Security update kb885836 won't install

a b 8 Security
April 3, 2005 9:13:30 PM

During the month after successfully updating Windows XP Home Edition to
SP2 I successfully installed many security updates. Then about 2 weeks
ago I found that I couldn't install security update KB885836.

When I use the automatic windows update feature the installation
progress bar goes to about 75% and then stops. After about a minute I
get another screen simply informing me that "Updates were unable to be
successfully installed. The following updates were not installed:
Security Update for Windows XP (KB885836)".

I have also downloaded this security update file from
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04... to my
hard drive. Then when it try to install it, the KB885836 Install
Wizard spits out another error screen stating "KB885836 Setup Error
Data error (cyclic redundancy check)".

Otherwise the computer works fine and is clear of spywear and viruses.

I've spent several hours on the phone with India (I mean Microsoft) and
been told that I'll simply have to reformat my hard drive and reinstall
Windows XP (and of course all of the applicatons programs). Since it
took many hours to get all the applications installed and several of
them didn't startup without a lot of tech support hand holding, I'm
really reluctant to do this. I've also learned over the years that
this is usually a sign that the tech support people I've been able to
get to aren't up to the job.

I've already inserted my XP CD and used both of the repair options to
see if I could repair any files but that has not cured the problem.

Does anybody know what's wrong and have an elegant solution i.e., one
that addresses the problem without starting from scratch? Thanks
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 5, 2005 1:33:34 AM

How to view the Update log in Windows

Open Internet Explorer and either type or copy and then paste this into the Address
bar:
%windir%\windowsupdate.log

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate the error code(s)
associated with the latest failed attempt to download.

If necessary paste your update log with the errors in it to:
Windows Update newsgroup:
or
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...

!