Can't Defragment Completely

Hello,

I am using WinXP Pro on a Dell Latitude P4 laptop with an 18GB hard disk
that has 3.5GB (18%) free space. I ran the built in disk cleanup utility and
told it to compress files because I needed the space. When I run the built
in defragmenter the display looks extemely fragmented, with red bars
everywhere. When I tell it to analyze it tells me that the disk does need
defragmenting. The first couple times I defragmented it, it did improve
slightly. Now however, the dragmenter runs quickly and there is no
improvement. The log shows that many files did not get defragmented. Can
someone shed some light on this for me please?

In the general case:

1. Are there any disk utilities that will move all files to the beginning of
the disk in addition to defragging? Sometimes the built in version does this
but sometimes it merely defragments and leaves unused space between the used
groups of files.

2. Are there any disk utilities that will move all the "unmovable" (green)
files together?

I've tried "Diskeeper" but it does no better with all these issues than the
built in utility.

Thanks,
Ray Mitchell
3 answers Last reply
More about defragment completely

    "Ray Mitchell" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am using WinXP Pro on a Dell Latitude P4 laptop with an 18GB hard disk
    > that has 3.5GB (18%) free space. I ran the built in disk cleanup utility and
    > told it to compress files because I needed the space. When I run the built
    > in defragmenter the display looks extemely fragmented, with red bars
    > everywhere. When I tell it to analyze it tells me that the disk does need
    > defragmenting. The first couple times I defragmented it, it did improve
    > slightly. Now however, the dragmenter runs quickly and there is no
    > improvement. The log shows that many files did not get defragmented. Can
    > someone shed some light on this for me please?
    >
    > In the general case:
    >
    > 1. Are there any disk utilities that will move all files to the beginning of
    > the disk in addition to defragging? Sometimes the built in version does this
    > but sometimes it merely defragments and leaves unused space between the used
    > groups of files.
    >
    > 2. Are there any disk utilities that will move all the "unmovable" (green)
    > files together?
    >
    > I've tried "Diskeeper" but it does no better with all these issues than the
    > built in utility.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ray Mitchell

    Try O and O defrag theres 5 different ways to do the defrag so 1 will suit
    your purpose.Hope this helps
    http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodefrag/pro.html

    Ray

    The amount of free space is very important when running Disk
    Defragmenter. A
    minimum of 15% is required but sometimes 20% is desirable if the drive /
    partition
    contains one or more large files. You can run Disk Defragmenter a second
    and third
    time if files are still fragmented after the first run. You can put
    files more prone to
    fragment in their own partitions.

    If you use Outlook Express regularly compacting Outlook Express before
    running
    Disk Defragmenter is helpful.

    Disk Defragmenter provides a "Most fragmented files" list. When a
    fragmented file is
    larger than the largest pocket of free space available then the files is
    not fragmented.
    Running Disk Defragmenter a second or third time does move files around
    and can
    reduce / eliminate the contents of the "Most fragmented files" list. The
    more free
    space on the drive / partition, the more likely it is that all fragments
    will be
    eliminated.

    Free space cannot be defragmented with the Windows XP Disk Defragmenter.
    Neither can your pagefile be defragmented because the file is in use
    whilst
    Disk Defragmenter is running. You can purchase other Defragmenting
    Utilities e.g.
    Perfect Disk, which will defragment your pagefile and free space.
    Another option is to
    place your pagefile in it's own partition. A pagefile partition is best
    located as the first
    partition on a second hard drive. You should leave a small page file at
    the original
    location.
    http://www.raxco.com/

    ~~~~~~

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Ray Mitchell" <RayMitchell_NOSPAM_@MeanOldTeacher.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am using WinXP Pro on a Dell Latitude P4 laptop with an 18GB hard
    > disk
    > that has 3.5GB (18%) free space. I ran the built in disk cleanup
    > utility and
    > told it to compress files because I needed the space. When I run the
    > built
    > in defragmenter the display looks extemely fragmented, with red bars
    > everywhere. When I tell it to analyze it tells me that the disk does
    > need
    > defragmenting. The first couple times I defragmented it, it did
    > improve
    > slightly. Now however, the dragmenter runs quickly and there is no
    > improvement. The log shows that many files did not get defragmented.
    > Can
    > someone shed some light on this for me please?
    >
    > In the general case:
    >
    > 1. Are there any disk utilities that will move all files to the
    > beginning of
    > the disk in addition to defragging? Sometimes the built in version
    > does this
    > but sometimes it merely defragments and leaves unused space between
    > the used
    > groups of files.
    >
    > 2. Are there any disk utilities that will move all the "unmovable"
    > (green)
    > files together?
    >
    > I've tried "Diskeeper" but it does no better with all these issues
    > than the
    > built in utility.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ray Mitchell

    If you can, move to a different drive (or better yet delete) the most
    fragmented files as noted on
    the report that barcabod told you about.

    that should reduce the space requirements & also do some of the work for
    you.

    I prefer perfect disk to O&O or diskkeeper... but only used in this way:

    do an offline defrag first - no matter what it tells you to do.
    then do a quick defrag only
    then do a windows defrag.

    I find that the smart defrag in perfectdisk is not unlike the diskkeeper
    defrag - great things if you do them regularly (ie once a day).
    if you don't, then just get the basics done & use ms to do the rest.

    JB
    "barcabod" <barcabod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    "Ray Mitchell" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am using WinXP Pro on a Dell Latitude P4 laptop with an 18GB hard disk
    > that has 3.5GB (18%) free space. I ran the built in disk cleanup utility
    > and
    > told it to compress files because I needed the space. When I run the
    > built
    > in defragmenter the display looks extemely fragmented, with red bars
    > everywhere. When I tell it to analyze it tells me that the disk does need
    > defragmenting. The first couple times I defragmented it, it did improve
    > slightly. Now however, the dragmenter runs quickly and there is no
    > improvement. The log shows that many files did not get defragmented. Can
    > someone shed some light on this for me please?
    >
    > In the general case:
    >
    > 1. Are there any disk utilities that will move all files to the beginning
    > of
    > the disk in addition to defragging? Sometimes the built in version does
    > this
    > but sometimes it merely defragments and leaves unused space between the
    > used
    > groups of files.
    >
    > 2. Are there any disk utilities that will move all the "unmovable"
    > (green)
    > files together?
    >
    > I've tried "Diskeeper" but it does no better with all these issues than
    > the
    > built in utility.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ray Mitchell

    Try O and O defrag theres 5 different ways to do the defrag so 1 will suit
    your purpose.Hope this helps
    http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodefrag/pro.html

Defragment Windows XP