folder with 2 files takes 30 secs to open

I have a folder with 2 .php files in it. When I try to open it, it takes
about 2-30 secs to open it. My computer is locked until it opens. Actually it
happens to all of my folders with php files in them. No other file type or
folder is effected.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

-Derrick
4 answers Last reply
More about folder files takes secs open

    try associating the file with notepad instead
    "DerrickE" <DerrickE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    I have a folder with 2 .php files in it. When I try to open it, it takes
    about 2-30 secs to open it. My computer is locked until it opens. Actually
    it
    happens to all of my folders with php files in them. No other file type or
    folder is effected.

    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance

    -Derrick

    They are assossiated with Notepad.

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:24:04 +0100, "John" <johnnyb_cool@hotmail.com>

    >try associating the file with notepad instead

    >"DerrickE" <DerrickE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >I have a folder with 2 .php files in it. When I try to open it, it takes
    >about 2-30 secs to open it. My computer is locked until it opens. Actually
    >it happens to all of my folders with php files in them. No other file type or
    >folder is effected.

    Welcome to the tedious world of "persistent handlers".

    A "persistent handler" is code integrated into Windows Explorer that
    fiddles with files of the type(s) that it handles, whenever these are
    listed. Yes, you just want to list them without touching the
    contents, but the handler digs right in there anyway.

    There are three things wrong with this approach...

    1) Exceeds risk boundary

    Software should not go beyond the risk level the user initiates. Say
    the user wants to find a known malware file to delete it, with NO
    intention of running it. Here, the code goes ahead and handles the
    contents of the file - which increases the exploitable risk surface
    exposed to the content of that file. Do I have to spell that out?

    2) Slows things down

    For example, create a directory, and in that empty directory, create a
    few .ZIP files packed with other files. See how long that directory
    takes to display - because the persistent handler for .ZIP files is
    busy picking through them to count the number of files inside.

    3) Breaks on damaged files

    Persistent handlers for media file types will search from one end of
    the file to the other, if the metadata they seek is not where it's
    expected to be (e.g. in a corrupted media file). That's really
    tedious when you are dealing with 700M DivX movies, etc.

    So, hunt down and beat to death whatever persistent handler is
    grabbing .PHP files and "adding value" to listings thereof.

    Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com
    >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

    Thank you... Although you didn't tell me where to look, you give me a
    starting point. I did some research and found they are stored in the registry
    and what keys to look for.

    I ended up going to regedit and looking through HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT till I
    found the PHP extension and then deleting the value set for it. It seems I
    installed a program to view php files without putting them on a server. I
    didn't like it, so I uninstalled it, but it didn't remove it's values from
    the registry.

    My folders now load much faster. Hope this helps any1 else

PHP Microsoft Windows XP