XP Pro wont start

Hi There,
Over the past couple of weeks, I have found that my PC has difficulty in
starting up. I am running XP Pro (SP 1) on an AMD Althon MP 2800+, 2.13 GHz
processor, 1 gig RAM. Each morning the PC has between 3 to 6 attempts before
booting successfully. This morning it took 6 attempts to boot, & when it
finally did, I was able to log onto my desktop to start working only to have
it reset itself after about 3 minutes of use. Once the PC was up & running,
it seemed to settle down & appear normal. The PC is on all day normally & is
quite stable.
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what this could be?

Thanks in advance.

Angelo Sartore

Melbourne
AUSTRALIA

ADOPT, ADAPT, INVENT, DESTROY !

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Problems booting the computer indicate issues with memory, cpu, motherboard,
etc as Windows is not in the mix at that time. Can you get into the BIOS?
How long since the motherboard battery was replaced? Power Supply working
ok?

Victorville, California

"Angelo Sartore" <fangio@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
> Hi There,
> Over the past couple of weeks, I have found that my PC has difficulty in
> starting up. I am running XP Pro (SP 1) on an AMD Althon MP 2800+, 2.13
> GHz
> processor, 1 gig RAM. Each morning the PC has between 3 to 6 attempts
> before
> booting successfully. This morning it took 6 attempts to boot, & when it
> finally did, I was able to log onto my desktop to start working only to
> have
> it reset itself after about 3 minutes of use. Once the PC was up &
> running,
> it seemed to settle down & appear normal. The PC is on all day normally &
> is
> quite stable.
> I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what this could be?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Angelo Sartore
>
> Melbourne
> AUSTRALIA
>
> ADOPT, ADAPT, INVENT, DESTROY !

On occasions it will make it to the 'Windows XP' splash screen, but most
times it will not make it to there before rebooting itself.
Today, after finally getting to the logon screen, my wife logged on &
started entering data when it decided to reboot.
Could this be a heat thing?
As I mentioned in the previous post, the PC is on all day & works fine once
the initial hiccups have past!

Angelo Sartore

Melbourne
AUSTRALIA

ADOPT, ADAPT, INVENT, DESTROY !

> Where does it get to when it stalls?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>
> "Angelo Sartore" <fangio@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
> > Hi There,
> > Over the past couple of weeks, I have found that my PC has difficulty in
> > starting up. I am running XP Pro (SP 1) on an AMD Althon MP 2800+, 2.13
> > GHz
> > processor, 1 gig RAM. Each morning the PC has between 3 to 6 attempts
> > before
> > booting successfully. This morning it took 6 attempts to boot, & when it
> > finally did, I was able to log onto my desktop to start working only to
> > have
> > it reset itself after about 3 minutes of use. Once the PC was up &
> > running,
> > it seemed to settle down & appear normal. The PC is on all day normally
&
> > is
> > quite stable.
> > I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what this could be?
> >
> > Thanks in advance >
> > Angelo Sartore
> >
> > Melbourne
> > AUSTRALIA
> >
> > ADOPT, ADAPT, INVENT, DESTROY !

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

you may also want to try reseating your ram, as "chip creep" may have got the
best of you. Also, if I were you, I would try running a memory testing
program. Or, like "Jerry" wrote, it may be a power supply trying to go out.
Try the memory thing first, though.