Recovery Console OEM

I have a Toshiba Satellite M40 laptop with XP home.
However, the machine came with a proprietary recovery cd.
I want to access the recovery console. I've been all over
the net trying to find a solution. No luck. What I did
find out was that I could: buy a retail copy of XP(duh),
or download the startup diskettes from microsoft(don't
have a floppy drive). The recovery cd from toshiba will
only recover the machine to the out of box state. That is
not an option. Just want to run the fixmbr command. Can
anyone tell me my options? Toshiba does not support
anything other than full recovery(actually, they don't
support much of anything). Now, can I download the
diskette images, and make a bootable cd that will get me
into the recovery console? If not, is there another
solution? Thanks in advance.
5 answers Last reply
More about recovery console

    Consider buying (or borrowing) a USB floppy drive. Most PCs that have no
    floppy can be booted from a USB device, floppy or even a pen drive.
    However, you will likely have to change a few BIOS settings to (1) allow
    booting from a specific USB device class, and (2) to boot from USB before
    attempting to boot from the hard drive.

    Plan B: Use any XP CDROM to run the recovery console, since product
    activation is not used for the recovery console.

    "gderreck" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Toshiba Satellite M40 laptop with XP home.
    > However, the machine came with a proprietary recovery cd.
    > I want to access the recovery console. I've been all over
    > the net trying to find a solution. No luck. What I did
    > find out was that I could: buy a retail copy of XP(duh),
    > or download the startup diskettes from microsoft(don't
    > have a floppy drive). The recovery cd from toshiba will
    > only recover the machine to the out of box state. That is
    > not an option. Just want to run the fixmbr command. Can
    > anyone tell me my options? Toshiba does not support
    > anything other than full recovery(actually, they don't
    > support much of anything). Now, can I download the
    > diskette images, and make a bootable cd that will get me
    > into the recovery console? If not, is there another
    > solution? Thanks in advance.

    "gderreck" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have a Toshiba Satellite M40 laptop with XP home.
    >However, the machine came with a proprietary recovery cd.
    >I want to access the recovery console. I've been all over
    >the net trying to find a solution. No luck. What I did
    >find out was that I could: buy a retail copy of XP(duh),
    >or download the startup diskettes from microsoft(don't
    >have a floppy drive). The recovery cd from toshiba will
    >only recover the machine to the out of box state. That is
    >not an option. Just want to run the fixmbr command. Can
    >anyone tell me my options? Toshiba does not support
    >anything other than full recovery(actually, they don't
    >support much of anything). Now, can I download the
    >diskette images, and make a bootable cd that will get me
    >into the recovery console? If not, is there another
    >solution? Thanks in advance.

    Try using Bart's PE Builder from http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ to
    create a bootable CD. Note - I am not sure if your Toshiba "system
    recovery" CD will work for this but it is worth trying.

    Once booted with the Bart's CD you can open a Command Prompt window
    and run the recovery console commands.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Thanks for the replies. Maybe the floppy would be the
    best bet. Toshiba recovery cd is rigid...no options. One
    more thought on this. Toshiba has a utility that can
    create a bootable SD memory card. Would I be able to copy
    all floppies onto the SD card and use it to get into
    recovery? Thanks again.

    "gderreck" wrote:
    >I have a Toshiba Satellite M40 laptop with XP home.
    >However, the machine came with a proprietary recovery cd.
    >I want to access the recovery console. I’ve been all over
    >the net trying to find a solution. No luck. What I did
    >find out was that I could: buy a retail copy of XP(duh),
    >or download the startup diskettes from microsoft(don’t
    >have a floppy drive). The recovery cd from toshiba will
    >only recover the machine to the out of box state. That is
    >not an option. Just want to run the fixmbr command. Can
    >anyone tell me my options? Toshiba does not support
    >anything other than full recovery(actually, they don’t
    >support much of anything). Now, can I download the
    >diskette images, and make a bootable cd that will get me
    >into the recovery console? If not, is there another
    >solution? Thanks in advance.

    same problem..how did you resolved it?

    Raul

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Perform-Maintain-Recovery-Console-OEM-ftopict351441.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1177649

    http://www.usenet.com

Data Recovery Recovery Console Toshiba Windows XP