Quiet Cluster Cooling

minotaar

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Im a grad student preparing plans for my prof for a new 50-100 node duallie cluster in our lab. Currently, we've got a 16 node 1900 MP cluster, each in a mini chassis. Its LOUD. CRAZY loud.

Yes, there is a possibility that we can put the new cluster in another building, but that sets up administration and accessibility issues. For the sake of this discussion, lets assume this cluster isnt going to be in a machine room. But we would ALSO like to keep the labspace holding the cluster as useable as possible: Unfortunately, with 200 cpu fans and 400 case fans whirlling, we'll all be deaf as Kiss. So heres my problem:

I would like to get your input on ways to QUIETLY cool 100 rackmounted 1U duallie boxes. Money is not really an issue; Im just askin for ideas.

In particular, I've been trying to see if it is possible to centrally watercool the cluster, by running all the waterstreams through one big-a$$ exchanger. Has anyone got any experience with this? One of the problems would be the pump: 100 half inch tubes moving water off CPUs is a lot of water per second. It would have to be a hardcore pump.

There are also failure issues: if the pump dies, we dont want to lose 100 machines. Is there a way to get a backup pump to start up if water pressure drops? Are there waterblocks that can dissipate enough heat with no water that the CPU doesnt die before auto-shutoff?

A) how would you watercool rackmounted 200 opterons or 200 MPs? And would it even be that quiet? I think it could be made quiet with central cooling (i.e. giant exchanger, 1 giant pump)

or

B) how would you cool it otherwise?

Constraint: No downclocking/volting

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
For cooling you'd be better off with 2U, allowing larger slower fans on larger sinks.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thinking about it you're looking at, at least, 3 full height rackmount cabinets (not including UPS). I'd call up a manufacturere of heatpipes and evacuate the heat from the 1U enclosures. Then from the heatpipe you can run a centraziled water cooling system for each cabinet. I'd also have an automatic shut down if the pumps fail. Running more than one pump is not recommended as you can "dead-head" the pumps running water. Since water is incompressable if the pumps are not perfectly syncronized they will work against each other and could be damaged depending on what type they are. One pump per cabinet and a large radiator on the back of the cabinet may work well.

Leave a real <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq" target="_new">link</A>