16 colors at 640x480 or 8 bit at 800x600 and had to disabl..

Had to disable device manager to get Dell Optiplex GX270 to show anything and
I`m limited to the two displays mentioned above. Can`t change display or
colors in settings.
ANY THOUGHts
2 answers Last reply
More about colors 640x480 800x600 disabl

    Details of what this means might help.

    "Had to disable device manager to get Dell Optiplex GX270 to show anything"

    Download and install the latest manufacturer's Windows XP driver for your
    graphics adapter.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "joe" wrote:
    | Had to disable device manager to get Dell Optiplex GX270 to show anything
    and
    | I`m limited to the two displays mentioned above. Can`t change display or
    | colors in settings.
    | ANY THOUGHts

    The resolutions avalable are the lesser of the monitor's capabilities or
    those of the graphics card (or graphics chip on motherboard).

    Any monitor and graphics card/chip made in about the last 10 years is
    capable of much better than you are getting. Thus, it sounds like XP has
    take some safe defaults for video drivers, because it does not have anything
    that it feels are more appropriate.

    There are two possible solutions:

    1. Run windows XP update and ask it to list all avalable updates, not just
    the critical securtity patches. If you see an update for a video driver
    card, monitor, or anything similar), click it and let XP install it. I got
    an update to my nVidia card this way.

    2. Go to the video card website if you installed the video card, else the
    Dell website if the video came with the PC. Look for an updated video
    driver. Get it and insall it.

    In either case a reboot or two will be required.

    Now try to change the screen resolution and hopefully you will have a wide
    range of choices. Also consider changing the refresh rate above 60 Hz, at
    leat 70Hz, maybe higher. That often helps avoid fatigue and headaches.

    "joe" <joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Had to disable device manager to get Dell Optiplex GX270 to show anything
    > and
    > I`m limited to the two displays mentioned above. Can`t change display or
    > colors in settings.
    > ANY THOUGHts

Device Manager Microsoft Windows XP