Tech at VZW store can't update LG VX6100 w/V02 SW

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
January 6, 2005 6:41:27 PM

I went to my local VZW store to have the SW in my LG VX6100 upgraded to
V02 (to fix the volume bug) and the tech said he was not able to get
the phone into "download mode". He reset the phone, removed/reinserted
the battery, but had no luck. Since the phone was under warranty, he
offered to replace the phone once they get more in stock. In the
meantime, I was wondering if any of you have either heard of this or
experienced this yourself and if there is any solution short of
replacing the phone.

Regards,
Chris
January 6, 2005 7:42:42 PM

Actually I had that same problem at two different stores. They said
something was wrong with the "blackbox" and they had to reconfigure it
for some reason. Went back two days later and they were able to
install the software with no problems...I didn't lose any ringtones or
photos that I had on there either....

On 6 Jan 2005 15:41:27 -0800, "Chris" <chris_in_sunnyvale@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I went to my local VZW store to have the SW in my LG VX6100 upgraded to
>V02 (to fix the volume bug) and the tech said he was not able to get
>the phone into "download mode". He reset the phone, removed/reinserted
>the battery, but had no luck. Since the phone was under warranty, he
>offered to replace the phone once they get more in stock. In the
>meantime, I was wondering if any of you have either heard of this or
>experienced this yourself and if there is any solution short of
>replacing the phone.
>
>Regards,
>Chris
January 6, 2005 7:46:57 PM

T wrote:

> On 6 Jan 2005 15:41:27 -0800, "Chris" <chris_in_sunnyvale@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I went to my local VZW store to have the SW in my LG VX6100 upgraded
> >V02 (to fix the volume bug) and the tech said he was not able to get
> >the phone into "download mode". He reset the phone,
removed/reinserted
> >the battery, but had no luck. Since the phone was under warranty,
he
> >offered to replace the phone once they get more in stock. In the
> >meantime, I was wondering if any of you have either heard of this or
> >experienced this yourself and if there is any solution short of
> >replacing the phone.
> >
> Actually I had that same problem at two different stores. They said
> something was wrong with the "blackbox" and they had to reconfigure
it
> for some reason. Went back two days later and they were able to
> install the software with no problems...I didn't lose any ringtones
or
> photos that I had on there either....

Assuming the blackbox is their equipment, I don't think this is the
problem. The tech had just done the download on another VX6100 prior
to mine so their equipment must work.

Regards,
Chris
January 7, 2005 3:31:53 PM

Chris wrote:
> I went to my local VZW store to have the SW in my LG VX6100 upgraded
> V02 (to fix the volume bug) and the tech said he was not able to get
> the phone into "download mode". He reset the phone,
removed/reinserted
> the battery, but had no luck. Since the phone was under warranty, he
> offered to replace the phone once they get more in stock. In the
> meantime, I was wondering if any of you have either heard of this or
> experienced this yourself and if there is any solution short of
> replacing the phone.
>
> Regards,
> Chris

I went to another VZW store to get the update and the tech at that
store was able to do the update fine (i.e. no problems whatsoever
getting my phone into download mode).

I don't know if this affected the ability of the phone getting into
download mode, but before going to the second store, I removed a photo
I was using as wallpaper (and selected the "sport" default image),
killed all voice memos (about 5) that I had stored and turned of
"manners mode" (vibrate). I told this to the tech, but he thinks the
failure is due to tech error at the first store.

If you run into the same problems I did, try another store and maybe
you'll find better customer service.

Regards,
Chris
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 9:57:41 AM

One of the guys at my local Verizon store said that I'd have to take my ass
about 25 miles NW of here in order to get the update. He said their
location was only a "sales location" and that they were unable to do any
updates such as the one I was requesting. I'm a little suspicious though...
it is a dedicated Verizon store in the mall, and it is a substantial little
place... not just some kiosk in the middle of the walkway or something. Oh
well, guess I'll have to remember that next time I head towards Columbus,
eh?

--
The Toe Pages: http://www.rubbertoe.com
Freshly Redesigned! New Low-Tech Appeal!

Robert J Batina wrote:
> One of the guys at my local Verizon store said that I'd have to take
> my ass about 25 miles NW of here in order to get the update. He said
> their location was only a "sales location" and that they were unable
> to do any updates such as the one I was requesting. I'm a little
> suspicious though... it is a dedicated Verizon store in the mall, and
> it is a substantial little place... not just some kiosk in the
> middle of the walkway or something. Oh well, guess I'll have to
> remember that next time I head towards Columbus, eh?

Some company stores have "techs" and some don't. No
techs means no PC with the download app, no cables, etc.

-Quick
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 11:25:16 AM

Robert J Batina said the following on 1/8/2005 10:57 PM:
> One of the guys at my local Verizon store said that I'd have to take my ass
> about 25 miles NW of here in order to get the update. He said their
> location was only a "sales location" and that they were unable to do any
> updates such as the one I was requesting. I'm a little suspicious though...
> it is a dedicated Verizon store in the mall, and it is a substantial little
> place... not just some kiosk in the middle of the walkway or something. Oh
> well, guess I'll have to remember that next time I head towards Columbus,
> eh?

I have to go 90 miles, one way to get it done. Considering calling
Verizon and have them send me two phones with the current f/w and send
the others back.

--

Kirk

"Screw the planes, take a train", Me
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 7:49:17 AM

"Chris" <chris_in_sunnyvale@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I went to my local VZW store to have the SW in my LG VX6100 upgraded to
> V02 (to fix the volume bug) and the tech said he was not able to get
> the phone into "download mode". He reset the phone, removed/reinserted
> the battery, but had no luck. Since the phone was under warranty, he
> offered to replace the phone once they get more in stock. In the
> meantime, I was wondering if any of you have either heard of this or
> experienced this yourself and if there is any solution short of
> replacing the phone.
>
> Regards,
> Chris

No problem getting the V02 SW upgrade at the Jefferson Rd. Verizon store in
Rochester NY.

rwb
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 7:12:38 AM

> meantime, I was wondering if any of you have either heard of this or
> experienced this yourself and if there is any solution short of
> replacing the phone.

I had this problem with an LG4400. There was a bad connector pin on
the phone, so tech couldn't do an upgrade (the pin didn't affect
charging or laptop data, it was unique to programming). In my case,
there was no workaround except for a replacement.

-MVL
!