JB

Hi. a couple of years ago there was a bug causing computers to suddenly
shutdown.
A window would come up with an X (in win k2 and xp) saying it was shutting
down and there was a countdown and there was nothing yu could do. It came
from the internet.
Microsoft did have a fix for it which I was able to copy from 'support' and
hand to anyone who had the problem and it worked over a dozen times.
Now a friend of mine had to reinstall windowxp which removed that patch, I
still have it but it didn't do the trick this time although the scenario was
exactly the same. Does anyone know where to get more info or a newer fix.
Her machine can't do updates which is why we were reinstalling Windows to
try and fix the problem. Now we have 2 problems.
Thanks

Hi jb,

She needs to install not only the patch that protects against the Blaster
worm, but also the patch that protects against the Sasser worm:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5fa055ae-a1ba-4d4a-b424-95d32cfc8cba&DisplayLang=en

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3549EA9E-DA3F-43B9-A4F1-AF243B6168F3&displaylang=en

She should also run the Malicious Software Removal Tool:

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"jb" <nope@tospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi. a couple of years ago there was a bug causing computers to suddenly
> shutdown.
> A window would come up with an X (in win k2 and xp) saying it was shutting
> down and there was a countdown and there was nothing yu could do. It came
> from the internet.
> Microsoft did have a fix for it which I was able to copy from 'support'
and
> hand to anyone who had the problem and it worked over a dozen times.
> Now a friend of mine had to reinstall windowxp which removed that patch, I
> still have it but it didn't do the trick this time although the scenario
was
> exactly the same. Does anyone know where to get more info or a newer fix.
> Her machine can't do updates which is why we were reinstalling Windows to
> try and fix the problem. Now we have 2 problems.
> Thanks

JB

Hi. thanks for your reply.
I downloaded the SP2 update and installed it on her laptop which did the
trick.

These links you sent are very useful to have thanks

"Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hi jb,
>
> She needs to install not only the patch that protects against the Blaster
> worm, but also the patch that protects against the Sasser worm:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5fa055ae-a1ba-4d4a-b424-95d32cfc8cba&DisplayLang=en
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3549EA9E-DA3F-43B9-A4F1-AF243B6168F3&displaylang=en
>
> She should also run the Malicious Software Removal Tool:
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "jb" <nope@tospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi. a couple of years ago there was a bug causing computers to suddenly
>> shutdown.
>> A window would come up with an X (in win k2 and xp) saying it was
>> shutting
>> down and there was a countdown and there was nothing yu could do. It came
>> from the internet.
>> Microsoft did have a fix for it which I was able to copy from 'support'
> and
>> hand to anyone who had the problem and it worked over a dozen times.
>> Now a friend of mine had to reinstall windowxp which removed that patch,
>> still have it but it didn't do the trick this time although the scenario
> was
>> exactly the same. Does anyone know where to get more info or a newer fix.
>> Her machine can't do updates which is why we were reinstalling Windows to
>> try and fix the problem. Now we have 2 problems.
>> Thanks

You're welcome :)

Yes, SP2 incorporates both of those patches. After I originally d/loaded
those patches, I copied them to a CD (one on which I had saved various other
patches and removal tools), so when I do a reinstall (be it on my own
computer or fixing someone else's) I immediately patch them after Windows
has successfully installed, and that's why I immediately thought of the
individual patches and not the service pack.

If your friend has an XP install CD that is NOT a Recovery or Restore CD
provided by the computer manufacturer, and a CD burner, she could create an
install CD that is slipstreamed with SP2. I have not yet used it, but many
people seem very pleased with using Autostreamer to do the slipstreaming:
http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

Regards,