Repair install of Windows XP SP-2

I recently performed a repair install of my Windows XP Pro SP-2
installation. I used my original Windows XP Pro SP-1 disk, full version.
When complete I then proceeded to reinstall the SP-2 update since it was now
back to SP-1. After two was thirds was completed a message displayed
stating Installation Failed. There were no other messages. It then
returned the system back to SP-1.

I did not remove SP-2 from the add/remove programs prior to attempting the
reinstall of SP-2 if that may matter.

Any ideas?

Ray
2 answers Last reply
More about repair install windows

    In order to perform a "Repair Install" on a computer with
    SP2 installed, you'll have to first uninstall SP2 if the original
    Windows XP does not include SP2. The easy alternative is
    to create a new Windows XP CD with SP2 integrated
    (slipstreamed), then proceed with a "Repair Install".

    AutoStreamer 1.0.33
    http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    http://www.michaelstevenstech.­com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Raymond Nichols" wrote:

    | I recently performed a repair install of my Windows XP Pro SP-2
    | installation. I used my original Windows XP Pro SP-1 disk, full version.
    | When complete I then proceeded to reinstall the SP-2 update since it was now
    | back to SP-1. After two was thirds was completed a message displayed
    | stating Installation Failed. There were no other messages. It then
    | returned the system back to SP-1.
    |
    | I did not remove SP-2 from the add/remove programs prior to attempting the
    | reinstall of SP-2 if that may matter.
    |
    | Any ideas?
    |
    | Ray

    You do not " have" to uninstall SP2 to do a repair install with a SP1 cd
    over an existing SP2 installation.
    When I recently upgraded to a new 64 bit motherboard/processor, I
    immediately booted from my XP Pro SP1 cd, and did a repair install of my XP
    Pro SP2 installation.

    The only issue I had, was on activation - I was immediately locked out of XP
    upon the repair install, and could only boot into safe mode. Had to call the
    activation number to get new numbers to enter, in order to get it activated.

    The repair went well otherwise, and afterwards I installed the SP2 udpate,
    along with all updates since SP2.
    System is running great.

    I had created a slipstreamed SP2 cd a few months ago, but evidently it was
    corrupted as my system did not recognize it as a bootable cd. So I reverted
    to booting from my XP Pro SP1 cd, and proceeded with the repair install.

    It should work fine, just have to be sure and download and install SP2 when
    done. Granted, creating a slip streamed cd would be ideal...

    --
    Don Burnette

    "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
    way of the man that's doing it."

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    > In order to perform a "Repair Install" on a computer with
    > SP2 installed, you'll have to first uninstall SP2 if the original
    > Windows XP does not include SP2. The easy alternative is
    > to create a new Windows XP CD with SP2 integrated
    > (slipstreamed), then proceed with a "Repair Install".
    >
    > AutoStreamer 1.0.33
    > http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2
    >
    > Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
    >
    > How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.­com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >

    >> I recently performed a repair install of my Windows XP Pro SP-2
    >> installation. I used my original Windows XP Pro SP-1 disk, full
    >> version. When complete I then proceeded to reinstall the SP-2 update
    >> since it was now back to SP-1. After two was thirds was completed a
    >> message displayed stating Installation Failed. There were no other
    >> messages. It then returned the system back to SP-1.
    >>
    >> I did not remove SP-2 from the add/remove programs prior to
    >> attempting the reinstall of SP-2 if that may matter.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Ray

Microsoft Windows XP