About Windows XP Backup Utility

I can't use the Windows XP Backup Utility wizard to backup data from my
machine onto a CD-RW disc. It won't allow me to do a full and incremental
backup on to the CD-RW disc. I have succeeded using the XP backup agent
before when backing up data on a Zip disc and tape but it doesn't seem to
work when I try to back up on a blank CD-RW disc. The only way I can back up
data on a CD-RW disc is by using my Sonic Record Now burning software that
came with my integrated DVD/CD-RW drive. However, I'm not satisfied with
this as I should be able to perform useful normal and incremental backups
with the XP backup utility. I just wondering is it possible to use the XP
Backup utility for backing up data on a CD-RW DISC. The help facility in XP
mention something that it may be possible to use the XP Backup feature with a
CD disc. It may be the case that I'm not carrying out the right steps when
tring to backup on a CD-RW DISC. Anyway, I would appreciate any assistance
on this matter.

Thanks

Martin

Martin;
That is by design.
Instead back up to another location on the hard drive then copy to CD.
Or use a 3rd party product:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315255

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Martin Healy" <MartinHealy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't use the Windows XP Backup Utility wizard to backup data from my
> machine onto a CD-RW disc. It won't allow me to do a full and incremental
> backup on to the CD-RW disc. I have succeeded using the XP backup agent
> before when backing up data on a Zip disc and tape but it doesn't seem to
> work when I try to back up on a blank CD-RW disc. The only way I can back
> up
> data on a CD-RW disc is by using my Sonic Record Now burning software that
> came with my integrated DVD/CD-RW drive. However, I'm not satisfied with
> this as I should be able to perform useful normal and incremental backups
> with the XP backup utility. I just wondering is it possible to use the XP
> Backup utility for backing up data on a CD-RW DISC. The help facility in
> XP
> mention something that it may be possible to use the XP Backup feature
> with a
> CD disc. It may be the case that I'm not carrying out the right steps
> when
> tring to backup on a CD-RW DISC. Anyway, I would appreciate any
> assistance
> on this matter.
>
> Thanks
>
> Martin

Thanks for the reply.

Martin

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Martin;
> That is by design.
> Instead back up to another location on the hard drive then copy to CD.
> Or use a 3rd party product:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315255
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Martin Healy" <MartinHealy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I can't use the Windows XP Backup Utility wizard to backup data from my
> > machine onto a CD-RW disc. It won't allow me to do a full and incremental
> > backup on to the CD-RW disc. I have succeeded using the XP backup agent
> > before when backing up data on a Zip disc and tape but it doesn't seem to
> > work when I try to back up on a blank CD-RW disc. The only way I can back
> > up
> > data on a CD-RW disc is by using my Sonic Record Now burning software that
> > came with my integrated DVD/CD-RW drive. However, I'm not satisfied with
> > this as I should be able to perform useful normal and incremental backups
> > with the XP backup utility. I just wondering is it possible to use the XP
> > Backup utility for backing up data on a CD-RW DISC. The help facility in
> > XP
> > mention something that it may be possible to use the XP Backup feature
> > with a
> > CD disc. It may be the case that I'm not carrying out the right steps
> > when
> > tring to backup on a CD-RW DISC. Anyway, I would appreciate any
> > assistance
> > on this matter.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Martin

"Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255

If you're planning to backup to optical media frequently (a good idea) you
may prefer to use third-party software.

Modem Ani

"Modem Ani" wrote:

> "Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255
>
> If you're planning to backup to optical media frequently (a good idea) you
> may prefer to use third-party software.
>
> Modem Ani
>
> "Martin Healy" <MartinHealy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I can't use the Windows XP Backup Utility wizard to backup data from my
> > machine onto a CD-RW disc. It won't allow me to do a full and incremental
> > backup on to the CD-RW disc. I have succeeded using the XP backup agent
> > before when backing up data on a Zip disc and tape but it doesn't seem to
> > work when I try to back up on a blank CD-RW disc. The only way I can back
> up
> > data on a CD-RW disc is by using my Sonic Record Now burning software that
> > came with my integrated DVD/CD-RW drive. However, I'm not satisfied with
> > this as I should be able to perform useful normal and incremental backups
> > with the XP backup utility. I just wondering is it possible to use the XP
> > Backup utility for backing up data on a CD-RW DISC. The help facility in
> XP
> > mention something that it may be possible to use the XP Backup feature
> with a
> > CD disc. It may be the case that I'm not carrying out the right steps
> when
> > tring to backup on a CD-RW DISC. Anyway, I would appreciate any
> assistance
> > on this matter.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Martin

Tim

Ya know its amazing that such absolutely simple concepts can get missed by
Microsoft.....So are you telling me that Windows XP BackUp does not back up
to optical removable media ????? The most widely used media now available
??? The help files say it can backup to ANY removable media and specifically
mention optical media. When you attempt to backup to DVD disks, however,the
utility treats it (the disk) like a hard drive and does not know what to do
when you reach the end of the disk. I assume if your computer has less then
4.7 Gig's of information to backup (the approximate capacity of a DVD disk)
this will work. How can a backup utility not handle multiple disks ???? If
the utility can't handle backing up to DVD's (or CD's), you are left with
backing up to a file on the hard drive or using a tape drive???? One of the
reasons I got rid of my old computer was to get rid of that crummy tape back
up system that I had to use...its incredible slow and unreliable. I did buy
some backup software by Sonic ,"Back Up My PC, Version 6.0", and it works
fine with DVD's and CD's. If Microsoft does not want its backup utility to
handle multiple optical media disks for back ups, why doesn't it just say so.
Ya know like this : " Note: Windows XP Back Up Utilty will not back up to
Removable Optical media including DVD and CD Disks of all kinds". Instead we
customers are wasting time attempting to do so because the help files and
instructions seem to indicate that you CAN ! Amazing...
Tim Lahr

"Modem Ani" wrote:

> "Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255
>
> If you're planning to backup to optical media frequently (a good idea) you
> may prefer to use third-party software.
>
> Modem Ani
>
> "Martin Healy" <MartinHealy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I can't use the Windows XP Backup Utility wizard to backup data from my
> > machine onto a CD-RW disc. It won't allow me to do a full and incremental
> > backup on to the CD-RW disc. I have succeeded using the XP backup agent
> > before when backing up data on a Zip disc and tape but it doesn't seem to
> > work when I try to back up on a blank CD-RW disc. The only way I can back
> up
> > data on a CD-RW disc is by using my Sonic Record Now burning software that
> > came with my integrated DVD/CD-RW drive. However, I'm not satisfied with
> > this as I should be able to perform useful normal and incremental backups
> > with the XP backup utility. I just wondering is it possible to use the XP
> > Backup utility for backing up data on a CD-RW DISC. The help facility in
> XP
> > mention something that it may be possible to use the XP Backup feature
> with a
> > CD disc. It may be the case that I'm not carrying out the right steps
> when
> > tring to backup on a CD-RW DISC. Anyway, I would appreciate any
> assistance
> > on this matter.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Martin

Evidentally, you need to read more carefully.

Windows includes many utilities that do not compete - nor are they intended
to compete - with full featured third party software. Think of the firewall,
the photo editor, the video editor, the web filter, etc. Microsoft can't
include every application in the world in Windows. They got into enough
trouble for bundling a web browser and a media player in Windows, and now
you want them to bundle a complete backup utility? Much of what is there is
basic functionality for people who don't know a firewall from a firehouse.
When they're ready for the next step, they buy the software. How about you?

Modem Ani

"Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > up
> > > data on a CD-RW disc is by using my Sonic Record Now burning software
that
> > > came with my integrated DVD/CD-RW drive. However, I'm not satisfied
with
> > > this as I should be able to perform useful normal and incremental
backups
> > > with the XP backup utility. I just wondering is it possible to use
the XP
> > > Backup utility for backing up data on a CD-RW DISC. The help facility
in
> > XP
> > > mention something that it may be possible to use the XP Backup feature
> > with a
> > > CD disc. It may be the case that I'm not carrying out the right steps
> > when
> > > tring to backup on a CD-RW DISC. Anyway, I would appreciate any

You may want to look at http://www.firestreamer.com/fsdvd/, however, it
supports DVD only. Anyway, CDs with their low capacity is a hassle if
used for backups.