Coming back to EQ - which server?

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 30, 2004 1:32:37 AM

Well, between WoW and EQ2 and EQ1 subscription costs, I was gonna get
the rolling pin from the wife, so I had to choose. I decided to go with
the All Access plan with SoE so I could play both EQ2 and EQ1 for
$22/mo.

Trouble is, I'm wanting to get back to EQ1, but my main wasn't doing it
for me anymore, and that character is on Firiona Vie. Therefore, no alts
possible there.

No problem, I thought. I'll just fall back on my secondary server where
all my original "mains" are. Well, I've popped into Saryrn a few times
now and the place is a ghost town. I don't see much happening for me
there, sadly.

That leaves the option of rolling something up on one of the newer
servers, maybe, in hopes of more variety in the level of the majority of
the players. The servers I'm considering are:

Stromm
Morden Rasp
Maelin Starpyre
Tholuxe Paells

Those are just some of the newer servers I could think of. I don't know
much about them beyond that. Could anyone here recommend one over the
others or maybe even some other server for a seasoned player to start
over on?

Also, what can anyone tell me about those I've listed?

Tia.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

More about : coming back server

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 30, 2004 2:38:09 AM

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:32:37 GMT, Rumbledor wrote:

> That leaves the option of rolling something up on one of the newer
> servers, maybe, in hopes of more variety in the level of the majority of
> the players.

Well your PC appears to be configured to GMT, so a Euro server would be
the obvious choice. Or is your PC just misconfigured?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 30, 2004 6:18:32 AM

Gary Beldon <g.beldon@virgin.net> wrote in

> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:32:37 GMT, Rumbledor wrote:
>
>> That leaves the option of rolling something up on one of the newer
>> servers, maybe, in hopes of more variety in the level of the majority
>> of the players.
>
> Well your PC appears to be configured to GMT, so a Euro server would
> be the obvious choice. Or is your PC just misconfigured?

I'm GMT-5, actually (EST), so a Euro server wouldn't be a good idea for me.
Are any of Morden Rasp, Stromm, Tholuxe Paells and Maelin Starpyre European
servers?

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

Rumbledor <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote in

> Gary Beldon <g.beldon@virgin.net> wrote in
>
>> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:32:37 GMT, Rumbledor wrote:
>>
>>> That leaves the option of rolling something up on one of the newer
>>> servers, maybe, in hopes of more variety in the level of the
>>> majority of the players.
>>
>> Well your PC appears to be configured to GMT, so a Euro server would
>> be the obvious choice. Or is your PC just misconfigured?
>
> I'm GMT-5, actually (EST), so a Euro server wouldn't be a good idea
> for me. Are any of Morden Rasp, Stromm, Tholuxe Paells and Maelin
> Starpyre European servers?

Stromm is not a Euro server, it was the newbie server some time back, and
from what others have posted here might be a decent choice for you.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 19 Dwarven Shaman, 17 Scholar
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 31, 2004 2:37:41 AM

"Rumbledor" <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote in message
> Well, between WoW and EQ2 and EQ1 subscription costs, I was gonna get
> the rolling pin from the wife, so I had to choose. I decided to go with
> the All Access plan with SoE so I could play both EQ2 and EQ1 for
> $22/mo.
>
> Trouble is, I'm wanting to get back to EQ1, but my main wasn't doing it
> for me anymore, and that character is on Firiona Vie. Therefore, no alts
> possible there.
>
> No problem, I thought. I'll just fall back on my secondary server where
> all my original "mains" are. Well, I've popped into Saryrn a few times
> now and the place is a ghost town. I don't see much happening for me
> there, sadly.
>
> That leaves the option of rolling something up on one of the newer
> servers, maybe, in hopes of more variety in the level of the majority of
> the players. The servers I'm considering are:
>
> Stromm
> Morden Rasp
> Maelin Starpyre
> Tholuxe Paells
>
> Those are just some of the newer servers I could think of. I don't know
> much about them beyond that. Could anyone here recommend one over the
> others or maybe even some other server for a seasoned player to start
> over on?
>
> Also, what can anyone tell me about those I've listed?
>
> Tia.
>
> --
> Rumble
> "Write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."
> -- Benjamin Franklin

Stromm seems to be nicely populated and humming along. I've been there for
a year and a half and it's been pretty active and I'm quite happy there.

Lou
Heckyoubus - Level 51 Enchanter
Stromm
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 31, 2004 3:34:17 AM

Last time I played EQ, early 2004, I rolled up a new char on Stromm,
got him to lvl 46 Necromancer i think now, Kret but not active.
January 11, 2005 9:57:40 AM

Rumbledor wrote:
> Well, between WoW and EQ2 and EQ1 subscription costs, I was gonna get
> the rolling pin from the wife, so I had to choose. I decided to go with
> the All Access plan with SoE so I could play both EQ2 and EQ1 for
> $22/mo.
>
> Trouble is, I'm wanting to get back to EQ1, but my main wasn't doing it
> for me anymore, and that character is on Firiona Vie. Therefore, no alts
> possible there.
>
> No problem, I thought. I'll just fall back on my secondary server where
> all my original "mains" are. Well, I've popped into Saryrn a few times
> now and the place is a ghost town. I don't see much happening for me
> there, sadly.
>
> That leaves the option of rolling something up on one of the newer
> servers, maybe, in hopes of more variety in the level of the majority of
> the players. The servers I'm considering are:
>
> Stromm
> Morden Rasp
> Maelin Starpyre
> Tholuxe Paells
>
> Those are just some of the newer servers I could think of. I don't know
> much about them beyond that. Could anyone here recommend one over the
> others or maybe even some other server for a seasoned player to start
> over on?
>
> Also, what can anyone tell me about those I've listed?
>
> Tia.

Stromm is alive and well with lots of toons running around at all levels
of play. It has suffered some attrition to other games and has seen a
fair number of guilds fold as a result but there are still quite a lot
of guilds on the server for players of all levels and styles of play I
think. There are several high end guilds too raiding the end game
content on Stromm so if that's important to you down the road the option
to do Planar Progression, GoD and OOW areas (or Luclin high end for that
matter) will be there for you. I have not been around all the newbie
grounds in the year I have been playing there but I know at least GFay
always seems to have a lot of toons running around where my 65 cleric
was born. I am on the East coast too and other than the wee hours of the
morning weeknights, there are usually quite a lot of people around. Even
then, I find I can always manage to put together a group even at 3 AM if
I take the initiative to lead and recruit one.

Having said all that, I am glad you made this post because even though I
think Stromm is a good place to be I am not happy there for personal
reasons. I was in a guild there called Lore Seekers of Norrath for the
first six months I played. They had a level cap and a variety of other
rules I outgrew and so I decided to move on to another guild where i
could go and see some places I wanted to, such as the Planes. I was at
level 52 when I left them. The other thing that got tiresome with this
guild was the almost constant drama, which is a long story I won't bore
you with here. Suffice it to say, there was always some interpersonal
conflict going on between the guild leader and some member, or between
members, or whatever. This got really old for me and played a part in my
leaving as well. This group of people was primarily "adults" 30's and up
but you'd never know it by the behavior of some of them, the guild
leader in particular.

I will tell you now, if you go to Stromm do not join this particular
guild. There's plenty of good ones you could be in without the drama and
baloney I saw there for my first six months. When I left I wrote a nice
parting post on the guild's boards which encouraged continued friendship
and wished them well, but having seen their past behavior I knew what I
was in for. I was immediately banned from the site, the guild leader
sent me a profane email, and they then proceeded to flame me to death on
their boards in a thread I could no longer see nor reply to.

This was EQ at its worst for me although it has nothing to do with EQ of
course, just these particular individuals who need badly to grow up. You
know one of them even harassed me openly in the bazaar on my trader
calling me a faggot, etc. and this is a grown adult man. Wow.... Honest
to God, I was never anything but nice to these people.

So, I joined another family style guild with many characters in the 60's
and leveled away until I got to 65 so I could group with most of my new
peers. As fate would have it, one of this guild's members was friends
with the Lore Seekers guild leader. One thing has led to another and now
both guilds have begun raiding together along with others in a group of
family guilds on the server called NCG (Norrathian Council of Guilds).
The final straw for me was when my former guild leader who had treated
me so badly began posting on the boards of my new guild. It felt like my
new place had been infected by a cancer.

So at this point I think I would either like to transfer off Stromm
altogether and start anew in a world where these guys are not present or
maybe even leave EQ altogether and just go try WoW, EQ2 or whatever.

I have not logged in to play for over two weeks now. In the months
preceding this I doubt I ever went two whole days without playing except
for the weekends I work.

In my line of work (nursing) I deal with death, dying and suffering
often. When I come to Norrath I just want to have some fun and get away
from it all, like I imagine many of you do too. I think I know better
than many that life is too short to waste a moment putting up with
people who are unkind to you for no good reason.

So, I think Stromm could be great for you but really would recommend you
stay away from that particular guild. As for me, I will be very
interested in replies to this thread as I think a move is in the cards
for me soon if I can find another server that is at least somewhat close
to Stromm in terms of activity levels and diversity of character levels.

I am even thinking of Legends actually. But I'll do a separate post on
that subject in a few minutes. I wrote to SOE about Legends and will
share what I had to say to them about in another post.

--
Get Thunderbird - Reclaim Your Inbox

Get Firefox! - The Browser You Can Trust
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 11, 2005 5:15:14 PM

Michael <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote in

> Rumbledor wrote:
>> Well, between WoW and EQ2 and EQ1 subscription costs, I was gonna get
>> the rolling pin from the wife, so I had to choose. I decided to go
>> with the All Access plan with SoE so I could play both EQ2 and EQ1
>> for $22/mo.
>>
>> Trouble is, I'm wanting to get back to EQ1, but my main wasn't doing
>> it for me anymore, and that character is on Firiona Vie. Therefore,
>> no alts possible there.
>>
>> No problem, I thought. I'll just fall back on my secondary server
>> where all my original "mains" are. Well, I've popped into Saryrn a
>> few times now and the place is a ghost town. I don't see much
>> happening for me there, sadly.
>>
>> That leaves the option of rolling something up on one of the newer
>> servers, maybe, in hopes of more variety in the level of the majority
>> of the players. The servers I'm considering are:
>>
>> Stromm
>> Morden Rasp
>> Maelin Starpyre
>> Tholuxe Paells
>>
>> Those are just some of the newer servers I could think of. I don't
>> know much about them beyond that. Could anyone here recommend one
>> over the others or maybe even some other server for a seasoned player
>> to start over on?
>>
>> Also, what can anyone tell me about those I've listed?
>>
>> Tia.
>>

> Stromm is alive and well with lots of toons running around at all
> levels of play. It has suffered some attrition to other games and has
> seen a fair number of guilds fold as a result but there are still
> quite a lot of guilds on the server for players of all levels and
> styles of play I think. There are several high end guilds too raiding
> the end game content on Stromm so if that's important to you down the
> road the option to do Planar Progression, GoD and OOW areas (or Luclin
> high end for that matter) will be there for you. I have not been
> around all the newbie grounds in the year I have been playing there
> but I know at least GFay always seems to have a lot of toons running
> around where my 65 cleric was born. I am on the East coast too and
> other than the wee hours of the morning weeknights, there are usually
> quite a lot of people around. Even then, I find I can always manage to
> put together a group even at 3 AM if I take the initiative to lead and
> recruit one.

< snip >

> So, I think Stromm could be great for you but really would recommend
> you stay away from that particular guild. As for me, I will be very
> interested in replies to this thread as I think a move is in the cards
> for me soon if I can find another server that is at least somewhat
> close to Stromm in terms of activity levels and diversity of character
> levels.
>
> I am even thinking of Legends actually. But I'll do a separate post on
> that subject in a few minutes. I wrote to SOE about Legends and will
> share what I had to say to them about in another post.

Considering your observation that Stromm is an example of a still
thriving server at all levels, why wouldn't you just stay and find
another guild? You did mention that there are many guilds there for all
levels, after all.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin