Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

How to Reduce Ping While Playing a Game?

Tags:
  • Lag
  • Games
  • Video Games
  • PC gaming
Last response: in PC Gaming
December 30, 2011 1:39:58 PM

When I play games the ping I get used to cause lag. How can I reduce my ping and lag? Thanks!

More about : reduce ping playing game

December 30, 2011 2:16:23 PM

Many things can cause high ping in games. The further you are away from the Hosts server the higher the ping will be - to a lesser extent your router and cables will also affect the ping.... for best results avoid wireless.
m
0
l
December 30, 2011 3:19:52 PM

Well you need better bandwidth to play properly online games. But if you play on the servers that are of your own country then your ping will be very low or else start your own server and your ping will be the lowest.
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 30, 2011 3:26:39 PM

pings being low in your own country is a complete lie. Living on the east coast and having game servers on the west coast I can attest to that.

You can talk to your ISP, but oftentimes it will fall on deaf ears.

you can give this a try: www.lagbuster.com/
m
0
l
December 30, 2011 3:31:56 PM

That's not true actually. I have already tested this by myself. While playing COD MW on other country servers my ping used to stay at 300+ but on my own country servers it used to come at 120 so that's called lowering of ping.
m
0
l
December 30, 2011 3:34:25 PM

lol. so what you say is that if while living in Boston I use a server in Toronto I will have higher ping than if I use a server that's in San Diego? just because one server is in canada and another in USA?
m
0
l
December 30, 2011 3:37:52 PM

All i know is this that the ping depends on the distance from the server so nearer the server better will be the ping. You should test that by yourself like i did.
m
0
l
December 30, 2011 5:44:50 PM

yes exactly it depends on physical distance, political allegiance of the server has nothing to do with it
m
0
l
December 30, 2011 5:57:18 PM

You can see the difference if you are playing on an Asian server and then you will be switch back to you local server for sure.
m
0
l
December 31, 2011 3:05:19 AM

The most common way to lower latency in some games is with the nagle algorithm. You can search for Leatrix Latency Fix which will execute itself and effectively do all of the leg work for you. This is a popular mod for windows 7 world of warcraft players, and as far as I know can have similar results in some other games depending on how they traffic packets.
m
0
l

Best solution

December 31, 2011 3:13:05 AM

the best way to minimize ping, be on a fiber optic network for a start. then tune your connection to your actual line speed... if you bought a 10mb line but you only get 6mb then tune the Ethernet to 6 (there are lots of apps to do this, iobit do one for free )
then you go into your game and tune it to your line also.
some games like bf3 allow you to set your ping manually to match the server your connected 2 but if you set it to high or to low you will lag so dont go thinking because your on a 40 ping server you can set yours to 10 and not cause lag. you have to set it to 40 +/- 2-3%...
but the best way to get the best ping is to be close to the game server. the closer you are the less chance there is of you having a failed hop (where you jump from 1 relay to another)...
there are other ways like adjusting ingame cvars but not all are legal so check to see if theres some warnings b4 you change em... things like max packets/packet dup/ should be ok...
caution: you can loose packet data if your timings dont sync with the server. if they get there 2 fast the server may dump them as double packets so make sure you have packet dup turned on while your tweaking... and try to match your packets with your fps or a multiple of.(this is the timing im on about)
if your on a router then get off it and connect directly to your modem with a wire, not wireless. every step you put in the link adds more delay when your talking gaming. if you have no option but to share a network make sure your pc is at the top of the list of allowed shares on the router. but again always use a wire not wireless, that way your pc should always have packet priority.
other than that there isnt much you can do.
Share
December 10, 2013 11:40:30 PM

If you have a decent connection and you think you dont have any issue with your isp. then i would suggest you to try private networks like
1-WTFast
2-Battleping
3-PureVPN

try anyone of these. and I hope it will do the job
m
0
l
December 11, 2013 8:17:37 AM

By the OP's name i guess he lives in India
And playing a multiplayer game is the last thing u would do in a country like India
m
0
l
December 12, 2013 2:51:49 AM

why is that so? what connection do you have, or more precisely, what upload/download and ms do you get?
m
0
l
December 12, 2013 4:01:53 AM

I play L4D2 a whole load of times in a week and I'm from India on a 6mbps connection (not fibre). I usually connect to a server in Thailand/ Singapore and get pings in the range of 110-200. When I connect to an Indian server, it shoots up to ranges like 350-600. So, I'm gonna go with AntiZig's theory of relativity!
m
0
l
December 12, 2013 4:05:29 AM

namelessonez said:
I play L4D2 a whole load of times in a week and I'm from India on a 6mbps connection (not fibre). I usually connect to a server in Thailand/ Singapore and get pings in the range of 110-200. When I connect to an Indian server, it shoots up to ranges like 350-600. So, I'm gonna go with AntiZig's theory of relativity!


That is because India has shit internet infrastructure. There can't be dedicated servers in India because of the same reason. India's internet infrastructure compares to the ones in African nations like Sudan
m
-1
l
December 12, 2013 4:11:03 AM

why are you so anti about India?
m
0
l
December 12, 2013 4:26:53 AM

moix123 said:
why are you so anti about India?


Because i live in the same country. I have a 512Kbps connection(It is actually 4Mbps till 8GB and 512Kbps thereafter so 512Kbps connection). And i get 300+ms in Dota 2. There is only one server in Singapore for the whole of Asia. And China is the most populated country of the world and India is the second most populated country of the world and the whole of Asia gets only one server for Dota 2(There was a Chinese server before that also got removed). And the funny thing is Chinese win tournaments because their skill is elevated by the high ping. I play Dota 2 because it's free and high ping is tolerable. I wouldn't buy BF4 or BF3

I just noticed OP chose a soln but didn't comment

m
0
l
December 12, 2013 4:58:07 AM

You i can feel that rage because i am your neighbour. I thought Pakistani net are the crappiest. I play dota 2 and i get 150 ms ping on singapore server without any VPN and with VPN i get 72 ms
m
0
l
December 12, 2013 5:44:11 AM

I really wanted to know which country OP was from?

Here is a State of the Internet report
http://www.akamai.com/dl/documents/akamai_soti_q213.pdf...
In Section 10: Appendix
Even if India is the second most populated country of the world it has such a low attack traffic and unique IP addresses . Avg. conn speed is 1.3Mbps whereas Sudan has 2.1Mbps
The most important thing to note is that Akamai does not consider FUP policies and data cap limits so considering that u can imagine where India lies
m
0
l
July 3, 2014 3:12:48 AM

AntiZig said:
lol. so what you say is that if while living in Boston I use a server in Toronto I will have higher ping than if I use a server that's in San Diego? just because one server is in canada and another in USA?


Ping servers are based off of regions, Canada is in the same region as the US.
m
0
l
July 22, 2014 7:23:57 AM

chimera201 said:
moix123 said:
why are you so anti about India?


Because i live in the same country. I have a 512Kbps connection(It is actually 4Mbps till 8GB and 512Kbps thereafter so 512Kbps connection). And i get 300+ms in Dota 2. There is only one server in Singapore for the whole of Asia. And China is the most populated country of the world and India is the second most populated country of the world and the whole of Asia gets only one server for Dota 2(There was a Chinese server before that also got removed). And the funny thing is Chinese win tournaments because their skill is elevated by the high ping. I play Dota 2 because it's free and high ping is tolerable. I wouldn't buy BF4 or BF3

I just noticed OP chose a soln but didn't comment



looks like u got the BSNL unlimited plan. I used the same home didnt cause any problem. Now in college I use a Photon Maxx @ 6.1mbps which literally fucks up my game.
m
0
l
September 29, 2014 11:13:59 PM

try playing Lol. its better than dota and has the same feel. and you have less ping even on the eu servers. but for low ping try garena(singapore)
if u try europe nordic and east server, after sign up use my name "Devilreaper" in the referral option
m
0
l
January 2, 2015 6:04:29 PM

moix123 said:
You i can feel that rage because i am your neighbour. I thought Pakistani net are the crappiest. I play dota 2 and i get 150 ms ping on singapore server without any VPN and with VPN i get 72 ms


HA. HAHAHAHhahahaahahahshafasdgd NO. New Zealand has the worst Ping ever. I play all games on an average of 300-400 ping and any MMOs at almost 1k, and I'm on 10mBps.... I crie evertiem..
m
0
l
January 2, 2015 6:10:32 PM



From NZ.

You need to stop playing on servers in Russia. Because that's about the only place you can get pings that long to.
m
0
l
August 3, 2015 3:28:06 PM

people are complaining about their high ping that goes up to 600 and slow internet speeds such as 6 mbps, meanwhile I am here in Egypt with 1 mbps and 1600 ping with the shitiest isps in history, even vodafone is extremely bad
m
0
l
August 3, 2015 9:26:20 PM

Multimzain1 said:
people are complaining about their high ping that goes up to 600 and slow internet speeds such as 6 mbps, meanwhile I am here in Egypt with 1 mbps and 1600 ping with the shitiest isps in history, even vodafone is extremely bad

Mobile has always been bad (though LTE is slowly changing that). It wasn't built for data use, and tends to be massively overloaded.

If you care about speed, get fixed line broadband. If everyone used mobile, you'd see far far worse performance.
m
0
l
August 5, 2015 9:38:16 PM

Someone Somewhere said:
Multimzain1 said:
people are complaining about their high ping that goes up to 600 and slow internet speeds such as 6 mbps, meanwhile I am here in Egypt with 1 mbps and 1600 ping with the shitiest isps in history, even vodafone is extremely bad

Mobile has always been bad (though LTE is slowly changing that). It wasn't built for data use, and tends to be massively overloaded.

If you care about speed, get fixed line broadband. If everyone used mobile, you'd see far far worse performance.

i didnt anything about mobile data XD , I am using a fixed line broadband yet its still 1600 ping and if i am lucky its only 600-700

m
0
l
August 6, 2015 2:54:03 AM

Multimzain1 said:

i didnt anything about mobile data XD , I am using a fixed line broadband yet its still 1600 ping and if i am lucky its only 600-700



Your ISP probably uses a bad routing algorithm. Like if you want to connect to Singapore it will route the data to Europe->US->Japan->Singapore when it should be directly connecting to Singapore. That's the reason for high ping.
m
0
l
August 6, 2015 2:56:47 AM

Can also be backhaul congestion - tends to happen with rural ADSL cabinets built for a couple of businesses and a few dozen phone lines, then everybody wants ADSL and the couple of E1 links get swamped.
m
0
l
June 5, 2016 10:53:10 AM

How do you tune line speed with iobit?? Please help

HEXiT said:
the best way to minimize ping, be on a fiber optic network for a start. then tune your connection to your actual line speed... if you bought a 10mb line but you only get 6mb then tune the Ethernet to 6 (there are lots of apps to do this, iobit do one for free )
then you go into your game and tune it to your line also.
some games like bf3 allow you to set your ping manually to match the server your connected 2 but if you set it to high or to low you will lag so dont go thinking because your on a 40 ping server you can set yours to 10 and not cause lag. you have to set it to 40 +/- 2-3%...
but the best way to get the best ping is to be close to the game server. the closer you are the less chance there is of you having a failed hop (where you jump from 1 relay to another)...
there are other ways like adjusting ingame cvars but not all are legal so check to see if theres some warnings b4 you change em... things like max packets/packet dup/ should be ok...
caution: you can loose packet data if your timings dont sync with the server. if they get there 2 fast the server may dump them as double packets so make sure you have packet dup turned on while your tweaking... and try to match your packets with your fps or a multiple of.(this is the timing im on about)
if your on a router then get off it and connect directly to your modem with a wire, not wireless. every step you put in the link adds more delay when your talking gaming. if you have no option but to share a network make sure your pc is at the top of the list of allowed shares on the router. but again always use a wire not wireless, that way your pc should always have packet priority.
other than that there isnt much you can do.


m
0
l
June 8, 2016 1:26:46 PM

Always play with a hardwired connection to your computer no matter how fast your internet speeds are you are vulnerable to packet loss. Running fiber optic is a joke because Fiber optic doesn't work by plugging in a new cord. The only way to use fiber optic is living in an area that is supported by Fiber Optic in which lots and lots of cities do not have and will not fund. My speeds run at 300mbz in texas but pinging different servers across the country vary in Ping speeds.. Like i said the best way to have the fastest Ping is to simply have your connection hard wired. There is minimal you will be able to do even if you buy a gaming top of the kine router.. Those top of the line router and modems only help you in Wifi speeds and if you're looking for greater coverage in connection.
m
0
l