DFRG BootOptimizeFunction Error

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi,

Hope this is posted in a relevant location.

I recently found a reference to the Boot Defragmentation process (that I had
no idea existed) but looked at my registry entry to check was turned on as
boot up was becoming a little slow. I found that I had it turned on:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimiseFunction\Enable = Y

However I also noticed that OptimizeComplete was set to "No" and
OptimizeError was set to "Insufficient free space".
I am assuming this means that the optimize process failed ( and has probably
been doing so for a while).
I cannot find anything useful on this subject on the web or at ms.com. I
have run a normal defrag recently and have 9.7 Gig of free space on the boot
drive so it cant be a straight forward space problem, and the logs show no
obvious errors at boot time

Can anybody enlighten me as to how I can trace and fix what is wrong here?

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 02:55:02 -0800, "Chris"
<Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Hope this is posted in a relevant location.
>
>I recently found a reference to the Boot Defragmentation process (that I had
>no idea existed) but looked at my registry entry to check was turned on as
>boot up was becoming a little slow. I found that I had it turned on:
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimiseFunction\Enable = Y
>
>However I also noticed that OptimizeComplete was set to "No" and
>OptimizeError was set to "Insufficient free space".
>I am assuming this means that the optimize process failed ( and has probably
>been doing so for a while).
>I cannot find anything useful on this subject on the web or at ms.com. I
>have run a normal defrag recently and have 9.7 Gig of free space on the boot
>drive so it cant be a straight forward space problem, and the logs show no
>obvious errors at boot time
>
>Can anybody enlighten me as to how I can trace and fix what is wrong here?
I believe that the process checks all the files indicated in
layout.ini. The required disk space is calculated, and the harddrive
is checked for a contiguous area that's at least this big.
If it can't find that space, this is the error you get.
I would run a defrag first, then issue the command
rundll32 advapi32 ProcessIdleTasks
from the RUN box, this will invoke the boot defrag
process.
You may need to give it 20 minutes to complete,
then check the registry again.

Dave

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Dave,

I ran rundll32 advapi32 ProcessIdleTasks from my Admin account and it worked
just great.

Thanks

However EVERY solution generates another question !!

Now I begin to understand what may be generating the 2 Security "Audit
failures" I get every boot. I get a "680 Account Logon" followed by a "529
Logon/Logoff" every boot and I think it is this defrag process that is
causing them. I assume I must have done something excessivley clever in my
group policy ( stand alone system) that is causing this process to be run
under a wrong account or something like that.

Have you any idea how I identify exactly what is causing these security
audit failures and which bit of POLICY effect this process so I can try and
change the relevant settings?

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 06:37:06 -0700, "Chris"
<Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Dave,
>
>I ran rundll32 advapi32 ProcessIdleTasks from my Admin account and it worked
>just great.
>
>Thanks
>
>However EVERY solution generates another question !!
>
>Now I begin to understand what may be generating the 2 Security "Audit
>failures" I get every boot. I get a "680 Account Logon" followed by a "529
>Logon/Logoff" every boot and I think it is this defrag process that is
>causing them. I assume I must have done something excessivley clever in my
>group policy ( stand alone system) that is causing this process to be run
>under a wrong account or something like that.
>
>Have you any idea how I identify exactly what is causing these security
>audit failures and which bit of POLICY effect this process so I can try and
>change the relevant settings?

Not sure, but you could try Help and Support/
tools/advanced info/view group policy settings applied

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi Dave,

I already did that and nothing jumped out at me. However how about this,
ever since I ran the dfrg manually it appears to be running successfully on
each boot. I assume that it is running OK as the error messages in the event
log have stopped. Of course it could be that the service is not runing at
all. A date n time in the BootOptimizeFunction registry entry would be handy.
I will just have to try and catch it running in task manager to check it is
actually running.

Thanks for the assistance