Slow desktop icons after login

I have a Dell Latitude X300 laptop with Windows Xp SP2. Recently the machine
started to take approx. 2 minutes to show the desktop icons after enetring
Username and Pass. We re-ran the service pack, deleted mapped drives, etc.
Don't know what else to try. Shouldn't take that long to show the desktop
after logging in.
No new programs installed that I am aware of. Ran virus and spyware/adware
scans and all is clean.

Any ideas?
3 answers Last reply
More about slow desktop icons login

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:33:02 -0800, Tony C
    <TonyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have a Dell Latitude X300 laptop with Windows Xp SP2. Recently the machine
    >started to take approx. 2 minutes to show the desktop icons after enetring
    >Username and Pass. We re-ran the service pack, deleted mapped drives, etc.
    >Don't know what else to try. Shouldn't take that long to show the desktop
    >after logging in.
    >No new programs installed that I am aware of. Ran virus and spyware/adware
    >scans and all is clean.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    Check the event log for error messages.
    Act on those if they're present.

    If not helpful, use msconfig to temporarily disable
    the startup items. reboot the machine.
    Problem gone or still present?

    Dave

    There are no events logged that aren't normal when not connected to the
    domain. Tried doing a selective boot and still no go. The only "anomaly" I
    see is that for some reason there are two video cards loaded. When I tried to
    uninstall one, it reappears on next reboot.
    Also, just learned that the user had previously detached the laptop form the
    docking station prematurely. I've known this to cause problems in the past.
    I'll have to try a repair on it when I get it again.

    "da_test" wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:33:02 -0800, Tony C
    > <TonyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have a Dell Latitude X300 laptop with Windows Xp SP2. Recently the machine
    > >started to take approx. 2 minutes to show the desktop icons after enetring
    > >Username and Pass. We re-ran the service pack, deleted mapped drives, etc.
    > >Don't know what else to try. Shouldn't take that long to show the desktop
    > >after logging in.
    > >No new programs installed that I am aware of. Ran virus and spyware/adware
    > >scans and all is clean.
    > >
    > >Any ideas?
    > Check the event log for error messages.
    > Act on those if they're present.
    >
    > If not helpful, use msconfig to temporarily disable
    > the startup items. reboot the machine.
    > Problem gone or still present?
    >
    > Dave

    Have you solved this issue yet? I have the same laptop with the same problem?

    "Tony C" wrote:

    > There are no events logged that aren't normal when not connected to the
    > domain. Tried doing a selective boot and still no go. The only "anomaly" I
    > see is that for some reason there are two video cards loaded. When I tried to
    > uninstall one, it reappears on next reboot.
    > Also, just learned that the user had previously detached the laptop form the
    > docking station prematurely. I've known this to cause problems in the past.
    > I'll have to try a repair on it when I get it again.
    >

    > "da_test" wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:33:02 -0800, Tony C
    > > <TonyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >I have a Dell Latitude X300 laptop with Windows Xp SP2. Recently the machine
    > > >started to take approx. 2 minutes to show the desktop icons after enetring
    > > >Username and Pass. We re-ran the service pack, deleted mapped drives, etc.
    > > >Don't know what else to try. Shouldn't take that long to show the desktop
    > > >after logging in.
    > > >No new programs installed that I am aware of. Ran virus and spyware/adware
    > > >scans and all is clean.
    > > >
    > > >Any ideas?
    > > Check the event log for error messages.
    > > Act on those if they're present.
    > >
    > > If not helpful, use msconfig to temporarily disable
    > > the startup items. reboot the machine.
    > > Problem gone or still present?
    > >
    > > Dave

Login Desktop Icons Windows XP