problem after problem after problem

to cut a very long story short i had to get my computer re formated back to
its original factory state. meaning every program i had ever installed was
lost!!

I now have a very nice clean xp home (pre installed when i brought the
computer) and norton 2005 in which i installed asap after the problems i had
occured.

last night i tried to install office 2003 back on my computer and a box
poped up telling me there is an error and my computer needs to be updated
before installation can take place.

i go to the update page and my computer checks for updates and then nothing.
I can not get any updates. I have automatic updates on and this doesnt seem
to be working either.

I dont even have service pack one on my computer either.

How can i update my computer when i can not get updates!! I need office 2003
installed for work purposes!!!

if anyone can help me please do.

if anyone has any suggestions as to why when i go to the update page it
doesnt show me any updates please tell me as that is my major problem because
if that was fixed then im sure office 2003 could be installed.

i was accidently given when i brought my computer a xp pro disc (not sure if
its an upgrade disc or what as its just one of those discs that says "only to
be distributed with a new pc" and i also had this installed onto my computer
but that is gone. I was wondering if i should install this because at least
this comes with service pack one.

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease anyone

many t hanks in advance totally appreciate it, its been a two months of
trouble so far

The Aussie Girl wrote:
> to cut a very long story short i had to get my computer re formated
> back to its original factory state. meaning every program i had ever
> installed was lost!!
>
> I now have a very nice clean xp home (pre installed when i brought the
> computer) and norton 2005 in which i installed asap after the
> problems i had occured.
>
> last night i tried to install office 2003 back on my computer and a
> box poped up telling me there is an error and my computer needs to be
> updated before installation can take place.
>
> i go to the update page and my computer checks for updates and then
> nothing. I can not get any updates. I have automatic updates on and
> this doesnt seem to be working either.
>
> I dont even have service pack one on my computer either.
>
> How can i update my computer when i can not get updates!! I need
> office 2003 installed for work purposes!!!
>
> if anyone can help me please do.
>
> if anyone has any suggestions as to why when i go to the update page
> it doesnt show me any updates please tell me as that is my major
> problem because if that was fixed then im sure office 2003 could be
> installed.
>
> i was accidently given when i brought my computer a xp pro disc (not
> sure if its an upgrade disc or what as its just one of those discs
> that says "only to be distributed with a new pc" and i also had this
> installed onto my computer but that is gone. I was wondering if i
> should install this because at least this comes with service pack one.
>
> pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease anyone
>
> many t hanks in advance totally appreciate it, its been a two months
> of trouble so far

Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
http://snipurl.com/8bqy

Get the full service pack 2 file and run it.
See if that helps.

--
<- Shenan ->

Major computer stores may well have free copies of the MS SP2 installation
CD available.. you can also order it for FREE..

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"The Aussie Girl" <TheAussieGirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> to cut a very long story short i had to get my computer re formated back
> its original factory state. meaning every program i had ever installed was
> lost!!
>
> I now have a very nice clean xp home (pre installed when i brought the
> computer) and norton 2005 in which i installed asap after the problems i
> had
> occured.
>
> last night i tried to install office 2003 back on my computer and a box
> poped up telling me there is an error and my computer needs to be updated
> before installation can take place.
>
> i go to the update page and my computer checks for updates and then
> nothing.
> I can not get any updates. I have automatic updates on and this doesnt
> seem
> to be working either.
>
> I dont even have service pack one on my computer either.
>
> How can i update my computer when i can not get updates!! I need office
> 2003
> installed for work purposes!!!
>
> if anyone can help me please do.
>
> if anyone has any suggestions as to why when i go to the update page it
> doesnt show me any updates please tell me as that is my major problem
> because
> if that was fixed then im sure office 2003 could be installed.
>
> i was accidently given when i brought my computer a xp pro disc (not sure
> if
> its an upgrade disc or what as its just one of those discs that says "only
> be distributed with a new pc" and i also had this installed onto my
> computer
> but that is gone. I was wondering if i should install this because at
> least
> this comes with service pack one.
>
> pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease anyone
>
> many t hanks in advance totally appreciate it, its been a two months of
> trouble so far

Aussie Girl,
on your browser, click HELP, click ABOUT INTERNET EXPLORER if u using
Explorer, it should give you information about your update version SP2 or SP1.
Let us know which one,
JerryO