problem reformating xp home

ok this is it we have a few year old hp desktop and it's fubared thanks to
nasty virus "bloodhound" and we want to reformat. we have the one with the
recovery partition and no disks; the problem is that we can't get the
recovery section of puter to startup. Tried to find where to start it up
while running, and tried to crash system. When we crash the system the
recovery starts then before the program kicks in it comes up with a cutout of
a window that sais something like "not enough virtual memory" and something
about the pageing file" then it kinda like crashes again and starts up like
normal. the problem is now that we can't get a thing to start up at all now.
windows starts up automaticaly locked up and just shuts itself down after
about 15 min. please just let me know what i can do to startup in safe mode
to fix the prob. enough to destructive recovery.
8 answers Last reply
More about problem reformating home

    Hi jesse,

    Have a look at this information from HP's support site:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=bph07145&lc=en

    If you're having problems starting the recovery process from within Windows,
    click on the link in the above-mentioned site for "Recovering the system
    without using Windows".

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "jesse" <jesse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > ok this is it we have a few year old hp desktop and it's fubared thanks to
    > nasty virus "bloodhound" and we want to reformat. we have the one with the
    > recovery partition and no disks; the problem is that we can't get the
    > recovery section of puter to startup. Tried to find where to start it up
    > while running, and tried to crash system. When we crash the system the
    > recovery starts then before the program kicks in it comes up with a cutout
    of
    > a window that sais something like "not enough virtual memory" and
    something
    > about the pageing file" then it kinda like crashes again and starts up
    like
    > normal. the problem is now that we can't get a thing to start up at all
    now.
    > windows starts up automaticaly locked up and just shuts itself down after
    > about 15 min. please just let me know what i can do to startup in safe
    mode
    > to fix the prob. enough to destructive recovery.

    thank you patti but that's what i've been trying to do and it comes up with
    "not enough virtual memory or the pageing file is to" and it just cuts off
    like it's jut putting up part of a widow. need major help pls.

    "Patti MacLeod" wrote:

    > Hi jesse,
    >
    > Have a look at this information from HP's support site:
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=bph07145&lc=en
    >
    > If you're having problems starting the recovery process from within Windows,
    > click on the link in the above-mentioned site for "Recovering the system
    > without using Windows".
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > --
    > Patti MacLeod
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >
    > "jesse" <jesse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > ok this is it we have a few year old hp desktop and it's fubared thanks to
    > > nasty virus "bloodhound" and we want to reformat. we have the one with the
    > > recovery partition and no disks; the problem is that we can't get the
    > > recovery section of puter to startup. Tried to find where to start it up
    > > while running, and tried to crash system. When we crash the system the
    > > recovery starts then before the program kicks in it comes up with a cutout
    > of
    > > a window that sais something like "not enough virtual memory" and
    > something
    > > about the pageing file" then it kinda like crashes again and starts up
    > like
    > > normal. the problem is now that we can't get a thing to start up at all
    > now.
    > > windows starts up automaticaly locked up and just shuts itself down after
    > > about 15 min. please just let me know what i can do to startup in safe
    > mode
    > > to fix the prob. enough to destructive recovery.

    Okay, I thought that you had only attempted to start the Recovery from
    within Windows, not by invoking it outside of Windows when the computer is
    first starting/restarting (and prior to loading Windows).

    If you are able to boot into Safe Mode (following the instructions given to
    you by Rich Barry), and the computer does not automatically lock up, the
    follow the instructions in this MSKB article for the virtual memory/page
    file problem:

    Error Message: Your System Has No Paging File, or the Paging File Is Too
    Small

    Regards,

    --

    > thank you patti but that's what i've been trying to do and it comes up
    with
    > "not enough virtual memory or the pageing file is to" and it just cuts off
    > like it's jut putting up part of a widow. need major help pls.
    >

    > "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi jesse,
    > >
    > > Have a look at this information from HP's support site:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=bph07145&lc=en

    > > If you're having problems starting the recovery process from within
    Windows,
    > > click on the link in the above-mentioned site for "Recovering the system
    > > without using Windows".
    > >

    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > --
    > > Patti MacLeod
    > > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > >
    > > "jesse" <jesse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > ok this is it we have a few year old hp desktop and it's fubared
    thanks to
    > > > nasty virus "bloodhound" and we want to reformat. we have the one with
    the
    > > > recovery partition and no disks; the problem is that we can't get the
    > > > recovery section of puter to startup. Tried to find where to start it
    up
    > > > while running, and tried to crash system. When we crash the system the
    > > > recovery starts then before the program kicks in it comes up with a
    cutout
    > > of
    > > > a window that sais something like "not enough virtual memory" and
    > > something
    > > > about the pageing file" then it kinda like crashes again and starts up
    > > like
    > > > normal. the problem is now that we can't get a thing to start up at
    all
    > > now.
    > > > windows starts up automaticaly locked up and just shuts itself down
    after
    > > > about 15 min. please just let me know what i can do to startup in safe
    > > mode
    > > > to fix the prob. enough to destructive recovery.

    Jesse, try tapping F8 repeatedly until you get a Menu. Choose Safe Mode.
    "jesse" <jesse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > ok this is it we have a few year old hp desktop and it's fubared thanks to
    > nasty virus "bloodhound" and we want to reformat. we have the one with the
    > recovery partition and no disks; the problem is that we can't get the
    > recovery section of puter to startup. Tried to find where to start it up
    > while running, and tried to crash system. When we crash the system the
    > recovery starts then before the program kicks in it comes up with a cutout
    > of
    > a window that sais something like "not enough virtual memory" and
    > something
    > about the pageing file" then it kinda like crashes again and starts up
    > like
    > normal. the problem is now that we can't get a thing to start up at all
    > now.
    > windows starts up automaticaly locked up and just shuts itself down after
    > about 15 min. please just let me know what i can do to startup in safe
    > mode
    > to fix the prob. enough to destructive recovery.

    thank you rich that is part of what i need to know. lol now for how to get
    this recovery to actualy start up and i'm set.

    "Rich Barry" wrote:

    > Jesse, try tapping F8 repeatedly until you get a Menu. Choose Safe Mode.
    > "jesse" <jesse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > ok this is it we have a few year old hp desktop and it's fubared thanks to
    > > nasty virus "bloodhound" and we want to reformat. we have the one with the
    > > recovery partition and no disks; the problem is that we can't get the
    > > recovery section of puter to startup. Tried to find where to start it up
    > > while running, and tried to crash system. When we crash the system the
    > > recovery starts then before the program kicks in it comes up with a cutout
    > > of
    > > a window that sais something like "not enough virtual memory" and
    > > something
    > > about the pageing file" then it kinda like crashes again and starts up
    > > like
    > > normal. the problem is now that we can't get a thing to start up at all
    > > now.
    > > windows starts up automaticaly locked up and just shuts itself down after
    > > about 15 min. please just let me know what i can do to startup in safe
    > > mode
    > > to fix the prob. enough to destructive recovery.

    ok we just tried to start recovery in windows and it said that the drive or
    device you are trying to connect to is not available or something like that.
    can i get around that one or what man i need help lol

    "Patti MacLeod" wrote:

    > Okay, I thought that you had only attempted to start the Recovery from
    > within Windows, not by invoking it outside of Windows when the computer is
    > first starting/restarting (and prior to loading Windows).
    >
    > If you are able to boot into Safe Mode (following the instructions given to
    > you by Rich Barry), and the computer does not automatically lock up, the
    > follow the instructions in this MSKB article for the virtual memory/page
    > file problem:
    >
    > Error Message: Your System Has No Paging File, or the Paging File Is Too
    > Small
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=315270
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > --
    > Patti MacLeod
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >
    > "jesse" <jesse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > thank you patti but that's what i've been trying to do and it comes up
    > with
    > > "not enough virtual memory or the pageing file is to" and it just cuts off
    > > like it's jut putting up part of a widow. need major help pls.
    > >

    > > "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi jesse,
    > > >
    > > > Have a look at this information from HP's support site:
    > > >
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=bph07145&lc=en
    > > >
    > > > If you're having problems starting the recovery process from within
    > Windows,
    > > > click on the link in the above-mentioned site for "Recovering the system
    > > > without using Windows".
    > > >

    > > > Regards,
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Patti MacLeod
    > > > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > > >
    > > > "jesse" <jesse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > thanks to
    > the
    > up
    > cutout
    > > > of
    > > > something
    > > > like
    > all
    > > > now.
    > after
    > > > mode

    I wonder if the "drive or device is unavailable" message is referring to the
    hidden partition that contains the files to perform the recovery, or if it's
    referring to the state of the hard disk itself.

    If that computer has a floppy drive installed, you could run the fdisk/mbr
    command, as stated in the "Recovery fails after using Fdisk to partition the
    hard drive" portion of the HP Document, "Troubleshooting System Recovery
    Problems in Microsoft(R) Windows XP":
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=bph07144#N10103
    To run that command, you would need a WIN98 startup floppy disk (or the set
    of six XP Setup disks, from which you could invoke the Recovery Console and
    run the fixmbr command). The d/loadable files to create either of these are
    available from here (the link for the XP Setup Disks brings you to the MSKB
    article from whence you can d/load the appropriate file):
    http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    For the WIN98 startup floppy disk, click on the link for Windows 98 SE,
    Custom, No Ramdrive and d/load the file to hard drive (do NOT d/load the
    file directly to a floppy disk, as this does NOT create the startup disk).
    Once the file is d/loaded, put a formatted floppy disk in the drive and then
    double-click on the d/loaded file in order to create the startup disk.

    Regards,

    --

    > ok we just tried to start recovery in windows and it said that the drive
    or
    > device you are trying to connect to is not available or something like
    that.
    > can i get around that one or what man i need help lol
    >

    > "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
    >
    > > Okay, I thought that you had only attempted to start the Recovery from
    > > within Windows, not by invoking it outside of Windows when the computer
    is
    > > first starting/restarting (and prior to loading Windows).
    > >
    > > If you are able to boot into Safe Mode (following the instructions given
    > > you by Rich Barry), and the computer does not automatically lock up, the
    > > follow the instructions in this MSKB article for the virtual memory/page
    > > file problem:
    > >
    > > Error Message: Your System Has No Paging File, or the Paging File Is Too
    > > Small
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=315270
    > >

    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > --
    > > Patti MacLeod
    > > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > >
    > > "jesse" <jesse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > thank you patti but that's what i've been trying to do and it comes up
    > > with
    > > > "not enough virtual memory or the pageing file is to" and it just cuts
    off
    > > > like it's jut putting up part of a widow. need major help pls.

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=bph07145&lc=en

    > > Windows,

    > > thanks to
    > > the
    > > up
    > > cutout
    > > all
    > > after

    Article ID 315270 did not work for me

    On the Intel site I checked my chipset using their utility, down loaded the
    appropriate "Application Accelerator" and installed it.

    This cleared up the problem.

    SP2 and xp repair started my little anventure into this realm.

Data Recovery Windows XP