Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

eq2 where does the spotted yellow butterfly spawn?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 4:50:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

I've seen these selling for a gold but i can't find them. I can't justify
that price for a ring and it seems out of whack if the item is found in T1.
Is it in tier 2? Incredibly rare? What's the catch? I have a full maple box
of the other types.

Ralph the obsessive collector
Najena
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 5:01:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote in message
news:6aJAd.93937$K7.30867@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> I've seen these selling for a gold but i can't find them. I can't justify
> that price for a ring and it seems out of whack if the item is found in
T1.
> Is it in tier 2? Incredibly rare? What's the catch? I have a full maple
box
> of the other types.
>
> Ralph the obsessive collector
> Najena
>
>
It does drop in the t1 areas, just have to keep at it unfortunately =)
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 7:14:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Pamela Carlton" <lambchop@whocareswhere.com> wrote in message
news:LjJAd.94020$K7.20865@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
> "Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote in message
> news:6aJAd.93937$K7.30867@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> > I've seen these selling for a gold but i can't find them. I can't
justify
> > that price for a ring and it seems out of whack if the item is found in
> T1.
> > Is it in tier 2? Incredibly rare? What's the catch? I have a full maple
> box
> > of the other types.
> >
> > Ralph the obsessive collector
> > Najena
> >
> >
> It does drop in the t1 areas, just have to keep at it unfortunately =)
>
>
>

It must be considerably rarer; the other ones sell for about 1 sp, but the
yellow spotted are between 80 and 100 sp. I think the collection quests are
badly thought out because they usually go green long before you have any
chance of finishing them. Maybe if fishing nodes had been made attractive
there would have been more balance, or if they made fishing nodes distinct
from the other nodes (i was told they weren't) so that other nodes were more
available...

I've spent 3 hrs harvesting nodes and no spotted yellow, but plenty of
others spawned. I guess it's just time to save up and buy it. Maybe it only
spawns in particular zones.
December 30, 2004 11:19:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote in message
news:6aJAd.93937$K7.30867@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> I've seen these selling for a gold but i can't find them. I can't justify
> that price for a ring and it seems out of whack if the item is found in
T1.
> Is it in tier 2? Incredibly rare? What's the catch? I have a full maple
box
> of the other types.
>
> Ralph the obsessive collector
> Najena
>
Hehehe I just had this flashback to Gilligan's Island... One of the many
times they could have been rescued, this time by a scientist that studied
butterflies. He was looking for the extremely rare yellow spotted butterfly.
They painted a moth to look like it. Too bad it wouldn't work in EQ2.
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 1:14:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:50:58 GMT, "Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz>
wrotC:D RIVE_E

>I've seen these selling for a gold but i can't find them. I can't justify
>that price for a ring and it seems out of whack if the item is found in T1.
>Is it in tier 2? Incredibly rare? What's the catch? I have a full maple box
>of the other types.
>

I found all of the butterflies in the newbie zones -- Oakmyst Forest,
the Forest Ruins, and the Caves. Just keep wandering and you'll
eventually find them. Don't let people rip you off with ludicrous
prices.
*----------------------------------------------------*
Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
"I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
http://www.mrlizard.com
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 4:44:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote in message
news:RgLAd.94671$K7.1330@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
> "Pamela Carlton" <lambchop@whocareswhere.com> wrote in message
> news:LjJAd.94020$K7.20865@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> >
> > "Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote in message
> > news:6aJAd.93937$K7.30867@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> > > I've seen these selling for a gold but i can't find them. I can't
> justify
> > > that price for a ring and it seems out of whack if the item is found
in
> > T1.
> > > Is it in tier 2? Incredibly rare? What's the catch? I have a full
maple
> > box
> > > of the other types.
> > >
> > > Ralph the obsessive collector
> > > Najena
> > >
> > >
> > It does drop in the t1 areas, just have to keep at it unfortunately =)
> >
> >
> >
>
> It must be considerably rarer; the other ones sell for about 1 sp, but the
> yellow spotted are between 80 and 100 sp. I think the collection quests
are
> badly thought out because they usually go green long before you have any
> chance of finishing them. Maybe if fishing nodes had been made attractive
> there would have been more balance, or if they made fishing nodes distinct
> from the other nodes (i was told they weren't) so that other nodes were
more
> available...
>
> I've spent 3 hrs harvesting nodes and no spotted yellow, but plenty of
> others spawned. I guess it's just time to save up and buy it. Maybe it
only
> spawns in particular zones.
>
Ok, this is ridiculous, i now have a full inventory of nothing but
collectables like bone fragments and butterflies, with just a little taken
up by food and drink. I've taken to destroying as I go. Does anyone know if
this will drop in a particular zone eg antonica? I was walking with 3
pristine maple boxes full of nothing but butterflies. A few i got to sell
off as i waddled, but noone ever saw one, or reported it, and the one
selling for 3 gp has gone. I'm guessing they are used to twink alts?
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 4:44:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:44:16 GMT, "Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz>
wrotC:D RIVE_E

>Ok, this is ridiculous, i now have a full inventory of nothing but
>collectables like bone fragments and butterflies, with just a little taken
>up by food and drink.

You do realize that you right-click them and 'add to collection' so
they vanish from your inventory, right?

*----------------------------------------------------*
Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
"I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
http://www.mrlizard.com
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 11:13:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Lizard" <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in message
news:6r68t0pd8keaih6iv3d4mnb2mfpp9kgcp6@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:44:16 GMT, "Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz>
> wrotC:D RIVE_E
>
> >Ok, this is ridiculous, i now have a full inventory of nothing but
> >collectables like bone fragments and butterflies, with just a little
taken
> >up by food and drink.
>
> You do realize that you right-click them and 'add to collection' so
> they vanish from your inventory, right?
>
> *----------------------------------------------------*
> Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
> "I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
> once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
> http://www.mrlizard.com

Strangely enough, I do. Which is why i was looking for the aformentioned
spotted yellow butterfly in particular.
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 11:15:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Lizard" <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in message
news:o o68t09c2knm7ppb0r99gcn90qpdulap32@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:50:58 GMT, "Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz>
> wrotC:D RIVE_E
>
> >I've seen these selling for a gold but i can't find them. I can't justify
> >that price for a ring and it seems out of whack if the item is found in
T1.
> >Is it in tier 2? Incredibly rare? What's the catch? I have a full maple
box
> >of the other types.
> >
>
> I found all of the butterflies in the newbie zones -- Oakmyst Forest,
> the Forest Ruins, and the Caves. Just keep wandering and you'll
> eventually find them. Don't let people rip you off with ludicrous
> prices.
> *----------------------------------------------------*
> Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
> "I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
> once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
> http://www.mrlizard.com

It looks like they just made that one butterfly extremely rare. I'm guessing
they've done this to all the sets. No other butterfly was priced that high.
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 4:23:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 08:13:45 GMT, "Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote:

>
>"Lizard" <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in message
>news:6r68t0pd8keaih6iv3d4mnb2mfpp9kgcp6@4ax.com...
>> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:44:16 GMT, "Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz>
>> wrotC:D RIVE_E
>>
>> >Ok, this is ridiculous, i now have a full inventory of nothing but
>> >collectables like bone fragments and butterflies, with just a little
>taken
>> >up by food and drink.
>>
>> You do realize that you right-click them and 'add to collection' so
>> they vanish from your inventory, right?
>>
>> *----------------------------------------------------*
>> Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
>> "I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
>> once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
>> http://www.mrlizard.com
>
>Strangely enough, I do. Which is why i was looking for the aformentioned
>spotted yellow butterfly in particular.
>

1) If you realize this, why do you have an inventory full of them?

and, 2) What does this fact have to do with why you're looking for one
specific collectable?

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord
(I have no association with this site. Just thought it was funny as hell)

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 7:40:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:14:41 GMT, Shadow wrote:

>I think the collection quests are
>badly thought out because they usually go green long before you have any
>chance of finishing them.

What annoys me the most is that the collection quests fill up my quest
journal. Currently, I have about thirty collections and this forces me to
try and rush-collect, i.e., buy the remaining one or two items in a
collection to free up slots. If I had a separate collection journal, I would
just let the collections rest there until I came upon the missing item by
chance or was offered a good deal.

And the way the market is at the moment, most collections contain items that
are typically sold for much more than the collection reward is worth. If I
recall correctly, I was rewarded about 20 silver for a plain spider
collection, but you often see plain spiders cost more than that.
Fortunately, I only paid 10 silver for the gray spider I needed, but still,
it seems like an awful lot of trouble for very little.

As things are, I'm tempted to never start another collection and simply sell
the items on the market. But then again, I'm in it for the fun of it, not to
rip off other players, and I still hope one day to get a really worthwhile
collection reward.
--
Henrik Dissing
Vork - Dwarven Guardian on Highkeep

(e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 8:15:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Dark Tyger" <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in message
news:8pgbt0pv4ov229r02ptq10gga2fpev0866@4ax.com...
>>> You do realize that you right-click them and 'add to collection' so
>>> they vanish from your inventory, right?
>>
>>Strangely enough, I do. Which is why i was looking for the aformentioned
>>spotted yellow butterfly in particular.
>>
>
> 1) If you realize this, why do you have an inventory full of them?

Only the first will add to your collection and disappear. Subsequent ones
just take up inventory space. I typically auction off in the T1 zone that
I'm willing to trade for what I need. That may be what he's doing, too.

--
EQ: Binnen 65+ enc - Zeb
EQ2: Lahr 10+ enc - Kith
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 12:51:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in
news:8pgbt0pv4ov229r02ptq10gga2fpev0866@4ax.com:

> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 08:13:45 GMT, "Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote:
>
>>
>>"Lizard" <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in message
>>news:6r68t0pd8keaih6iv3d4mnb2mfpp9kgcp6@4ax.com...
>>> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:44:16 GMT, "Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz>
>>> wrotC:D RIVE_E
>>>
>>> >Ok, this is ridiculous, i now have a full inventory of nothing but
>>> >collectables like bone fragments and butterflies, with just a little
>>> >taken up by food and drink.
>>>
>>> You do realize that you right-click them and 'add to collection' so
>>> they vanish from your inventory, right?
>>
>>Strangely enough, I do. Which is why i was looking for the
aformentioned
>>spotted yellow butterfly in particular.
>
> 1) If you realize this, why do you have an inventory full of them?
>
> and, 2) What does this fact have to do with why you're looking for one
> specific collectable?
>

Probably because he is not getting rid of the duplicates.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Prophet of 69 seasons

On Steamfont
Graeme, 19 Dwarven Shaman, 17 Scholar
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 5:38:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Dan Harmon" <deharmon@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news:z-qdnYk-oYHiUkjcRVn-qg@giganews.com...
>
> "Dark Tyger" <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> news:8pgbt0pv4ov229r02ptq10gga2fpev0866@4ax.com...
> >>> You do realize that you right-click them and 'add to collection' so
> >>> they vanish from your inventory, right?
> >>
> >>Strangely enough, I do. Which is why i was looking for the aformentioned
> >>spotted yellow butterfly in particular.
> >>
> >
> > 1) If you realize this, why do you have an inventory full of them?
>
> Only the first will add to your collection and disappear. Subsequent ones
> just take up inventory space. I typically auction off in the T1 zone that
> I'm willing to trade for what I need. That may be what he's doing, too.
>
> --
> EQ: Binnen 65+ enc - Zeb
> EQ2: Lahr 10+ enc - Kith
>
>

Yep, and I had enough for two full sets bar the spotted yellow, which i
eventually got for 50s. On the plus side my harvesting etc skills are going
up. On the down side i've started all these fragment/shard quests that
occupy heaps of journal space for very green quests. I just hope that they
haven't done what they do with gambling, and made the distribution uneven,
so that it looks like you are always just about to win if you keep investing
money/time into a rigged game...

I was trying to sell / trade off the 'flies as i went but noone had seen
the particular butterfly. It just seems to me that they have decided one
member of each set will be incredibly rare, and I hope I'm wrong about that.
On te other hand, i think i got 30 % of a level out of the butterfly ring.
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 11:34:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:40:42 +0100, Henrik Dissing
<sorry@drowned.in.spam.invalid> wrotC:D RIVE_E

>As things are, I'm tempted to never start another collection and simply sell
>the items on the market. But then again, I'm in it for the fun of it, not to
>rip off other players, and I still hope one day to get a really worthwhile
>collection reward.

I found the XP award (about a third of a level at 16) and the item
reward for the complete butterfly quest to be very good.
*----------------------------------------------------*
Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
"I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
http://www.mrlizard.com
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 11:34:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 08:34:42 -0500, Lizard <lizard@mrlizard.com>
wrote:

>I found the XP award (about a third of a level at 16) and the item
>reward for the complete butterfly quest to be very good.
>*----------------------------------------------------*
>Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
>"I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
>once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
>http://www.mrlizard.com

Bit of a nitpick here, unrelated to the topic at hand:

Please use the standard "-- " (two dashes, one space. No quotes) sig
separator. Most newsreaders auto-trim sigs and look for this standard
as a cue to snip. In fact, most -REAL- newsreaders use this before
anything you enter as a sig by default.

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord
(I have no association with this site. Just thought it was funny as hell)

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 7:05:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote in
news:w2oBd.98223$K7.73456@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

>
> "Dan Harmon" <deharmon@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> news:z-qdnYk-oYHiUkjcRVn-qg@giganews.com...
>>
>> "Dark Tyger" <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>> news:8pgbt0pv4ov229r02ptq10gga2fpev0866@4ax.com...
>> >>> You do realize that you right-click them and 'add to collection'
>> >>> so they vanish from your inventory, right?
>> >>
>> >>Strangely enough, I do. Which is why i was looking for the
>> >>aformentioned spotted yellow butterfly in particular.
>> >>
>> >
>> > 1) If you realize this, why do you have an inventory full of them?
>>
>> Only the first will add to your collection and disappear. Subsequent
>> ones just take up inventory space. I typically auction off in the T1
>> zone that I'm willing to trade for what I need. That may be what
>> he's doing, too.
>>
>> --
>> EQ: Binnen 65+ enc - Zeb
>> EQ2: Lahr 10+ enc - Kith
>>
>>
>
> Yep, and I had enough for two full sets bar the spotted yellow, which
> i eventually got for 50s. On the plus side my harvesting etc skills
> are going up. On the down side i've started all these fragment/shard
> quests that occupy heaps of journal space for very green quests. I
> just hope that they haven't done what they do with gambling, and made
> the distribution uneven, so that it looks like you are always just
> about to win if you keep investing money/time into a rigged game...
>
> I was trying to sell / trade off the 'flies as i went but noone had
> seen the particular butterfly. It just seems to me that they have
> decided one member of each set will be incredibly rare, and I hope I'm
> wrong about that. On te other hand, i think i got 30 % of a level out
> of the butterfly ring.
>

I ask if anyone needs the extras, if I get no takers, I get rid of them.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Prophet of 69 seasons

On Steamfont
Graeme, 19 Dwarven Shaman, 17 Scholar
!