Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Automotive Racing Games Recommendation Thread

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 1, 2012 8:20:45 PM

It's been a long time since I played a racing game. The last time I was into racers, PS2 was the hottest new system and Gran Tourismo was the best simulation, Need for Speed was more arcade-ish, and they still made Ridge Racer games (do they even still make these actually?). That said, I'm looking for some recommendations from fans of the genre for some racing games for PC. My rig is in my signature. I personally have no preference as far as street car or formula 1 or even indy league. I just want a top notch impressive racing game. I do not however have a steering wheel controller so if there is a game you like but having a wheel and shift setup is intrinsic to the experience, still mention it but just make a note that it would strongly benefit from a wheel and shifter.

Thanks, and I look forward to seeing what pops up in here.

Best solution

January 1, 2012 8:46:48 PM

I really like Shift 2: Unleashed for that "edge of disaster" feel. As far as game type, it falls into the Gran Turismo camp.....less arcade and more sim.

Takes awhile to get the hang of the handling, and I STRONGLY RECOMMEND the tire minimod if you get it. I don't have a wheel (I use a controller) but I think a wheel would help. Lately it's been on sale for really cheap so you might find a good deal on it.

Here's a little vid I took driving a Pagani through a little stretch of Nurburgring.....gives you a bit of on idea on the gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W36cGu7hpEc
Share
January 1, 2012 9:51:46 PM

After looking more into Shift 2, I went ahead and purchased this game. Your video was compelling and the more I looked the more I liked what I saw. This looks like the racing game for me and a nice modern extension of Gran Turismo quality. Thanks a lot and if anyone else has anyone favorites, post about them. There are probably a lot of people like me who just haven't played a racing game in a while and aren't sure where to start getting back into it.
Score
0
Related resources
January 1, 2012 10:53:27 PM

casualcolors said:
After looking more into Shift 2, I went ahead and purchased this game. Your video was compelling and the more I looked the more I liked what I saw. This looks like the racing game for me and a nice modern extension of Gran Turismo quality. Thanks a lot and if anyone else has anyone favorites, post about them. There are probably a lot of people like me who just haven't played a racing game in a while and aren't sure where to start getting back into it.



Here's a link to the minimod. I STRONGLY recommend it, as I almost quit playing it until I downloaded this.

http://www.bsimracing.com/2011/04/shift2-release-minimo...


Another tip.....car setup makes a BIG difference in this game. A lot of the cars have drastic oversteer and you'll need to change a few settings to get rid of it. Drop me a pm if you have any questions and maybe I can save you a little time.
Score
0
January 1, 2012 11:02:42 PM

Nice thanks.

The look-to-apex feature of this game is really what drew me into buying it. Looks really hot.
Score
0
January 2, 2012 12:31:52 AM

Well you weren't joking about the handling mod. Game feels awful without it. Feels very good with it.
Score
0
January 2, 2012 12:38:21 AM

casualcolors said:
Well you weren't joking about the handling mod. Game feels awful without it. Feels very good with it.



Well that was quick...LOL. I spent several days pulling my hair out before I found that mod. Steering settings made a huge difference, too. Steering ratio and the "oversteer/understeer" setting...forgot exactly which slider that was.
Score
0
January 2, 2012 1:14:58 AM

Game is very fun String. Great recommendation. I'm considering canceling my SFIV fightpad order to get a cheap wheel/stick/pedal combo instead lol.
Score
0
January 2, 2012 4:28:09 AM

casualcolors said:
Game is very fun String. Great recommendation. I'm considering canceling my SFIV fightpad order to get a cheap wheel/stick/pedal combo instead lol.


Cool.....I really wish I had a wheel for this game (and pedals / shifter).

I get so sucked into the races....sometimes I actually feel exhausted after a close, intense race. :)  I really dig the short, city based tracks like Miami, Tokyo, and London.
Score
0
January 2, 2012 7:14:43 PM

I had to do it. Canceled the fightpad order and picked up a used driving force pro wheel lol.
Score
0
January 6, 2012 8:57:07 PM

Just wanted to follow-up on the wheel purchase a bit for you Stringjam. I ordered a used Driving Force Pro originally designed for the PS2 by logitech (was also fully functional on PC as it came with plug and play usb to begin with).

All I can say is that it is a TON more fun with the wheel, shifter and pedals. Thanks again for the recommendation. It took me in a lot more extreme direction than I originally intended to go, but I'm having a blast now with the great deal I got on an otherwise way overpriced piece of logitech controller poopoo.
Score
0
January 7, 2012 3:12:51 AM

casualcolors said:
Just wanted to follow-up on the wheel purchase a bit for you Stringjam. I ordered a used Driving Force Pro originally designed for the PS2 by logitech (was also fully functional on PC as it came with plug and play usb to begin with).

All I can say is that it is a TON more fun with the wheel, shifter and pedals. Thanks again for the recommendation. It took me in a lot more extreme direction than I originally intended to go, but I'm having a blast now with the great deal I got on an otherwise way overpriced piece of logitech controller poopoo.



Glad you like the game casual - - but now you have me jonesing for a wheel / pedals setup!
Score
0
January 7, 2012 7:21:56 AM

the real sickner of pc gaming for me is its poor racing game support... this is proven by the fact that e.a have 1 of the most accurate racers on pc. shift 2 has more detail than gt5 on every track that both support. which is pretty poor in my book... most current racers play like dirt 2 or worse race driver grid... but there are a few titles that are worth looking at, that arnt as well known... Rfactor and race07 both are well supported. have real world physics and are classed as racing sims...

personally i prefer to play gt4 over all of em... whether it be on my old faithfull ps2 or via emulator (yes apart from a few menu bugs and a lot of setup time, gt4 works on pc) currently i have a TT best time round the ring at 5m:15s which puts me in the top 1% in the world for the game.
the only issue with running the emulator is that you really do need a beefy pc to get 30+fps consistently.
Score
0
January 7, 2012 6:22:49 PM

Stringjam said:
Glad you like the game casual - - but now you have me jonesing for a wheel / pedals setup!


Would it be cruel of me to advise you to drop your next video game purchase in favor of a wheel and pedals instead? It literally changed the game and the level of immersion for me 10fold.
Score
0
January 7, 2012 6:22:58 PM

Best answer selected by casualcolors.
Score
0
!