Sign in with
Your question

Choppy FPS in Skyrim

Last response: in Video Games
December 29, 2011 10:49:44 PM

Hi all,

Playing Skyrim and getting some choppy FPS on a rig that I feel shouldn't have any issues with this game:

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 667MHz (9-9-9-24)
FOXCONN 2A92 (CPU 1)
HP 2511 (1920x1080@60Hz)
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (HP)
977GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 SCSI Disk Device (RAID)
hp DVD RW AD-7251H5 SCSI CdRom Device
Realtek High Definition Audio

Playing on full ultra settings with the only change being shadow detail set to high. Not using any mods. FPS gets choppy when moving outdoors. I would assume that I'm limited by my graphics card but I'm not certain.

Any help or tips that can be provided to improve my FPS would be welcome. I can provide more information on my system specs if needed.

Thanks in advance.

More about : choppy fps skyrim

December 31, 2011 2:28:40 AM

Just have your setting to High. Also you can download FRAPS as to check whether you're getting a good framerate. http://www.fraps.com/
m
l
December 31, 2011 4:02:55 AM

video card is weak for that resolution.

SKSE mod+tessellation layer acceleration plugin for the mod will help reduce the cpu-related choppiness though.
m
l
Related resources
December 31, 2011 5:04:19 AM

Is that card an HD 5750 or a HD 5770?
Try lowering down the resolution from the native 1080p.
And turn down AA a bit. Also, play at High, if Ultra proves to be difficult for it to run.
m
l
December 31, 2011 5:54:45 PM

The card is an HD 5770 I believe.

I tried playing at High and got much better frame rate. Would upgrading the 5770 to a newer and more powerful card (at a ~$300 budget) allow me to play on Ultra without any issues?
m
l
December 31, 2011 5:58:28 PM

Some of the issues with choppiness in skyrim are related to poor cpu optimization and the offloading of shadow rendering to cpu processing. A newer graphics card will certainly help overall but even at the 350 dollar level with the gtx 570 and amd 6970 the game needs to be modded with the SKSE mod+tess acceleration layer plugin to perform without hitches in populated areas.

I can't speak for a 560ti which falls under your 300 dollar range, but the 570 with those aforementioned mods for me does run the game on ultra settings (shadows on high due to horrible game coding), with 4x MSAA and FXAA enabled at a constant 60+ fps. The 570 is also slightly above the 300 dollar mark, coming in between 325-365 dollars. There is a good chance that a 448-core 560ti with significant VRAM (for your 1080 resolution) will perform similarly if overclocked.

Same can be said for a bios unlocked AMD 2gb 6950.
m
l
December 31, 2011 7:03:44 PM

casualcolors said:
Some of the issues with choppiness in skyrim are related to poor cpu optimization and the offloading of shadow rendering to cpu processing. A newer graphics card will certainly help overall but even at the 350 dollar level with the gtx 570 and amd 6970 the game needs to be modded with the SKSE mod+tess acceleration layer plugin to perform without hitches in populated areas.

I can't speak for a 560ti which falls under your 300 dollar range, but the 570 with those aforementioned mods for me does run the game on ultra settings (shadows on high due to horrible game coding), with 4x MSAA and FXAA enabled at a constant 60+ fps. The 570 is also slightly above the 300 dollar mark, coming in between 325-365 dollars. There is a good chance that a 448-core 560ti with significant VRAM (for your 1080 resolution) will perform similarly if overclocked.

Same can be said for a bios unlocked AMD 2gb 6950.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll check out those mods. Cities aren't as much of a problem for me, it's more wilderness areas, especially forests and snowy areas (the bridge to the college of winterhold being the worst). The FPS is also inconsistent over time, as some days it's mostly decent and others almost unplayable. This has really baffled me, and no online fixes I've tried have made much of a difference.

I'll download the mods and run them at those settings and see how it works.

Thanks for the advice.
m
l
May 29, 2013 10:34:43 AM

THE SOLUTION!

Sorry to bump an old thread but I had the exact same problem and after hours of trial and error and trying many things I figured out the problem!

The problem is the Skyrim saves themselves. If you keep overwriting the same save over and over again it will eventually cause it to be corrupted and buggy. The solution is to not use quicksave and not to rely on autosave. Keep creating new saves manually and DO NOT OVERWRITE SAVES. Every time you want to save just click on the "New Save" button. If you don't want very old saves because they are taking up space just press X on them to delete them.

Another important thing, DO NOT LOAD AUTOSAVES because they keep overwriting each other. Just ignore them and save frequently. It would help if you deleted all your current autosaves as well, just so that the new ones will be clean.

I have started a new character using this method and it's running butter smooth and is generally bug free. I wish Bethesda had a better save system because many people have had their game ruined by this save system (I had my game of almost a 100 hours ruined because I overwrote all my saves and was close to just uninstalling Skyrim because of how buggy it had become).

Hope this helps anyone reading this.
m
l
!