How to Reduce Ping While Playing a Game?

Solution
the best way to minimize ping, be on a fiber optic network for a start. then tune your connection to your actual line speed... if you bought a 10mb line but you only get 6mb then tune the Ethernet to 6 (there are lots of apps to do this, iobit do one for free )
then you go into your game and tune it to your line also.
some games like bf3 allow you to set your ping manually to match the server your connected 2 but if you set it to high or to low you will lag so dont go thinking because your on a 40 ping server you can set yours to 10 and not cause lag. you have to set it to 40 +/- 2-3%...
but the best way to get the best ping is to be close to the game server. the closer you are the less chance there is of you having a failed hop (where...

ulysses35

Distinguished
Many things can cause high ping in games. The further you are away from the Hosts server the higher the ping will be - to a lesser extent your router and cables will also affect the ping.... for best results avoid wireless.

rocky41

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Well you need better bandwidth to play properly online games. But if you play on the servers that are of your own country then your ping will be very low or else start your own server and your ping will be the lowest.

pings being low in your own country is a complete lie. Living on the east coast and having game servers on the west coast I can attest to that.

You can talk to your ISP, but oftentimes it will fall on deaf ears.

you can give this a try: www.lagbuster.com/

rocky41

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
That's not true actually. I have already tested this by myself. While playing COD MW on other country servers my ping used to stay at 300+ but on my own country servers it used to come at 120 so that's called lowering of ping.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
The most common way to lower latency in some games is with the nagle algorithm. You can search for Leatrix Latency Fix which will execute itself and effectively do all of the leg work for you. This is a popular mod for windows 7 world of warcraft players, and as far as I know can have similar results in some other games depending on how they traffic packets.

the best way to minimize ping, be on a fiber optic network for a start. then tune your connection to your actual line speed... if you bought a 10mb line but you only get 6mb then tune the Ethernet to 6 (there are lots of apps to do this, iobit do one for free )
then you go into your game and tune it to your line also.
some games like bf3 allow you to set your ping manually to match the server your connected 2 but if you set it to high or to low you will lag so dont go thinking because your on a 40 ping server you can set yours to 10 and not cause lag. you have to set it to 40 +/- 2-3%...
but the best way to get the best ping is to be close to the game server. the closer you are the less chance there is of you having a failed hop (where you jump from 1 relay to another)...
there are other ways like adjusting ingame cvars but not all are legal so check to see if theres some warnings b4 you change em... things like max packets/packet dup/ should be ok...
caution: you can loose packet data if your timings dont sync with the server. if they get there 2 fast the server may dump them as double packets so make sure you have packet dup turned on while your tweaking... and try to match your packets with your fps or a multiple of.(this is the timing im on about)
if your on a router then get off it and connect directly to your modem with a wire, not wireless. every step you put in the link adds more delay when your talking gaming. if you have no option but to share a network make sure your pc is at the top of the list of allowed shares on the router. but again always use a wire not wireless, that way your pc should always have packet priority.
other than that there isnt much you can do.

Solution

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I play L4D2 a whole load of times in a week and I'm from India on a 6mbps connection (not fibre). I usually connect to a server in Thailand/ Singapore and get pings in the range of 110-200. When I connect to an Indian server, it shoots up to ranges like 350-600. So, I'm gonna go with AntiZig's theory of relativity!

That is because India has shit internet infrastructure. There can't be dedicated servers in India because of the same reason. India's internet infrastructure compares to the ones in African nations like Sudan

Because i live in the same country. I have a 512Kbps connection(It is actually 4Mbps till 8GB and 512Kbps thereafter so 512Kbps connection). And i get 300+ms in Dota 2. There is only one server in Singapore for the whole of Asia. And China is the most populated country of the world and India is the second most populated country of the world and the whole of Asia gets only one server for Dota 2(There was a Chinese server before that also got removed). And the funny thing is Chinese win tournaments because their skill is elevated by the high ping. I play Dota 2 because it's free and high ping is tolerable. I wouldn't buy BF4 or BF3

I just noticed OP chose a soln but didn't comment

I really wanted to know which country OP was from?

Here is a State of the Internet report
http://www.akamai.com/dl/documents/akamai_soti_q213.pdf?WT.mc_id=soti_Q213
In Section 10: Appendix
Even if India is the second most populated country of the world it has such a low attack traffic and unique IP addresses . Avg. conn speed is 1.3Mbps whereas Sudan has 2.1Mbps
The most important thing to note is that Akamai does not consider FUP policies and data cap limits so considering that u can imagine where India lies

kimballtr

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014

Ping servers are based off of regions, Canada is in the same region as the US.

sanmoron

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

looks like u got the BSNL unlimited plan. I used the same home didnt cause any problem. Now in college I use a Photon Maxx @ 6.1mbps which literally fucks up my game.

Noon Soon

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
try playing Lol. its better than dota and has the same feel. and you have less ping even on the eu servers. but for low ping try garena(singapore)
if u try europe nordic and east server, after sign up use my name "Devilreaper" in the referral option

SoftKitty

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

HA. HAHAHAHhahahaahahahshafasdgd NO. New Zealand has the worst Ping ever. I play all games on an average of 300-400 ping and any MMOs at almost 1k, and I'm on 10mBps.... I crie evertiem..

Multimzain1

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014
people are complaining about their high ping that goes up to 600 and slow internet speeds such as 6 mbps, meanwhile I am here in Egypt with 1 mbps and 1600 ping with the shitiest isps in history, even vodafone is extremely bad

Mobile has always been bad (though LTE is slowly changing that). It wasn't built for data use, and tends to be massively overloaded.

If you care about speed, get fixed line broadband. If everyone used mobile, you'd see far far worse performance.

Multimzain1

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014

i didnt anything about mobile data XD , I am using a fixed line broadband yet its still 1600 ping and if i am lucky its only 600-700

Your ISP probably uses a bad routing algorithm. Like if you want to connect to Singapore it will route the data to Europe->US->Japan->Singapore when it should be directly connecting to Singapore. That's the reason for high ping.