Sign in with
Your question

Which games did you pick up this Holiday sale (Steam or otherwise)?

Last response: in Video Games
January 1, 2012 7:17:13 AM

Here are the ones I picked up:

Total War: Shogun 2
Warhammer 40K: Space Marine
Civilization V
Rage
Quake 4
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Mafia 2
Xotic
Assasin's Creed
Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Prince of Persia (Remake)
Serious Sam HD
Unreal Tournament Unreal Pack
Tom Clancy's Hawx
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
Company of Heroes
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
L.A Noire

Those are the games I purchased from 12/15/11 - 12/31/11, and all on Steam (I can't resist a sale).

Which games did you purchase over the holidays?
January 1, 2012 9:19:02 AM

I've got GTA IV, Episodes from Liberty City and Wings of Prey and Wings of Luftwaffe so far.
m
l
January 1, 2012 9:26:25 AM

Eldd said:
I've got GTA IV, Episodes from Liberty City and Wings of Prey and Wings of Luftwaffe so far.

Cool.

I have GTA4 as well as Episodes from Liberty City. I haven't played the latter. I am about 3 hours into GTA4. That game is pretty demanding. It is a real CPU heavy beast of a game. I don't get 60fps totally maxed, that's for sure.

I haven't played WoP or WoL yet.
m
l
January 1, 2012 10:03:18 AM

GTA IV is far from being maxxed out on my system, but I am getting into the 40's FPS at 1600*1050, medium to high details. But still, I will play this game, just to get its feel; about WoP, if you're into flying sims, this is a good one, and graphically speaking, it's looking very good.
m
l
January 1, 2012 10:51:50 AM

I decided to keep my wallet in check.....even though I was tempted sorely.

The only game I bought was C&C: Red Alert 3
m
l
January 1, 2012 3:09:55 PM

HL 1
HL 2 (have played these but didn't own them anymore)
HL 2 Ep. 1
HL 2 EP. 2
Crysis 1 (same as above)
LIMBO
Street Fighter IV (same as above)
Metro 2033
Portal 2
Skyrim
Mass Effect 1
MDK
MDK2 (loved these games when I was younger)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (amazon 9.99 sale)

Sidenote: Skyrim is back up on a 33% off sale. Arkham City back up at 50% off. Portal 2 back up at 75% off.
m
l
January 1, 2012 5:21:26 PM

Eldd said:
GTA IV is far from being maxxed out on my system, but I am getting into the 40's FPS at 1600*1050, medium to high details. But still, I will play this game, just to get its feel; about WoP, if you're into flying sims, this is a good one, and graphically speaking, it's looking very good.

Awesome.

I will look into it.

GTA4 on medium at 1600x1050 is still only 10x better than it's console counterpart. I expect you should get the full GTA4 experience.
m
l
January 1, 2012 5:23:15 PM

Stringjam said:
I decided to keep my wallet in check.....even though I was tempted sorely.

The only game I bought was C&C: Red Alert 3

I am not very strong a person - a fool and his money are soon parted, as the book says. Well, farewell to all of my dough... :pfff: 

C&C: Red Alert 3 is an excellent game.
m
l
January 1, 2012 5:25:49 PM

casualcolors said:
HL 1
HL 2 (have played these but didn't own them anymore)
HL 2 Ep. 1
HL 2 EP. 2
Crysis 1 (same as above)
LIMBO
Street Fighter IV (same as above)
Metro 2033
Portal 2
Skyrim
Mass Effect 1
MDK
MDK2 (loved these games when I was younger)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (amazon 9.99 sale)

Sidenote: Skyrim is back up on a 33% off sale. Arkham City back up at 50% off. Portal 2 back up at 75% off.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is far better than I ever thought, or I would have gladly shelled out the $49.99 asking price. I got it for $12.49 on Steam - 75% off.

An amazing game. And I mean, 10 out of 10 amazing. I've only had it for a day, and I'm smitten.
m
l
January 1, 2012 5:30:19 PM

I have to agree. I am impressed with Deus Ex: HR and I think that the writing for the dialogue in the conversations between Adam and the other characters in the DX:HR universe is leaps ahead of even such prestigious games as Mass Effect 1 and 2, and Skyrim.

I'm very pleased with the game, slightly displeased with the DX11 microstuttering issues however. The game itself is great though and the enemy AI on "Give Me Deus Ex" difficulty is pretty challenging. Happy a friend informed me of the 9.99 Amazon price when it came up.
m
l
January 1, 2012 6:24:28 PM

Well, I just caved and bought Deus Ex: HR thanks to you two.... ;) 

I haven't even finished Mass Effect 2 yet, and it's been my goal to get that game finished up before 3 comes out.
m
l
January 1, 2012 6:59:10 PM

Stringjam said:

I haven't even finished Mass Effect 2 yet, and it's been my goal to get that game finished up before 3 comes out.

Grats, mate! Now that's a darned good game to play, I mean Deus Ex: HR... have fun with it.
m
l
January 1, 2012 7:18:53 PM

I picked up:

Skyrim (blockbuster)
Batman Arkham City (Steam)
Witcher (Steam)
Orcs Must Die! (Steam)
Blur (Steam)
and Payday - The Heist (Steam)

Except from Witcher and Payday, all the above games are as close to epic as it gets atm.
m
l
January 1, 2012 7:36:29 PM

chriscornell said:
I picked up:

Skyrim (blockbuster)
Batman Arkham City (Steam)
Witcher (Steam)
Orcs Must Die! (Steam)
Blur (Steam)
and Payday - The Heist (Steam)

Except from Witcher and Payday, all the above games are as close to epic as it gets atm.

Most games that are new to a person are. I usually say, after a year, if you feel the same way about it - it's epic.

So far, only one game has been as fresh to me after a year that it was the day I first played it. And you won't have to look too hard to see what game I'm talking about (*hint* my avatar).
m
l
January 1, 2012 7:38:37 PM

Stringjam said:

Granted, I haven't spent enough time with Deus Ex: Human Revolution to really make a statement so bold, but what the hell:

Better finish Mass Effect 2 before you try DEHR. That's all I'm going to say.
m
l
January 1, 2012 7:41:21 PM

I really can't come up with one bad thing to say about DEHR. I guess if I tried to look really hard, and I mean REALLY hard, I could say...

It's not the best graphics I've ever seen in a game.

But even that is only half-true.

It is the prettiest non-PC exclusive I've ever seen. (Crysis don't count, as it was PC exclusive in it's true engine).
m
l
January 1, 2012 7:51:22 PM

You can get Deus Ex : HR for something like £6.85 from shopto.net, which you can activate on Steam!
m
l
January 1, 2012 7:56:22 PM

The downside to DX:HR is definitely wide spread bugginess with dx11 related microstutters. The game content however completely makes up for this in my opinion.
m
l
January 1, 2012 8:38:15 PM

casualcolors said:
The downside to DX:HR is definitely wide spread bugginess with dx11 related microstutters. The game content however completely makes up for this in my opinion.

I am using CrossfireX and I still haven't had an issue with this.

Granted, I'm less than 3 hours in...
m
l
January 1, 2012 8:50:21 PM

PCgamer81 said:
I am using CrossfireX and I still haven't had an issue with this.

Granted, I'm less than 3 hours in...

One of the fortunate souls =(. It seems to be largely related to Nvidia cards in this game. It has nothing to do with the game being developed on ATI-based products afaik, just happens to be the case.
m
l
January 1, 2012 9:20:08 PM

Here is what I picked up or was given:

Battlefield Bad Company 2 ($6 from Amazon)
Burnout: Paradise (wife bought me for Christmas from Amazon for $10)
FlatOut 2 ($2.50 from Steam)
Just Cause 2 ($2.50 from Amazon)
Trine 2 ($15 from Steam)
Brink ($5 from Steam)
All 12 of the games in Humble Indie Bundle #4 (For roughly $5.50)

I have a feeling I am missing something, but that is all I can remember right now. :) 
m
l
January 1, 2012 9:35:00 PM

TBirdOnline said:
Here is what I picked up or was given:

Battlefield Bad Company 2 ($6 from Amazon)
Burnout: Paradise (wife bought me for Christmas from Amazon for $10)
FlatOut 2 ($2.50 from Steam)
Just Cause 2 ($2.50 from Amazon)
Trine 2 ($15 from Steam)
Brink ($5 from Steam)
All 12 of the games in Humble Indie Bundle #4 (For roughly $5.50)

I have a feeling I am missing something, but that is all I can remember right now. :) 

Cool. I haven't played any of those games except for BBC2 and Brink.

Brink is an amazing game - had the makings of a TF2 killer.
m
l
January 1, 2012 9:37:42 PM

casualcolors said:
One of the fortunate souls =(. It seems to be largely related to Nvidia cards in this game. It has nothing to do with the game being developed on ATI-based products afaik, just happens to be the case.

Aye, the developer Nixxes has an affinity for eyefinity (poor pun). It is no secret that the lead developer there is an AMD fanboy. Just read about the guy. :lol: 
m
l
January 1, 2012 9:42:31 PM

IMO Bad Company 2 is every bit the game that BF3 is when it comes to competitive multiplayer. Nice purchase there for 6 bucks.
m
l
January 2, 2012 12:25:53 AM

casualcolors said:
IMO Bad Company 2 is every bit the game that BF3 is when it comes to competitive multiplayer. Nice purchase there for 6 bucks.

The thing I like about BBC2 more than BF3 is the destruction. In BBC2, when the match was over, you could tell there had been a war there.
m
l
January 2, 2012 12:30:04 AM

That is mostly because BFBC2 had a lot of re-used building models, so the destruction was more easily added to the game. And I agree with you, Oasis after a big match looks great.

On the flipside though, the thing I like about BF3 is not mowing down 3 noskills and ducking into a building only to get gustaved through a wall by one of the respawns.
m
l
January 2, 2012 12:56:06 AM

casualcolors said:
That is mostly because BFBC2 had a lot of re-used building models, so the destruction was more easily added to the game. And I agree with you, Oasis after a big match looks great.

On the flipside though, the thing I like about BF3 is not mowing down 3 noskills and ducking into a building only to get gustaved through a wall by one of the respawns.

Spawn campers have given me some grief in BF3 - though it probably wasn't their intention - but usually it is my own fault. Instead of being patient and spawning on a teammate, I try to get back in as fast as possible.

The thing that really gets me about BF3 is when we (our team) get locked down in the spawning zone I happen to use. I have been killed more times for doing little more than respawning and pressing forward, that it can get pretty aggravating. BF3 is loaded with a bunch of cheap kill cheesers that wouldn't think twice to gun you down multiple times even if they knew you were at home in the midst of an emergency. Hyenas.
m
l
January 2, 2012 1:13:44 AM

Buncha savages I tell ya.

But 1 tip I will give you, never spawn on teammates. Always choose a spawn location and spawn on it. The game does a better job in most cases of plopping you somewhere remotely safeish than a teammate will do.
m
l
January 2, 2012 1:31:42 AM

Bastion
Bulletstorm
Skydrift
Star Wars the force unleashed
Sonic Generations
Oblivion

The Sonic game was around 11 bucks the rest were all 5 bucks or less.
m
l
January 2, 2012 2:51:20 AM

Portal 2
Alice : Madness returns
Demolition Inc (gift)
Dungeon Siege (gift)
Dungeon Siege 2 (gift)
Dungeon Siege 3 with DLC pack (gift)
Bastion (gift)

Got Portal 2 the first time it was 75% off and then I think Alice was 60 or 75% off (paid £7.49)

Have a deal with a mate where we agree a set price limit and then surprise each other with gaming gifts over the Christmas/Holiday sales period. Usually works out pretty well with us both getting 4 or 5 games each.

Bought him (from his wishlist)

Alice: Madness Returns
Portal 2 (2 pack deal 75% off plus extra reduction for buying two, NICE. Worked out at £4.37 each)
Blur
Back to the future (all episodes)
m
l
January 2, 2012 3:52:10 AM

Quake 4
DE:HR:TML+ all DLC's

Being a Steam veteran, I already own most of the titles! So much so, I was badly tempted to purchased tiles on Steam (of which I already own retail)! But that's the beauty of Steam!
m
l
January 2, 2012 4:04:25 AM

PCgamer81 said:

C&C: Red Alert 3 is an excellent game.

I'm having some fun with it so far. All the cheesy acting / slutty stuff I could do without (but I don't really think they're trying to be remotely serious in these games, so I won't fault them too much), but the gameplay itself is pretty fun. Well worth the $4!
m
l
January 2, 2012 4:50:49 AM

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Standard Edition
Dungeon Defenders Halloween Mission Pack
Section 8: Prejudice
Dungeon Defenders
E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy
Brink
Audiosurf
Half-Life 1
Fable The Lost Chapters

Those are the games I picked up, I'm over 100 Games on Steam Now!!

-Mithness
m
l
January 2, 2012 9:38:07 AM

Mithness said:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Standard Edition
Dungeon Defenders Halloween Mission Pack
Section 8: Prejudice
Dungeon Defenders
E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy
Brink
Audiosurf
Half-Life 1
Fable The Lost Chapters

Those are the games I picked up, I'm over 100 Games on Steam Now!!

-Mithness

I am sitting fat at 80+ (not counting multiplayers and betas). At least a third of those came in the last week.
m
l
January 2, 2012 9:52:02 AM

Here are the games I have on Steam:

m
l
January 2, 2012 11:55:20 AM

Metro 2033 (Gift from Flintironstagg)
Battlefield 3 (Are lass's dad got me it for Christmas)

Games I picked up in the steam Sale:

Portal 2
The Witcher 2
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Rage
Limbo
Quake 4
Mass Effect 2

All amazing games

Games I nearly bought in the sale:

Dead Island
Serious Sam BFE
Half Life Complete
m
l
January 2, 2012 12:11:15 PM

PCgamer81 said:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is far better than I ever thought, or I would have gladly shelled out the $49.99 asking price. I got it for $12.49 on Steam - 75% off.

An amazing game. And I mean, 10 out of 10 amazing. I've only had it for a day, and I'm smitten.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is far better than I was expecting too. I am a huge fan of the original but there was something about Human Revolution that made me a little skeptical. I love the cyberpunk look and feel of the original but I wasnt sure I would like the yellow style in HR, but I have to say, its pretty good and I dont have a single bad word to say about the art style. As for the gameplay I was concerned about the change in combat mechanics but they work very well. As for story and dialogue, it is typical Deus Ex awesomeness, the voice acting and story thus far is fantastic.

PCgamer81 said:
Brink is an amazing game - had the makings of a TF2 killer.

I agree, I think Brink is a very good game, I personally can not understand the hate it gets, It was something new and fresh. Its such a shame online is dead, I had a lot of fun playing it online.

m
l
January 2, 2012 12:15:57 PM

PCgamer81 said:
I really can't come up with one bad thing to say about DEHR. I guess if I tried to look really hard, and I mean REALLY hard, I could say...

It is the prettiest non-PC exclusive I've ever seen. (Crysis don't count, as it was PC exclusive in it's true engine).

Prettiest in the sense of art style, that I can understand. Prettiest in the sense of technical achievement? no way.
m
l
January 3, 2012 12:05:52 AM

PCgamer81 said:

I'm only a few hours into it, but I'm glad I bought it. It's definitely a fun and involving game! The voice acting is good, and the story and characters are interesting enough to keep me connected to the game. I think the dialog flows better and works more smoothly than say Mass Effect 2 (which is kind of what this game reminds me of sometimes).

Graphically, it's kind of disappointing......lighting is kind of lifeless and the surface skinning / textures in the game are pretty blah. In-game character animation is bad....Half-Life2 is better and look how old that game is. Rendered cut-scenes are fine, though. I'm not really one to trip too hard on graphics as long as the game itself and the art direction is good. The environment is interesting enough - - it isn't going to make my list of games with great art direction but it certainly isn't bad.

I hate cover systems.......just my personal opinion, but I don't EVER like breaking from first-person in games that are all about being immersed in the environment. I'll take a well implemented lean any day, and I think this game would be SO much better if they would have used it. I remember watching an interview with the developers and when asked why they didn't, the response was basically that it would have been "too much work." C'mon....this is DEUS EX here, it's worth the effort!! ;)  And is it just me, or is the transition to iron-sight really rough? It's like a really jerky 2-frame animation or something.

Enough about the bad stuff, though. I still really like the game, and at $16 it was an awesome deal. Looking forward to digging into this one!
m
l
January 3, 2012 12:23:09 AM

Stringjam said:
I'm only a few hours into it, but I'm glad I bought it. It's definitely a fun and involving game! The voice acting is good, and the story and characters are interesting enough to keep me connected to the game. I think the dialog flows better and works more smoothly than say Mass Effect 2 (which is kind of what this game reminds me of sometimes).

Graphically, it's kind of disappointing......lighting is kind of lifeless and the surface skinning / textures in the game are pretty blah. In-game character animation is bad....Half-Life2 is better and look how old that game is. Rendered cut-scenes are fine, though. I'm not really one to trip too hard on graphics as long as the game itself and the art direction is good. The environment is interesting enough - - it isn't going to make my list of games with great art direction but it certainly isn't bad.

I hate cover systems.......just my personal opinion, but I don't EVER like breaking from first-person in games that are all about being immersed in the environment. I'll take a well implemented lean any day, and I think this game would be SO much better if they would have used it. I remember watching an interview with the developers and when asked why they didn't, the response was basically that it would have been "too much work." C'mon....this is DEUS EX here, it's worth the effort!! ;)  And is it just me, or is the transition to iron-sight really rough? It's like a really jerky 2-frame animation or something.

Enough about the bad stuff, though. I still really like the game, and at $16 it was an awesome deal. Looking forward to digging into this one!

I disagree. I like the way the cover system works and don't really see the need for a lean - that's just my opinion.

I did end up paying $16 for it @ 66% off. Not $12 @ 75% off. My mistake.
m
l
January 3, 2012 12:24:26 AM

Gothams Finest said:
Prettiest in the sense of art style, that I can understand. Prettiest in the sense of technical achievement? no way.

I don't know...

Maybe it's just me, but I really like the "look" of the game. Maybe that is the art style I am confusing with graphics - whatever it is, I love it.
m
l
January 3, 2012 12:27:28 AM

Just the other day I characterized the original Deus Ex as Half Life meets Splinter Cell.

If I had to characterize DEHR, I would characterize it as F.E.A.R meets Mass Effect meets Splinter Cell...maybe.
m
l
January 3, 2012 12:34:14 AM

Witcher enhanced edition
L4D
L4D2
Monday Night combat
Nimbus
Total War 2: Shogun with all the DLC
Dungeon Defenders

All from the steam sale. Only paid 2$ for DD on amazon ;) 
m
l
January 3, 2012 12:48:07 AM

PCgamer81 said:

If I had to characterize DEHR, I would characterize it as F.E.A.R meets Mass Effect meets Splinter Cell...maybe.

LOL....that's funny, because today while I was playing I kept thinking "F.E.A.R. meets Mass Effect." ;)  I wish it had F.E.A.R.'s character mechanics, though.....having various melee attacks to me is more fun and involving than the current trend of using "takedown" animations.

Maybe it's just the way I've gotten used to playing....we all have our preferred playing styles. I like games that let you stay in control the whole time.

The difference: in DE:HR and Crysis 2, you have to sneak up behind somebody and hit a button, at which point the computer takes over and you get the joy of sitting through an animation as it does it all for you.

In another game, like Crysis, you can sneak up behind somebody and melee them in the back of the head in a split second, and be gone in a flash.

I'm not saying one style is right and the other is wrong.....I just prefer the ability to do things quickly, and do them myself. I like the skill of "manual" stealth.

Other folks like the cover system, takedown style of gameplay.....nothing wrong with preferring one way over the other.

It's still a great game and I'm having fun......that's the main thing. ;) 
m
l
January 3, 2012 1:33:12 AM

Stringjam said:
LOL....that's funny, because today while I was playing I kept thinking "F.E.A.R. meets Mass Effect." ;)  I wish it had F.E.A.R.'s character mechanics, though.....having various melee attacks to me is more fun and involving than the current trend of using "takedown" animations.

Maybe it's just the way I've gotten used to playing....we all have our preferred playing styles. I like games that let you stay in control the whole time.

The difference: in DE:HR and Crysis 2, you have to sneak up behind somebody and hit a button, at which point the computer takes over and you get the joy of sitting through an animation as it does it all for you.

In another game, like Crysis, you can sneak up behind somebody and melee them in the back of the head in a split second, and be gone in a flash.

I'm not saying one style is right and the other is wrong.....I just prefer the ability to do things quickly, and do them myself. I like the skill of "manual" stealth.

Other folks like the cover system, takedown style of gameplay.....nothing wrong with preferring one way over the other.

It's still a great game and I'm having fun......that's the main thing. ;) 

It is a blast.

I have to admit, I am not playing it quite as much as you are - although I play it some and am saving it for later.

I am absolutely in love with LA Noire, right now. I'll get to DEHR before too long.
m
l
January 3, 2012 1:46:30 AM

PCgamer81 said:
It is a blast.

I have to admit, I am not playing it quite as much as you are - although I play it some and am saving it for later.

I am absolutely in love with LA Noire, right now. I'll get to DEHR before too long.

I heard the facial animations in LA Noire are some of the best ever implemented in a game. What do you think so far?
m
l
January 3, 2012 3:50:08 AM

Stringjam said:
I heard the facial animations in LA Noire are some of the best ever implemented in a game. What do you think so far?

Best I've ever seen, but Metro 2033 had better facial models - just recycled too much and the expressions were meh. But yeah, the expressions themselves are amazing.

My main problem is performance. It is locked at 30fps. When you have gamed on a PC as long as me, 30fps seems like heavy lag. I wish there was a way to fix it - I downloaded a mod, but it screwed the integrity of my cache up and it took an hour getting it back the way it was.

If you know anything, I would sure welcome it.
m
l
January 3, 2012 11:49:50 AM

How far into LA Noire are you?

I loved the first hour or two but after that it quickly went downhill imo, the story went to sh*t and then the game got so mundane and repetative. Every crime scene was the same, every interview was the same etc etc.

I really tried to like it as I am a huge fan of Rockstar and I was looking forwad to it for a long time, I kept refusing to stop playing untill I had completed the game hoping that things might pick, but they didnt imo.

The facial expressions are very impressive though.
m
l
January 3, 2012 12:03:54 PM

Gothams Finest said:
How far into LA Noire are you?

I loved the first hour or two but after that it quickley went downhill imo, the story went to sh*t and then the game got so mundane and repetative. Every crime scene was the same, every interview was the same etc etc.

I really tried to like it as I am a huge fan of Rockstar and I was looking forwad to it for a long time, I kept refusing to stop playing untill I had completed the game hoping that things might pick, but they didnt imo.

The facial expressions are very impressive though.

I just got promoted to a detective. I am partnered with a polish cop - can't remember his name. I am on a case where the guy faked his death by killing the pig in his car (I saw that coming a mile a way as soon as I saw the pig receipt in the trunk).

I have played it about 90 minutes - I absolutely love it. I would have probably beaten by now if not for all the time I have spent trying to deal with the frame rate.

Did you ever find a fix for the 30fps? I didn't spend over $2,000 for Xbox quality. This is getting on my last nerve.
m
l
January 3, 2012 12:39:25 PM

PCgamer81 said:
Here are the ones I picked up:

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine
Civilization V
Rage
Quake 4
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Mafia 2
Xotic
Assasin's Creed
Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Prince of Persia (Remake)
Serious Sam HD
Unreal Tournament Unreal Pack
Tom Clancy's Hawx
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
Company of Heroes
L.A Noire

Those are the games I purchased from 12/15/11 - 12/31/11, and all on Steam (I can't resist a sale).

Which games did you purchase over the holidays?
whoa, holy nice. I wish I could get that many :D 

I got only a few on steam over the holidays:
Skyrim, Portal 2, Masseffect 1 & 2, Magicka.
m
l
!