Where to sell EQ acc'ts? How much for this lvl65?

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
A friend of mine is selling their everquest account and they weren't sure where to sell it at, any suggestions?

I know nothing of everquest but I know its a level 65 enchanter that is flagged for elemental planes, and only 3 away for plane of time.

Heres a link to the character for those who know about EQ and might know what it would be worth.

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinney on 07/18/03 05:23 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
<A HREF="http://www.playerauctions.com" target="_new">http://www.playerauctions.com</A>

His gear is pretty outdated. I wouldnt expect too too much for it.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Hey I can play a lvl59 wizard for free, and prob take the account over for free if i want eventually.. but he has been totally raped of item and money.
Would I be better off buying a character with items already or going and getting that one some?

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500

You'd be better off uninstalling EverQuest and waiting for World of Warcraft. SOE can't even get a bloody PRE-ORDER for their new expansion right. Anyone that clicked on pre-order lost most of their AA points and if they died (even if level 65) they were reverted back to level 50.

I mean come on. I know software is very hard to get right, but this is BEYOND ridiculous. It's a PRE-ORDER, for God's sake... nothing complicated.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Ya know, I think your right. I noticed massive slowdowns in zones with lots of people and slowdowns in 'graphically intensive' zones. It is ridiculous, that game is NOT good looking by any of today standards, the textures are alright but I dont find it high poly or anything that should tax my GF3, even in the trading zones I dont feel it should do what it does to my system.

I have games that make EQ even on highest settings look dog poopy.
I've gotten disconnected already and havent even been playing very much, as long as EQ has been around they should have reliable service, all the time espeically for the price.

Eh, its sony I never knew them to make games anyway just cheap stereos. :smile:
I do enjoy my 32in trinitron tele, if i dont watch my tongue, the sony gods will prob zap my tube for me!

I have been waiting for WOW, I'm a huge Warcraft fan, their stuff is very efficient and works well.

edit- but im finding myself slowly getting addicted to EQ, the account has a nice lvl22 iskar monk i like playing
the 59 gnome wizard i havent played yet, i dont know how to use a caster.

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinney on 07/18/03 05:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Lumathix

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
I'm no phanboi of EQ or Sony or of Verant (who brought the game out before SoE was involved), but just to let ya know, they fixed that pre-order thing within a day and everyone is fine.
I dunno, but my first MMORPG experience was that one, but I've tried AO, AO Notum Wars, DAoC, Earth & Beyond, SWG....and I keep going back to EQ. They're doing *something* right, cuz they're what, 4 years old not counting beta, and they still have half a million accounts active.........these are the facts, deal with them as you will. Believe me, I wish I could drop EQ for something better, more fun, etc. but there's nothing out there I guess.

<font color=red> "Mix it with the relish!" - Pauly Walnuts (The Sopranos) </font color=red>

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
When in the trading zones you have to turn down your clipping plane. The game is 4 years old and believe it or not it's not taxing your GF3. Your ram is being gobbled up by all the traders that your system has to display. 400 people in a zone brings the biggest and baddest systems to thier knees. Just adjust your clipping plane and things will become smoother.

Lumathix

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
Well, you can't compare the Warcraft series to a MMORPG. They're two totally different game worlds. One is run on your machine only (or maybe you're connected to 3 or 4 others max through Battle.net), while the other has up to 2000 peeps playing at the same time over multiple servers located a long way away. =P I'm surprised you're experiencing disconnect issues. I haven't had a random disconnect playing EQ in a LONG time. Even after a massive patch. There have been issues but they seem to become fixed relatively soon. Believe it or not, I think the EQ folks have got it down pat. I don't agree with some of the ways they do business, but they know what they're doing. They're the veterens in the genre. Yes, it's frightening. =P

<font color=red> "Mix it with the relish!" - Pauly Walnuts (The Sopranos) </font color=red>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I was referring to the soon to be released World of Warcraft, it is a MMORPG.. I'm not that dim! :smile:
BTW if anyone plays on matheniel marr, my main character now is Mordakk, hes a lvl10 iskar necro.

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500

Lumathix

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
I used to have all my toons on Mith Marr before the big server split to Drinal a while back. =)

Anyway, keep in mind that this will be a new world for Blizzard. I'm refering to WoW. They've been very successful in the RTS market, and I totally respect them as a leader in that genre, but MMORPG's are extremely hard to pull off judging from most of other company's launches to date. It will be interesting to see how Blizzard does.

<font color=red> "It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations." - Sir Winston Churchill </font color=red>

I played on Mith Marr up until I quit back in December last year... had been playing since Dec. 99. All I can say is that things seem to be getting worse instead of better for EQ. Every expansion has been incomplete and introduces tons of bugs.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I agree with you.. Ive been playing heavy EQ lately and find the service underpar already.
In fact, mithaniel marr (not a new server) went down right now (7-27-03 6:57AM CST).

Anyway, Ive been all about WoW and will prob make that my MMORPG home on release.
I'm glad for my EQ time, learned alot.. I'm sure WoW will be similar.

Something tells me blizzard can make a better ORPG than verant/sony.

If it wasnt going to be the best MMORPG out there, they'd cancel it.

My 2cent

btw post here when you create a WoW character someday, i'll be checking as usual and maybe we could do some united Tom's adventuring :tongue:

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
If it wasnt going to be the best MMORPG out there, they'd cancel it
I've got to disagree with you there. After this much time in developement, the cost of not releasing the game would be enormous. They'd do better to release a total shitbag of a game than not release it at all. Look at all of the other dead and failing MMO's. Anarchy Online, AC2, etc; None of these other games were anywhere near 'good' or even finished when they were released.

That's not to take anything away from Blizzard though. They have a ton of trust from their consumer base, and I'm sure the game's initial sales will do very well. How well it does in the long run, we'll have to wait and see.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Now that I think about it, I agree with you. The development on WoW is to large to cancel and the companies that have a stake in blizzard (vivendi?) wouldnt allow that anyway.

I am going to try WoW for sure, if it is a flop I'll stick with EQ as Ive enjoyed it immensely.

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
EQ2 is due out in September, though I'm not sure now if they're going to meet that release date. It *looks* promising, but it's SOE again so who knows. I'm hoping it's cool enough to stem the tide until WoW comes out, probably late next year.

Another company to keep your eye on if you're interested in MMO's is Sigil Entertainment. They were founded by the original founders of Verant Interactive, the company which eventually sold EQ to Sony. Their game probably wont hit until 05-06', but it's probably going to be the biggest MMO since EQ.

<A HREF="http://www.sigilgames.com" target="_new">http://www.sigilgames.com</A>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
This guys account I'm playing on, I want to take it over but dont know how.

Do I get his cd keys from him and call sony? What do I say?

I know in their agreement to not let others use your account and what not.

But I need this account to be payed for by my credit card. I started a iskar necro and got to level 21 and im purely addicted!
Sonys so worried about losing a few hundred thousand dollars from their billions that they won't let me take over a guys account that I learned how to play their f****** game on.
Which I dont understand. I also feel they are going to lose massive amounts of players if they dont start being better about trying to keep the base they have now.

If I cant get control of the account I'll probably quit playing until EQ2 (prob not though as this would sour me pretty hard on sony) or WoW.

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Basically, cancel the rebilling on the account. Then re-subscribe with your own CC once the old subscription runs out. The downside to doing this: The original owner can almost ALWAYS find a way to regain control of the account, especially if he still has the CD keys.

Secondly, Sony will outright ban the account if they find out that it's changed hands. So emailing them is not a good idea.

I also feel they are going to lose massive amounts of players if they dont start being better about trying to keep the base they have now.
Unfortunately, they've treated their customer base almost the same way for the last 4 years. Nobody has ever flocked away in droves. Even when people left for 'greener pastures' in other MMO's, they usually come right back.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I am going to buy the boxed set of EQ and all the expansions that comes out in a month or so for $30, then transfer the characters I use to that account.
This account only has 2/3 of the games/expansions including the original everquest.
I have three months left on my friends account then I'll open mine, renew the old account with my CC for one month and transfer the 59 wiz and my 21 necro that i plan on getting to 65 by that time.

I'm going to do the yearly rate @$10/month.
I think EQ will stay popular as long as they keep the rates down to around $10 while the others go up.
I personally wouldnt pay more than that for a game, unless it was spectacular like I hope WoW will be.

He is going to give me his cd keys so I'm planning keeping his account inactive unless I want to two box.

BTW, what do you think about DAoQ?
That would probably be my 2nd choice if all this doesnt go down as planned.

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
EQ is 12.95 a month. (nitpicking, sorry!) Are you sure you want to be tied into a 4 year old game for another year? EQ2 and World of Warcraft are right around the corner. You can always renew your subscription, but if you stop playing early, your cash is gone for good. What I did when I was playing, is made use of the 3 or 6 month options, depending on how much I hated the game when my renewal came around. :)

Secondly, SOE has an "All Access Pass" now. Which for something like 21.95 a month, you get access to EQ, EQ2, Planetside, Tanarus, and that other retarded online game they have. If you plan on playing any of those other games, that'd probably be the best way to go, save yourself some cash.

Dark Age of Camelot, I've never played it. When it was released it was heralded as the EQ Killer. Quite obviously that didnt happen, the games are too dissimilar. DAoC is primarily a PvP game, with little to no 'End-Game' for PvE. So if you like PvP, maybe DAoC would be cool for you. It's graphics are superior to EQ's as well, which isnt really saying much, but it's a pretty game. Now that Camelot has been out for a while, they've got a few expansions out for it and it's supposedly a pretty well rounded PvP RPG.

Lumathix

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
September? No friggin way =/ Less ya mean Sept. '04.

<font color=red> "It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations." - Sir Winston Churchill </font color=red>

Lumathix

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
You're right about DAoC being geared towards PvP.
But I definately disagree about the graphics. They're as bad as EQ's. I take that back, the spell graphics in DAoC are better, but that's about it. The avatars are horrible.