Need some advice on slim cases

Solidox2k

Distinguished
May 24, 2003
im currently looking for a very cheap (<$150) comp for my folks. almost all of the deals on pricwatch for barebone systems/no OS are showing slimcase and ....
'footbox' 'footprnt' cases? something like that. could someone tell me what these are? dont really know much of em.

scottkli

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2003
Well they are what they say "slimcases". Many systems sold today fall into many different categories. FullTower ATX, Mid-Tower ATX, Micro-Tower, Slim Tower, Mini-ITX. This is due to the different sizes of mainboards being produced. Full ATX (13.25"x12.00") to Mini-ITX (6.69"x6.69"). With Slim Towers you reduce the height and width of the case for added space on a desk. Add a LCD screen and you save quite abit of space. The draw back to a case like this is the amount of options you have to work with when adding components. You will commonly find a case and board like this supporting: 1 Floppy Drive, 1 Optical Drive, 1 Hard Disk, 2+ Dimms for memory, Multiple array of Processors, Smaller power supplies 200watts, and a series of onboard components [Video, Lan, Audio, Networking etc]. Because of all the onboard components you save quite a bit of money overall. Recently I built a system using: Aopen H340D slimcase, Asus A7N266-VM mainboard, Kingston DDR 266, Aopen CRW5232, AMD XP2000+, WD80GB, KB/M, 17" Viewsonic Monitor = Approx. $560