Connecting a BEFW11S4 Linksys Router to Motorola Surfboard

I am trying to connect a Linksys wireless router to an existing
Motorola Surfboard SB5100 Cable modem in order to use wireless.

I have connected the Ethernet port on the Motorola to the first
Ethernet port of the "LAN" ports, like connecting two hubs. If I
connect my PC to second Ethernet port on the Linksys the internet
connection works fine - proving that the connection between the two are
fine. My PC is given my DSL IP address, 84.x.x.x

When I connect via wireless to the Linksys I cannot use the internet;
this might be due to the fact that the wireless card is provided an
internal 192.168.x.x address provided by the router, and not the public
IP address.

What do I need to do to make this work? Maybe I need to create a
static route between the 192.168.x and 84.x networks on the linksys?

Any help would be appreciated. Hutton
4 answers Last reply
More about connecting befw11s4 linksys router motorola surfboard

    On 15 Aug 2005 07:43:06 -0700, h_henry@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I am trying to connect a Linksys wireless router to an existing
    >Motorola Surfboard SB5100 Cable modem in order to use wireless.
    >
    >I have connected the Ethernet port on the Motorola to the first
    >Ethernet port of the "LAN" ports, like connecting two hubs.

    Wrong.

    >If I
    >connect my PC to second Ethernet port on the Linksys the internet
    >connection works fine - proving that the connection between the two are
    >fine. My PC is given my DSL IP address, 84.x.x.x

    Yep. Your creative wiring has effectively turned your BEFW11S4 into a
    hub. Nice work.

    >When I connect via wireless to the Linksys I cannot use the internet;
    >this might be due to the fact that the wireless card is provided an
    >internal 192.168.x.x address provided by the router, and not the public
    >IP address.

    Also due to the fact that there's nothing connected to the WAN port on
    the BEFW11S4.

    >What do I need to do to make this work? Maybe I need to create a
    >static route between the 192.168.x and 84.x networks on the linksys?

    Start by reading the instructions. That's the little piece of paper
    included with the router full of legal disclaimers and aritistic
    renderings of what you have in front of you. There should be a
    pictorial of where the wires and cables go.

    Basically, you run a cable from the SB5100 ethernet port to the WAN or
    Internet port on your BEFW11s4. You plug your computah into one of
    the LAN ports. Point your web browser to:
    http://192.168.1.1
    and check the "Status" page. It should show your 84.xxx.xxx.xxx
    routeable IP addresses from your ISP. The rest is configuration which
    should be in the instructions.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    AE6KS 831-336-2558

    h_henry@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I am trying to connect a Linksys wireless router to an existing
    > Motorola Surfboard SB5100 Cable modem in order to use wireless.

    > I have connected the Ethernet port on the Motorola to the first
    > Ethernet port of the "LAN" ports, like connecting two hubs.

    You should connect to the WAN port of the Linksys.

    > If I connect my PC to second Ethernet port on the Linksys the internet
    > connection works fine - proving that the connection between the two are
    > fine. My PC is given my DSL IP address, 84.x.x.x

    > When I connect via wireless to the Linksys I cannot use the internet;
    > this might be due to the fact that the wireless card is provided an
    > internal 192.168.x.x address provided by the router, and not the public
    > IP address.

    You would need a cable modem configuration that supplied more than one IP
    address. If you connect to the WAN port of the router instead of the LAN
    port, all of the PCs will get addresses supplied by the router, and appear
    to the cable modem at a single IP address, the one you are now seeing on on
    PC.

    > What do I need to do to make this work? Maybe I need to create a
    > static route between the 192.168.x and 84.x networks on the linksys?

    You might need to clone the MAC address of the working PC into the router.

    --
    ---

    h_henry@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I am trying to connect a Linksys wireless router to an existing
    > Motorola Surfboard SB5100 Cable modem in order to use wireless.
    >
    > I have connected the Ethernet port on the Motorola to the first
    > Ethernet port of the "LAN" ports, like connecting two hubs. If I
    > connect my PC to second Ethernet port on the Linksys the internet
    > connection works fine - proving that the connection between the two are
    > fine. My PC is given my DSL IP address, 84.x.x.x
    >
    > When I connect via wireless to the Linksys I cannot use the internet;
    > this might be due to the fact that the wireless card is provided an
    > internal 192.168.x.x address provided by the router, and not the public
    > IP address.
    >
    > What do I need to do to make this work? Maybe I need to create a
    > static route between the 192.168.x and 84.x networks on the linksys?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. Hutton

    The router came with a manual and you should read it. :)

    The link shows what a NAT router does if you use it correctly.

    Duane :)

    Thanks for your help Clarence, I'll take a look. Hutton

    dold@XReXXConne.usenet.us.com wrote:
    > h_henry@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > I am trying to connect a Linksys wireless router to an existing
    > > Motorola Surfboard SB5100 Cable modem in order to use wireless.
    >
    > > I have connected the Ethernet port on the Motorola to the first
    > > Ethernet port of the "LAN" ports, like connecting two hubs.
    >
    > You should connect to the WAN port of the Linksys.
    >
    > > If I connect my PC to second Ethernet port on the Linksys the internet
    > > connection works fine - proving that the connection between the two are
    > > fine. My PC is given my DSL IP address, 84.x.x.x
    >
    > > When I connect via wireless to the Linksys I cannot use the internet;
    > > this might be due to the fact that the wireless card is provided an
    > > internal 192.168.x.x address provided by the router, and not the public
    > > IP address.
    >
    > You would need a cable modem configuration that supplied more than one IP
    > address. If you connect to the WAN port of the router instead of the LAN
    > port, all of the PCs will get addresses supplied by the router, and appear
    > to the cable modem at a single IP address, the one you are now seeing on on
    > PC.
    >
    > > What do I need to do to make this work? Maybe I need to create a
    > > static route between the 192.168.x and 84.x networks on the linksys?
    >
    > You might need to clone the MAC address of the working PC into the router.
    >
    > --
    > ---
    > Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8,-122.5

Wireless Linksys Connection Motorola Ethernet Card Wireless Networking