Defrag and Cleanmgr

March 30, 2005 8:01:01 PM

My Defragmenter and Cleanmgr options do not show in START, ACCESSORIES,
SYSTEM TOOLS. They are just not listed there. I can get to them if I go to
Computer Management, however I should be able to access them through the
Start, Programs process.I have XP, SP2. Anyone have any suggestions how to
get these programs back on the System Tools list?

More about : defrag cleanmgr

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 8:21:02 PM

Did they just disapear on installing SP2,or have they just left tools on
thier own.
Either way,maybe the user account is corupted.To reinstall the programs,try
R.clicking on TOOLS icon,select open.Then R.click on ant open space,point
to new,shortcut,in the location field type:C:WINDOWS\system32\defrag.exe
For cleanmgr substitute defrag for cleanmgr.exe

"edith" wrote:

> My Defragmenter and Cleanmgr options do not show in START, ACCESSORIES,
> SYSTEM TOOLS. They are just not listed there. I can get to them if I go to
> Computer Management, however I should be able to access them through the
> Start, Programs process.I have XP, SP2. Anyone have any suggestions how to
> get these programs back on the System Tools list?

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:47:03 PM

No, this not disappear on installing SP2. They just left on their own. I did
what you sughgested and all I got was a black window popped up and
immediately flashed off before I could see what it was. Any other
suggestions? Thanks.

"Andrew E." wrote:

> Did they just disapear on installing SP2,or have they just left tools on
> thier own.
> Either way,maybe the user account is corupted.To reinstall the programs,try
> R.clicking on TOOLS icon,select open.Then R.click on ant open space,point
> to new,shortcut,in the location field type:C:WINDOWS\system32\defrag.exe
> For cleanmgr substitute defrag for cleanmgr.exe
>
> "edith" wrote:
>
> > My Defragmenter and Cleanmgr options do not show in START, ACCESSORIES,
> > SYSTEM TOOLS. They are just not listed there. I can get to them if I go to
> > Computer Management, however I should be able to access them through the
> > Start, Programs process.I have XP, SP2. Anyone have any suggestions how to
> > get these programs back on the System Tools list?

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 3:08:45 AM

Hi Edith,

1. Right-click on the Desktop and select: New>Shortcut

2. As you’re using SP 2, the Shortcut Wizard will appear:
For the location of the item for example Disk Defragmenter type:
%SystemRoot%\System32\dfrg.msc

3. Again Right-click on the Desktop and select: New>Shortcut
For the location of the item for example Disk Cleanup:
%SystemRoot%\System32\cleanmgr.exe

4. To place the shortcuts that you’ve created on the desktop to the folder of your
choice:-

Right click Start button
Select Explore and/or Explore All Users.
Then open the Programs folder.
Navigate to the Folder you want the shortcuts in and drag them from the desktop to
the folder you have selected.

Hope that all makes sense.

!