allow you to change it.
>
> > Great website, BTW. Thanks for your help.
> >

> > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
> >> Hi Gman,
> >>
> >> Use the Event Viewer to investigate System Restore
> >> service errors. To do this, follow these steps:
> >>
> >> * Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press
> >> enter.
> >> * Click the Source tab to sort by name, look for
> >> "sr" and "srservice." Double-click each of these
> >> services, and evaluate the event description for any
> >> indication of the cause of the problem. Make note of the
> >> Description, EventID and Source of these Event
> >> Properties that show an Error or Warning, and post them here.
> >>
> >> System Restore fails to create an automatic restore point

Hi Gman,

Thanks for the feedback. One question, what exactly did you password
protect?

--

gman wrote:
> [...]
>>> is typing in a name for a restore point, but maybe wants
>>> to change something or correct spelling, the cursor
>>> cannot highlight anything to delete, copy, etc. Not a
>>> big deal, just a tad annoying due to inconsistent
>>> behavior between features / programs and use of cursor.
>>
>> I would suggest ruling out virus and spyware infection.
>> Virus and Spyware removal and prevention
>> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/spyware.html
>>
>>> I download a couple of the scripts that were listed, but
>>> I am not familiar with scripts. What do I do now that I
>>> have downloaded and saved them to a folder? LOL
>>
>> Download the XPSystemRestorePointFrequency.vbs script
>> and remove it from it's zip file to the desktop. Double
>> click to run it. It will show the number of hours the
>> system is set to create restore points, and allow you to
>> change it.
>>
>>> Great website, BTW. Thanks for your help.

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hey, Bert.

When I was trying to SET UP the automatic System Restore feature to create
restore points automatically (such as when I logged in), XP would not let me
do it because it would ask for a password, which I didn't have. So, I
created one, which I now must type in every time I turn on the computer.
Once I did that, I could use the feature. I still don't understand why I had
to do this. Maybe it has something to do with Administrator rights. I am
not connected to a network.

Microsoft says XP is supposed to be better than ME, but I just do not find
that to be the case. I never run out of system resources with ME, and I have
a ton more stuff on that hard drive and using resources. The only single
thing I find more efficient about XP is the download speed for dialup
internet. It is definitely faster than ME, but that might be a funtion of IE
6 as I have IE 5.5 on my ME drive.

I guess I prefer things to be kept as simple as possible as that is, more
often than not, more efficient and less frustrating for the average home
user. Administrator rights? My Lord, how silly for most people, it seems.

Thanks for your imput as always.

gman

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Gman,
>
> Thanks for the feedback. One question, what exactly did you password
> protect?
>

> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> gman wrote:
> > Hi, Bert,
> >
> > Just wanted to inform you that the goofy Restore has now
> > begun to create automatic restore points without me
> > having done a thing (been very busy and wanted to wait
> > until I had time to concentrate on problem). Can't
> > understand why, unless it has something to do with having
> > a password. I did not have a password before, but the
> > Task Scheduler would not run a System Restore scheduled
> > task unless I had a password. So, I created one. It
> > appears that the automatic restore points began being
> > generated around that time. I do not have any restore
> > task scheduled as it didn't perform the operation without
> > the restore window popping up and asking me to create a
> > restore point. Didn't want that; just wanted it to do it
> > without me knowing.
> >
> > Anyway, I'm getting the points now, but I wanted to
> > assistance.
> >
> > gman
> >
> > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,

> >> System Restore by default creates an automatic restore
> >> point every 24 hours and only when there is sufficient
> >> system idle time. If the system is in use all the time
> >> it is turned on, or if there is a application running
> >> that causes no idle time, automatic restore points will
> >> not be created. Screen savers, stand by, or hibernation
> >> can also prevent automatic restore points.

> >> I would suggest ruling out virus and spyware infection.
> >> Virus and Spyware removal and prevention
> >> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/spyware.html

> >> Download the XPSystemRestorePointFrequency.vbs script
> >> and remove it from it's zip file to the desktop. Double
> >> click to run it. It will show the number of hours the
> >> system is set to create restore points, and allow you to
> >> change it.

> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> >> http://dts-l.org/

One more question Gman, when you say "I was trying to SET UP the
automatic System Restore
feature" are you referring to setting up SR in Scheduled Tasks?

As far as System Recourses go, my experience is just the opposite.
Run Process Explorer and take a look at all the running processes and
if any one of them is taking up more cpu time than normal.
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

You will also want to look at the Startup Tab in msconfig and see what
application are starting. Some apps may be able to be removed from the
Startup Tab.