Battlefield 3 Low FPS with an HD 6950

Hello all, first time posting here.

I am having the strangest issue with BF3 right now. A few days ago I got a brand new Gigabyte HD 6950 1GB for x-mas and was really hyped to play BF3 on high with 60 FPS for once.

Unfortunately that didn't happen, I got in after installing the latest ATI drivers and I was only managing to pull about 30-45 FPS on the maps..which was weird because I was only playing on High with HBAO enabled and no AA whatsoever. I turned off HBAO but that only gave me about 5-8 FPS which really didn't warrant losing the picture quality.

Ever since then I have been looking all over the internet for solutions. I've tried things ranging from installing an older ATI Driver to installing the New 12.1 preview drivers. (using driver sweeper in the process of course). I've checked my graphics options in-game and nothing else that could hurt my FPS was enabled..I also checked CCC, same thing.

My system specs are:

Processor: AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor 2.5GHz
RAM: 4GB
Video Card: Gigabyte HD 6950 1GB

Would really appreciate any help or advice!

Thank you.
6 answers Last reply
More about battlefield 6950
  1. go to the amd website and get the latetst performance beta drivers they have the fixes that the latest 11.12 left out to get whql certified.
    get em here.
    http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst121Previewdriver.aspx

if that doesnt work get hardware monitor or speccy and run a system check to see temps and performance.

i have used these myself for the last week and they have yet to show any stability issues.
  2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking the 9850 is bottlenecking that HD 6950.
  3. Gman450 said:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking the 9850 is bottlenecking that HD 6950.

Yeah it's definitely starting to seem that way, quite a few people have told me the same. I guess I'll be replacing it next month.

HEXIT: I actually already tried those drivers, and I found my performance had decreased with them. I'm currently using the 11.12 Beta Drivers and I get a decent FPS now. Still wish it was better, oh well.

Thanks for the replies.
  4. the only other thing i can suggest is turn the settings rite down (except rez) then test fpu turn the setttings up to full and test again. if the results are pretty much the same (within 2-3 fps) then you have a cpu bottleneck, all you can do with that is try and oc it.
  5. HEXiT said:
    the only other thing i can suggest is turn the settings rite down (except rez) then test fpu turn the setttings up to full and test again. if the results are pretty much the same (within 2-3 fps) then you have a cpu bottleneck, all you can do with that is try and oc it.

It's definitely a bottleneck, even on absolute low settings I was getting 40 FPS. Well, try excuse my noob-ness but the last time I tried to overclock I accidentally fried my power supply (pushed the graphics card's power way too high, also had a small OC on my CPU). So you can imagine I'm kind of intimidated by OC'ing. Would bumping my 9850 from 2.5 GHz to 2.8 be safe?
  6. Your 9850 is a standard, and not a BE version right?
    Overclocking is limited in that case. You may want to google or start a new thread down at the 'Overclocking' section. People over there, can help you out. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Battlefield Video Games