Word keeps trying to install all the time!!!

I just bought an HP laptop from a friend that has XP Home. No problems
logging into Windows but when I click on anything at the desktop Windows
Installer pops up and it keeps trying to open Word. Then it will say to
insert the Word disk (I don't have the disk). I have tried to remove the Word
program from Add/Remove Programs and everytime it tries to remove it the
computer completely locks up. Have to turn power off to restart it. Please
help this is sooo frustrating.

How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555175&Product=winxp

Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
Item No. 94 (Windows Installer Fix).

[Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"chulorommell" <chulorommell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought an HP laptop from a friend that has XP Home. No problems
> logging into Windows but when I click on anything at the desktop Windows
> Installer pops up and it keeps trying to open Word.

This seems to be due to some virus on the system,.

Then it will say to
> insert the Word disk (I don't have the disk). I have tried to remove the
> Word
> program from Add/Remove Programs and everytime it tries to remove it the
> computer completely locks up. Have to turn power off to restart it. Please
> help this is sooo frustrating.

I suggest you scan your system using an updated antivirus software.

----
Abhilash Tibrewal