karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
So is there any way to test to see if a power supply is dieing? Because me hardrive is being weird and I need to know if my power supply is the colporate so I dont buy another hard drive and just have the same problems

As I sit up in my bed looking at all the stars, I begin to wonder... WHERE THE HECK IS MY ROOF!?

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
1) Go into BIOS, usually under "PC Health" or something similar and check the power rails to see if the +12volts is actually +12 and so forth. They s/b within 10% of stated voltage.

2) Better, download free program Motherboard Monitor 5 (MBM5). Install and run the "dashboard". It will display all the rails and as you work on your pc you can monitor the flucuations to make sure they are within tolerance.

I understand you can set MBM5 to monitor in increments of 5 seconds and make a report, so that when problems happen you can call up the report and see if power started to flucuate badly causing the problem.

I think you can also use a multimeter to check the rails. But I'm guessing if you had one of those you wouldn't be posting this question :)

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
9600 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE