Virtual Memory limit

I have two computers, both with 2GB of memory. One a Laptop and the other a
Desktop. For both the Virtual Memory is currently allocated at approx. 2046
MB even though the recommended amount is listed as 3070. If I set the
intial value at 3070 MB in the custom dialog box and set the max value at
either 3070 or 4096 or less the allocated value remains set at 2046 MB. Is
this correct? Is there a max limit of 4096 MB for the sum of the installed
memory and virtual? I thought it was 4096 for each.

I'm using Autocad to render a building and it is crashing often due to lack
of memory. Even though the the Desktop system will take another 2GB of
memory, it seems I would not improve things by adding more memory if the
virtual memory will go to 0 at that point. Is that correct?
5 answers Last reply
More about virtual memory limit

    Ron

    This Article seems to describe your problem:
    http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AutoCad

    Otherwise your problem seems to be common see here:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=memory%20%22Autocad%22&hl=en&lr=lang_en&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=2003&as_maxd=31&as_maxm=3&as_maxy=2005&sa=N&tab=wg

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Ron Dean" <deanr@cdsintl.com> wrote in message
    >I have two computers, both with 2GB of memory. One a Laptop and the
    >other a Desktop. For both the Virtual Memory is currently allocated at
    >approx. 2046 MB even though the recommended amount is listed as 3070.
    >If I set the intial value at 3070 MB in the custom dialog box and set
    >the max value at either 3070 or 4096 or less the allocated value
    >remains set at 2046 MB. Is this correct? Is there a max limit of 4096
    >MB for the sum of the installed memory and virtual? I thought it was
    >4096 for each.
    >
    > I'm using Autocad to render a building and it is crashing often due to
    > lack of memory. Even though the the Desktop system will take another
    > 2GB of memory, it seems I would not improve things by adding more
    > memory if the virtual memory will go to 0 at that point. Is that
    > correct?

    Thanks, but these don't address my question.
    My question is not really a Autocad problem. I'm asking if it correct that
    if you have 2GB RAM memory installed in a Windows XP system that the virtual
    memory will be 2046 MB no matter how you try to set a custom allocation
    (intial value & max vlaue) for virtual memory. I can set virtual memory to
    be determined by the system or try to adjust the custom settings to a higher
    figure but in both cases the allocated memory remains at 2046 MB. Is this
    normal? If it is correct why does the dialog box suggest a intial value of
    3070 MB if that is a number that can not be reached?

    Ron

    "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
    > Ron
    >
    > This Article seems to describe your problem:
    > http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AutoCad
    >
    > Otherwise your problem seems to be common see here:
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=memory%20%22Autocad%22&hl=en&lr=lang_en&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=2003&as_maxd=31&as_maxm=3&as_maxy=2005&sa=N&tab=wg
    >
    > --
    >

    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Gerry
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > FCA
    >
    > Using invalid email address
    >
    > Stourport, Worcs, England
    > Enquire, plan and execute.
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > Please tell the newsgroup how any
    > suggested solution worked for you.
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >
    > "Ron Dean" <deanr@cdsintl.com> wrote in message
    >>I have two computers, both with 2GB of memory. One a Laptop and the other
    >>a Desktop. For both the Virtual Memory is currently allocated at approx.
    >>2046 MB even though the recommended amount is listed as 3070. If I set
    >>the intial value at 3070 MB in the custom dialog box and set the max value
    >>at either 3070 or 4096 or less the allocated value remains set at 2046 MB.
    >>Is this correct? Is there a max limit of 4096 MB for the sum of the
    >>installed memory and virtual? I thought it was 4096 for each.
    >>
    >> I'm using Autocad to render a building and it is crashing often due to
    >> lack of memory. Even though the the Desktop system will take another 2GB
    >> of memory, it seems I would not improve things by adding more memory if
    >> the virtual memory will go to 0 at that point. Is that correct?

    No it's wrong. The suggested value is 1.5 times RAM. But there is nothing magical about 1.5. MS had to choose something as a default.

    There are lots of different virtual memory for an application. They can create their own swap files and other tricks. 4GB is the address space for a process. Most PCs have a theoretical maximun of 4GB (with most a lot less due to the motherboard and some specially designed PCs upto 64GB).

    You can have a page file of a maximun of 4 GB (4096K). You can have a maximun of 16 pagefiles (but you need 16 partitions).

    Are you running out of diskspace. Can you set it to 0, then try 4096. You are rebooting after making changes aren't you?

    "Ron Dean" <deanr@cdsintl.com> wrote in message news:eadYILmNFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Thanks, but these don't address my question.
    > My question is not really a Autocad problem. I'm asking if it correct that
    > if you have 2GB RAM memory installed in a Windows XP system that the virtual
    > memory will be 2046 MB no matter how you try to set a custom allocation
    > (intial value & max vlaue) for virtual memory. I can set virtual memory to
    > be determined by the system or try to adjust the custom settings to a higher
    > figure but in both cases the allocated memory remains at 2046 MB. Is this
    > normal? If it is correct why does the dialog box suggest a intial value of
    > 3070 MB if that is a number that can not be reached?
    >
    > Ron
    >

    > "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
    >> Ron
    >>
    >> This Article seems to describe your problem:
    >> http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AutoCad
    >>
    >> Otherwise your problem seems to be common see here:
    >> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=memory%20%22Autocad%22&hl=en&lr=lang_en&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=2003&as_maxd=31&as_maxm=3&as_maxy=2005&sa=N&tab=wg
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    >> Hope this helps.
    >>
    >> Gerry
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >> FCA
    >>
    >> Using invalid email address
    >>
    >> Stourport, Worcs, England
    >> Enquire, plan and execute.
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >> Please tell the newsgroup how any
    >> suggested solution worked for you.
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>
    >> "Ron Dean" <deanr@cdsintl.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have two computers, both with 2GB of memory. One a Laptop and the other
    >>>a Desktop. For both the Virtual Memory is currently allocated at approx.
    >>>2046 MB even though the recommended amount is listed as 3070. If I set
    >>>the intial value at 3070 MB in the custom dialog box and set the max value
    >>>at either 3070 or 4096 or less the allocated value remains set at 2046 MB.
    >>>Is this correct? Is there a max limit of 4096 MB for the sum of the
    >>>installed memory and virtual? I thought it was 4096 for each.
    >>>
    >>> I'm using Autocad to render a building and it is crashing often due to
    >>> lack of memory. Even though the the Desktop system will take another 2GB
    >>> of memory, it seems I would not improve things by adding more memory if
    >>> the virtual memory will go to 0 at that point. Is that correct?

    I find it odd that the two systems that I have with 2GB of installed ram
    both have this problem. If I remove one 1GB ram chip from the laptop, I can
    set the Virtual Memory up to 4096. But if I reinstall the other 1GB chip and
    don't change the virtual memory, it returns to 2046. If this is not normal,
    how do I fix this?

    Ron

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> [...]

    >>>I have two computers, both with 2GB of memory. One a Laptop and the other
    >>>a Desktop. For both the Virtual Memory is currently allocated at approx.
    >>>2046 MB even though the recommended amount is listed as 3070. If I set
    >>>the intial value at 3070 MB in the custom dialog box and set the max
    >>>value
    >>>at either 3070 or 4096 or less the allocated value remains set at 2046
    >>>MB.
    >>>Is this correct? Is there a max limit of 4096 MB for the sum of the
    >>>installed memory and virtual? I thought it was 4096 for each.
    >>>
    >>> I'm using Autocad to render a building and it is crashing often due to
    >>> lack of memory. Even though the the Desktop system will take another 2GB
    >>> of memory, it seems I would not improve things by adding more memory if
    >>> the virtual memory will go to 0 at that point. Is that correct?

    you're probably using the systems in the same way, so whatever "mistakes"
    you're making on one, you're doing it on the other too.

    but, I think that one of the reasons that you're getting smaller swap files
    is because it's a good thing... if
    your system has enough ram so that it seldom (if ever) has to use the swap
    file, that's a good thing,
    not a bad thing. using disk space as ram slows down your system...

    also, one of the things that could be happening is about disk space...
    for example, windows won't create a bigger swap file if it can't get the
    required
    amount of contiguous non-fragmented disk space. it WILL grow one into a
    fragmented area, but it won't create a new one.

    so, if you've not defragged lately and/or there's not enough disk space,
    then it's not going to happen... no matter what you do.

    by the way, I prefer www.raxco.com - get perfectdisk7.0 - you can use the
    trial version.

    then do an offline defrag... followed by the quick defrag.. followed by the
    defrag program built into windows.

    that should give you the cleanest system you can get. but... before you do
    it, if you don't HAVE 4 gigs
    of disk space, you're never going to get a 4 gig swap file. sounds obvious,
    but you'd be surprised
    how many people would make that mistake.

    if it were me, I'd also try the "system controlled size" and also running it
    without a swap file... see if either
    change your performance.

    I'd also be very certain that when you change your ram that the bios picks
    up the change.
    had a system last week were the guy was doing exactly what you were doing...
    except that he wasn't seating
    his ram properly. so, when the system went to use the second gigabyte, it
    crashed the machine because
    the memory had a loose electrical connection... it was only sorta in. but
    the bios had figured it out and was
    only reporting the presence of the first gig.

    -JB

> [...]

    >>>I have two computers, both with 2GB of memory. One a Laptop and the other
    >>>a Desktop. For both the Virtual Memory is currently allocated at approx.
    >>>2046 MB even though the recommended amount is listed as 3070. If I set
    >>>the intial value at 3070 MB in the custom dialog box and set the max
    >>>value
    >>>at either 3070 or 4096 or less the allocated value remains set at 2046
    >>>MB.
    >>>Is this correct? Is there a max limit of 4096 MB for the sum of the
    >>>installed memory and virtual? I thought it was 4096 for each.
    >>>
    >>> I'm using Autocad to render a building and it is crashing often due to
    >>> lack of memory. Even though the the Desktop system will take another 2GB
    >>> of memory, it seems I would not improve things by adding more memory if
    >>> the virtual memory will go to 0 at that point. Is that correct?

Virtual Memory Memory Windows XP