System Powerful Enough For EQ2?

Before I get EQ2 I'd like some knowledgeable opinions as to whether
or not it will run well enough on my system. I don't trust the
minimum/recommended hardware specs provided by game publishers.

Intel D875PBZ motherboard, P4(R) 2.4GHz, 512MB PC3200 DDR ram, ATi
Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, 16x DVD rom, high speed (cable) internet
connection

How about it guys? Should it handle EQ2 well enough, or will it
barely choke and chug along even at the lowest detail settings?

Thanks,
--
---Stash

SPAM FILTER:
You'd have to be out of YourMind to send me email.

sgk wrote:
> Before I get EQ2 I'd like some knowledgeable opinions as to whether
> or not it will run well enough on my system. I don't trust the
> minimum/recommended hardware specs provided by game publishers.
>
> Intel D875PBZ motherboard, P4(R) 2.4GHz, 512MB PC3200 DDR ram, ATi
> Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, 16x DVD rom, high speed (cable) internet
> connection
>
> How about it guys? Should it handle EQ2 well enough, or will it
> barely choke and chug along even at the lowest detail settings?

That will easily run the game out in Antonica on 'Balanced' settings,
however when you enter the city you will have to drop it down to pretty
much the lowest settings to stop it chugging along. I was running a
system almost identical to this one in every way, and it handled it fine
for the most part.

A lot of folk mentioned the memory when I asked the same question, so
I'll just emphasise...get an extra 512MB of RAM, 1GB will allow you to
run the game fairly near to the highest performance level with no
noticeable slowdown at all :)

--
Michael Greenhalgh
---

EverQuest 2:
Miglok | Half-Elf Predator | Lavastorm

City of Heroes:
Shadow Ranger | Mutation Scrapper | Virtue
---

"Michael Greenhalgh" <spammy@tripleb.co.uk> wrote in message
> sgk wrote:
>> Before I get EQ2 I'd like some knowledgeable opinions as to whether
>> or not it will run well enough on my system. I don't trust the
>> minimum/recommended hardware specs provided by game publishers.
>>
>> Intel D875PBZ motherboard, P4(R) 2.4GHz, 512MB PC3200 DDR ram, ATi
>> Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, 16x DVD rom, high speed (cable) internet
>> connection
>>
>> How about it guys? Should it handle EQ2 well enough, or will it
>> barely choke and chug along even at the lowest detail settings?
>
> That will easily run the game out in Antonica on 'Balanced' settings,
> however when you enter the city you will have to drop it down to pretty
> much the lowest settings to stop it chugging along. I was running a system
> almost identical to this one in every way, and it handled it fine for the
> most part.
>
> A lot of folk mentioned the memory when I asked the same question, so I'll
> just emphasise...get an extra 512MB of RAM, 1GB will allow you to run the
> game fairly near to the highest performance level with no noticeable
> slowdown at all :)
>
> --
> Michael Greenhalgh
> ---
> www.tripleb.co.uk | Weblog
> www.loonygooncircus.com | {LgC} Clan Site
> www.suta.co.uk | Swansea University Tactical Airsoft Society
> ---
> MMORPGs
> EverQuest:
> Miglok | Half-Elf Ranger | Venril Sathir
>
> EverQuest 2:
> Miglok | Half-Elf Predator | Lavastorm
>
> City of Heroes:
> Shadow Ranger | Mutation Scrapper | Virtue
> ---

An extra 512MB will also make you zone so much faster, my friend who only
has 512MB can sometimes take a minute or two to zone, wheres i can zone in
about 10 seconds, it really does make a massive difference.

sgk <sgk@yourmind.neo.rr.com> wrote:

> Before I get EQ2 I'd like some knowledgeable opinions as to whether
> or not it will run well enough on my system. I don't trust the
> minimum/recommended hardware specs provided by game publishers.
>
> Intel D875PBZ motherboard, P4(R) 2.4GHz, 512MB PC3200 DDR ram, ATi
> Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, 16x DVD rom, high speed (cable) internet
> connection
>
> How about it guys? Should it handle EQ2 well enough, or will it
> barely choke and chug along even at the lowest detail settings?

Double your memory and you should be doing just fine.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Michael Greenhalgh <spammy@tripleb.co.uk> wrote:

> That will easily run the game out in Antonica on 'Balanced' settings,
> however when you enter the city you will have to drop it down to pretty
> much the lowest settings to stop it chugging along. I was running a
> system almost identical to this one in every way, and it handled it fine
> for the most part.
>
> A lot of folk mentioned the memory when I asked the same question, so
> I'll just emphasise...get an extra 512MB of RAM, 1GB will allow you to
> run the game fairly near to the highest performance level with no
> noticeable slowdown at all :)

That surprises me that you have to turn down your settings in the city.
I have:

P4-3.06GHz w/HT
1GB RIMM1066
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB

My video card is inferior to yours and yet I am able to leave my
graphics settings on balanced and not have any issues at all in the
city.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

"sgk" <sgk@YourMind.neo.rr.com> wrote in news:%xrAd.336$yu3.40
@fe1.columbus.rr.com:

> Before I get EQ2 I'd like some knowledgeable opinions as to whether
> or not it will run well enough on my system. I don't trust the
> minimum/recommended hardware specs provided by game publishers.
>
> Intel D875PBZ motherboard, P4(R) 2.4GHz, 512MB PC3200 DDR ram, ATi
> Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, 16x DVD rom, high speed (cable) internet
> connection
>
> How about it guys? Should it handle EQ2 well enough, or will it
> barely choke and chug along even at the lowest detail settings?
>
> Thanks,

Only obvious lack I see is system memory, bump it up to 1GB, and you will
do fine with EQ2. Don't know how it will do with just 512MB off hand, but
the rest of the system is certainly up to it.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 19 Dwarven Shaman, 17 Scholar

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Michael Greenhalgh <spammy@tripleb.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> That will easily run the game out in Antonica on 'Balanced' settings,
>> however when you enter the city you will have to drop it down to
>> pretty much the lowest settings to stop it chugging along. I was
>> running a system almost identical to this one in every way, and it
>> handled it fine for the most part.
>>
>> A lot of folk mentioned the memory when I asked the same question, so
>> I'll just emphasise...get an extra 512MB of RAM, 1GB will allow you
>> to run the game fairly near to the highest performance level with no
>> noticeable slowdown at all :)
>>

> That surprises me that you have to turn down your settings in the
> city. I have:
>
> P4-3.06GHz w/HT
> 1GB RIMM1066
> ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB
>
> My video card is inferior to yours and yet I am able to leave my
> graphics settings on balanced and not have any issues at all in the
> city.

The 512MB of extra memory make a noticable difference for EQ2.

--

Graeme Faelban wrote:

> The 512MB of extra memory make a noticable difference for EQ2.

Yes, *very* noticeable--I played it with both a half gig and a gig. Trust
me, playing EQ2 with only 512mb of RAM is NOT a very pleasant experience.
--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.

chainbreaker wrote:
> Graeme Faelban wrote:
>
>>The 512MB of extra memory make a noticable difference for EQ2.
>

> Yes, *very* noticeable--I played it with both a half gig and a gig. Trust
> me, playing EQ2 with only 512mb of RAM is NOT a very pleasant experience.

Yes, I probably wasn't clear in my post but a few days ago I purchased
an extra 512, I now have 1GB of RAM and I can run it a setting above
balanced (the first 'Quality' setting) in both the city and outside the
city without any noticeable slowdown whatsoever. I've noticed that the
extra ram has allowed me to bump the settings in all of my games as high
as they will go now, even though I'm not running a 256MB graphics card.

--
Michael Greenhalgh
---

"sgk" <sgk@YourMind.neo.rr.com> wrote in message

> Before I get EQ2 I'd like some knowledgeable opinions as to whether
> or not it will run well enough on my system. I don't trust the
> minimum/recommended hardware specs provided by game publishers.
>
> Intel D875PBZ motherboard, P4(R) 2.4GHz, 512MB PC3200 DDR ram, ATi
> Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, 16x DVD rom, high speed (cable) internet
> connection
>
> How about it guys? Should it handle EQ2 well enough, or will it
> barely choke and chug along even at the lowest detail settings?

Another 512mb ram should see you good. I cannot emphasise how important ram
is with EQ2.

"Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
> "sgk" <sgk@YourMind.neo.rr.com> wrote in news:%xrAd.336$yu3.40
> @fe1.columbus.rr.com:
>

>> Before I get EQ2 I'd like some knowledgeable opinions as to whether
>> or not it will run well enough on my system. I don't trust the
>> minimum/recommended hardware specs provided by game publishers.
>>
>> Intel D875PBZ motherboard, P4(R) 2.4GHz, 512MB PC3200 DDR ram, ATi
>> Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, 16x DVD rom, high speed (cable) internet
>> connection

> Only obvious lack I see is system memory, bump it up to 1GB, and you will
> do fine with EQ2. Don't know how it will do with just 512MB off hand, but
> the rest of the system is certainly up to it.

My computer is similar but with 768 of PC2100 RAM. Instanced zones on
Balanced (but with shadows turned off) is fine. Towns can be kind of scary
(I typically almost fall into the harbor in QH every time I use the bell
:p ).

I just ordered a gig of dual-channel PC3200 yesterday...I'm looking forward
to seeing how much that helps. :)

"Dan Harmon" <deharmon@bigfoot.com> wrote in

> "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> "sgk" <sgk@YourMind.neo.rr.com> wrote in news:%xrAd.336$yu3.40
>> @fe1.columbus.rr.com:
>>

>>> Before I get EQ2 I'd like some knowledgeable opinions as to whether
>>> or not it will run well enough on my system. I don't trust the
>>> minimum/recommended hardware specs provided by game publishers.
>>>
>>> Intel D875PBZ motherboard, P4(R) 2.4GHz, 512MB PC3200 DDR ram, ATi
>>> Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, 16x DVD rom, high speed (cable) internet
>>> connection
>
>> Only obvious lack I see is system memory, bump it up to 1GB, and you
>> will do fine with EQ2. Don't know how it will do with just 512MB off
>> hand, but the rest of the system is certainly up to it.
>
> My computer is similar but with 768 of PC2100 RAM. Instanced zones on
> Balanced (but with shadows turned off) is fine. Towns can be kind of
> scary (I typically almost fall into the harbor in QH every time I use
> the bell
>:p ).
>
> I just ordered a gig of dual-channel PC3200 yesterday...I'm looking
> forward to seeing how much that helps. :)

1GB of dual channel PC3200 with an Athlon XP 3200+ runs great with the
balanced setting. I am running an ATi 9800 Pro 128MB video card with
that.