disabled startup items

April 4, 2005 7:43:04 PM

I disabled over half of my startup items in Windows XP. Yet, several times,
I have found that they some way became enabled - all of them! Can you shed
any light on how that is happening and what I can do to prevent it? Thanks
so much

More about : disabled startup items

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 10:36:33 PM

You used the System Configuration Utility (msconfig.exe) to disable the
startup items.

The programs related to those startup items don't know that they had
been disabled, they automatically re-enable their startup references.
They will keep doing this unless...
a. You stop the reference from each program.
b. Delete the start reference from the registry.

The System Configuration Utility is meant to be used for troubleshooting
not as a startup manager.

The correct method for removing any startup is to use the program that
placed it there in the first place. Always check the main program's own
options or preferences, or the system tray icon's options (if the
program has one) before resorting to any startup manager.

Look to see what programs you have listed under the Startup tab. Open
those programs, one at a time, and look in Options, Settings,
Preferences, Properties or similar. Look to see if there is an option
like: Load at startup, or: Start when Windows starts or similar.
Uncheck or de-select these options.

With some programs there is no option to stop this. The only way is
with editing the Registry. My suggestion would be to download, install
and run Startman or an equivalant start manager.

[[StartMan is a startup manager created to address some of the
shortcomings in Microsoft's original System Configuration Utility
(MSCONFIG.EXE). MSCONFIG is primarily a troubleshooting tool, not a
startup manager, and as such it does not permit the permanent removal of
startups - they can only be disabled.]]

Startman will show what the startup programs are and allow you to
disable their startup properties. It shows how or where a program is
started. If a program is started from Registry entry, it shows the
path, so you can go there and edit (delete) the entry. There is also an
option that sends you to Pacman's Portal to show a recommendation if a
particular program should or should not start at startup.

Startman 1.3.96 is available here:
http://www.pt.lu/comnet/desc/startman.html

StartMan is a GOOD Utility, I use it all the time, especially after
installing software. Everything you install wants to run at startup.
StartMan shows where something starts from. Check out the Help in
StartMan also! You can either have StartMan disable startups or just
use it to find where something is loading from. Best thing is, it only
runs when you start it. StartMan does not run in the background.

There other programs that can be used. But I know nothing about them.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:897BBFB0-977B-437F-B227-68D3320ED6AA@microsoft.com,
JJ <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I disabled over half of my startup items in Windows XP. Yet, several
> times, I have found that they some way became enabled - all of them!
> Can you shed any light on how that is happening and what I can do to
> prevent it? Thanks so much
April 4, 2005 10:36:34 PM

Thank you! That helps SO MUCH!

JJ

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
> installing software. Everything you install wants to run at startup.
> StartMan shows where something starts from. Check out the Help in
> StartMan also! You can either have StartMan disable startups or just
> use it to find where something is loading from. Best thing is, it only
> runs when you start it. StartMan does not run in the background.
>
> There other programs that can be used. But I know nothing about them.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:897BBFB0-977B-437F-B227-68D3320ED6AA@microsoft.com,
> JJ <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I disabled over half of my startup items in Windows XP. Yet, several
> > times, I have found that they some way became enabled - all of them!
> > Can you shed any light on how that is happening and what I can do to

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 11:10:18 AM

You betcha. Keep having fun. :-)

--