Nathan

I just got EQ Platinum for Christmas. I used to play EQ classic about
1.5 years ago. I had one expansion for it but I don't recall which.

But anyway now I just signed up for a new acct with EQ platinum.
Platinum has EQ Classic, Ruins of Kunark, Scars of Velious, Shadows of
Luclin, Planes of Power, Legacy of Ykesha, Gates of Discord and Lost
Dungeons of Norrath.

I was not sure if it would work on my almost 2 years old laptop (I have
a desktop too but its even older). Laptop Specs are Celeron 2.0 Ghz, 256
meg RAM, 20 gig HDD, Intel Extreme Graphics video. The graphics is what
I was afraid would keep it from working but for the 15 minutes or so of
play so far it has been ok. ;)

I noticed in the advanced options on the check for new files screen that
there were other packs I could download like Everquest Legends, Omens of
War and "optional Zones"

I checked that I did want these three things and it downloaded a bunch
more files. Does this mean I now have access to Omens of war and
Legends? Because I thought Legends was like $30/month to use that server
and I never heard of Omens of war. Any idea what exactly the "optional
Zones" are?

Basically do I have to buy anything more to use Omens of War and these
optional Zones? Like I said after I installed EQ Platinum and check in
Advanced that I wanted the Omens of War, Legends and option Zones it
downloaded a bunch more files.

Another thing. Since its been a LONG time since I have played what are
the hot web sites to get tips/tricks/any helpful 3rd party apps or
helpers ( I don't mean cheats ).

Thanks in Advance for any guidance

Nathan <no@spam.net> wrote:
> I checked that I did want these three things and it downloaded a bunch
> more files. Does this mean I now have access to Omens of war and
> Legends? Because I thought Legends was like $30/month to use that server
> and I never heard of Omens of war. Any idea what exactly the "optional
> Zones" are?
I don't know what you possibly could have downloaded for legends but OoW
is another expansion. And the only one you are missing right now. But as
OoW starts with lvl50+ I'd say you can do fine without it. At least for
a while. To use it you have to buy a key to register it with your
account. So no, the files you've downloaded just sit around on your
HD. :)

Hagen

Hagen Sienhold <durragon@web.de> wrote in

> Nathan <no@spam.net> wrote:
>> I checked that I did want these three things and it downloaded a bunch
>> more files. Does this mean I now have access to Omens of war and
>> Legends? Because I thought Legends was like $30/month to use that
server
>> and I never heard of Omens of war. Any idea what exactly the "optional
>> Zones" are?
> I don't know what you possibly could have downloaded for legends but
OoW
> is another expansion. And the only one you are missing right now. But
as
> OoW starts with lvl50+ I'd say you can do fine without it. At least for
> a while. To use it you have to buy a key to register it with your
> account. So no, the files you've downloaded just sit around on your
> HD. :)
>

> Hagen

Legends server has some additional zones and/or tweaked zones. It is
somewhat different from the other live servers.

If you (the OP) ever do get OOW, then you will already have it
downloaded, so you won't have to install it and then patch it, just
register it, and you will be ready to go with it. As Hagen pointed out
though, it is intended for higher level players than you will likely be
for a while.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 19 Dwarven Shaman, 17 Scholar

"Nathan" <no@spam.net> wrote in message

> But anyway now I just signed up for a new acct with EQ platinum.
> Platinum has EQ Classic, Ruins of Kunark, Scars of Velious, Shadows of
> Luclin, Planes of Power, Legacy of Ykesha, Gates of Discord and Lost
> Dungeons of Norrath.
>
> I was not sure if it would work on my almost 2 years old laptop (I have
> a desktop too but its even older). Laptop Specs are Celeron 2.0 Ghz, 256
> meg RAM, 20 gig HDD, Intel Extreme Graphics video. The graphics is what
> I was afraid would keep it from working but for the 15 minutes or so of
> play so far it has been ok. ;)

it should be alright to run it, the ram is low but my ex hubby's system only
had 256 in it and he found it playable, other than that I'm running 2
windows of eq just fine on a system that yours squishes lol, amd 750 with a
32 mb graphics card and 516 ram (sad but works lol)
You'll just have to run with the old models on, texture caching probably
help a good bit as well :) (go intot he options screen where you log in)
(excuse me if this doesn't make much sense, been awake a total of 10 minutes
now)

"Mysca" <myscaREMOVETHIS@rogers.com> wrote in

> "Nathan" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
>
>> But anyway now I just signed up for a new acct with EQ platinum.
>> Platinum has EQ Classic, Ruins of Kunark, Scars of Velious, Shadows
>> of Luclin, Planes of Power, Legacy of Ykesha, Gates of Discord and
>> Lost Dungeons of Norrath.
>>
>> I was not sure if it would work on my almost 2 years old laptop (I
>> have a desktop too but its even older). Laptop Specs are Celeron 2.0
>> Ghz, 256 meg RAM, 20 gig HDD, Intel Extreme Graphics video. The
>> graphics is what I was afraid would keep it from working but for the
>> 15 minutes or so of play so far it has been ok. ;)
>>

> it should be alright to run it, the ram is low but my ex hubby's
> system only had 256 in it and he found it playable, other than that
> I'm running 2 windows of eq just fine on a system that yours squishes
> lol, amd 750 with a 32 mb graphics card and 516 ram (sad but works
> lol) You'll just have to run with the old models on, texture caching
> probably help a good bit as well :) (go intot he options screen where
> you log in) (excuse me if this doesn't make much sense, been awake a
> total of 10 minutes now)

Not sure if that video will work with EQ off hand, check out the SOE
website for information on what cards are supported.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 19 Dwarven Shaman, 17 Scholar

"Nathan" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
> I was not sure if it would work on my almost 2 years old laptop (I have
> a desktop too but its even older). Laptop Specs are Celeron 2.0 Ghz, 256
> meg RAM, 20 gig HDD, Intel Extreme Graphics video. The graphics is what
> I was afraid would keep it from working but for the 15 minutes or so of
> play so far it has been ok. ;)

I played EQ for over a year on a very similar setup... it was a 2.4 GHz
laptop with the same nasty graphics card, but had 512 MB of ram and an 80
gig HD. It was fine even on raids, but the onboard graphics eventually got
a bit fried - it's got alot of glitches now (like when watching a DVD, if a
subtitle pops up, the movie goes black... and some random lockups etc.)

Be sure you set Texture Quality to 'low', that makes a huge difference, and
turn on only the character models that you really really want. Also helped
to keep spell effects off, or at least set it to 'me only' or 'me + NPC' in
the options.

So all in all, you can play EQ fine on that computer, but try not to do it
for too long - it will kill the graphics card eventually.

When OoW came out, I had just gotten a brand new and very nice computerm, so
it was very nice to play with all models and high texture quality on with no
lag ;)

> Any idea what exactly the "optional
> Zones" are?

These are zones that have been added to the game... such as Stonebrunt
Mountains, that druid/ranger zone off of Surefall Glade, etc... not sure if
these still need to be patched through the optional zone selection..

Good call on downloading these, since you never know when you'll get a group
going to one of these zones, and you'll get booted or ported to a safe point
when you try to zone in, because you don't have the zone file on your
computer.

> Another thing. Since its been a LONG time since I have played what are
> the hot web sites to get tips/tricks/any helpful 3rd party apps or
> helpers ( I don't mean cheats ).

ShowEQ is used by alot of people - all it does is give you really really
good tracking, showing you where and what everything in the zone is. I
think SOE has stated that they don't care about programs like ShowEQ, and
would rather try to get rid of the programs that actually modify the game
(like macroquest)

Warlock Hexfate Decay
70 Necro of Tarew Marr
-Now Vincit Omnia, 20 Inquisitor/16 Craftsman of Unrest

"Ryan T" <ryan@dontemailme.ca> wrote in

> "Nathan" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
>> Another thing. Since its been a LONG time since I have played what
>> are the hot web sites to get tips/tricks/any helpful 3rd party apps
>> or helpers ( I don't mean cheats ).
>
> ShowEQ is used by alot of people - all it does is give you really
> really good tracking, showing you where and what everything in the
> zone is. I think SOE has stated that they don't care about programs
> like ShowEQ, and would rather try to get rid of the programs that
> actually modify the game (like macroquest)

No, using ShowEQ is a bannable offense, assuming they somehow find our you
are using it. I might add, using it is cheating, and Nathan specifically
excluded cheats from what he was interested in.