Backup error message

April 5, 2005 6:05:05 PM

I'm trying to do my first ever backup onto a CD (D drive) but no matter what
file name I choose I always get the error message saying " Back up file name
could not be used ensure valid path and sufficient access." The path it
displays is OK D:\myfilename.bkf so what else is up?

More about : backup error message

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 7:48:25 PM

[[You are using Firestreamer-DVD incorrectly. Please follow the
step-by-step instructions on how to back up and restore. In short, you
need to select IBM 3480 as the Backup Type, as opposed to File. You
don't need to worry about BKF files anymore. The Backup Utility treats
DVD disks as tape cartridges, so you deal with DVD disks per se, as
opposed to BKF files on DVD disks. You will be surprised how easy it
is.]]
http://www.firestreamer.com/fsdvd/faq.asp#bkf

Backing up files and folders
http://www.firestreamer.com/fsdvd/help/backup.asp

Restoring files and folders
http://www.firestreamer.com/fsdvd/help/restore.asp

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:029E2F19-5C2C-4732-B579-412EB9A2977F@microsoft.com,
Karisma <Karisma@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I'm trying to do my first ever backup onto a CD (D drive) but no
> matter what file name I choose I always get the error message saying
> " Back up file name could not be used ensure valid path and
> sufficient access." The path it displays is OK D:\myfilename.bkf
> so what else is up?
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 7:48:26 PM

> [[You are using Firestreamer-DVD incorrectly. Please follow the
> step-by-step instructions on how to back up and restore. In short, you
> need to select IBM 3480 as the Backup Type, as opposed to File. You
> don't need to worry about BKF files anymore. The Backup Utility treats
> DVD disks as tape cartridges, so you deal with DVD disks per se, as
> opposed to BKF files on DVD disks. You will be surprised how easy it
> is.]]
> http://www.firestreamer.com/fsdvd/faq.asp#bkf
>
> Backing up files and folders
> http://www.firestreamer.com/fsdvd/help/backup.asp
>
> Restoring files and folders
> http://www.firestreamer.com/fsdvd/help/restore.asp
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:029E2F19-5C2C-4732-B579-412EB9A2977F@microsoft.com,
> Karisma <Karisma@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>> I'm trying to do my first ever backup onto a CD (D drive) but no
>> matter what file name I choose I always get the error message saying
>> " Back up file name could not be used ensure valid path and
>> sufficient access." The path it displays is OK D:\myfilename.bkf
>> so what else is up?

Did I miss something? I don't see anything in the original post about
firestreamer.

Karisma - what program are you using to do your backup? If it is indeed
firestreamer then follow Wes's links. If you are not using firestreamer then
let us know what you are using.

Wes - Have you had any problems with firestreamer? I downloaded the free
trial and had a lot of errors when reusing a DVD multiple times. Also I
purposley scratched a DVD and it locked up with no error recovery or
messages. I tested this on 3 different computers with different chipsets and
DVD drives. Another problem I had was after performing a multiple DVD backup
I scratched the 2nd of 3 discs. On a test restore it again just locked up
with no error messages or any possible recovery procedure. I read such good
things about it I was going to recommend it for a couple of clients but due
to those problems I went with something else. When I recommend a backup
system it has to be fool(idiot)proof. They are trusting me with their
business. I like the idea of firestreamer but it needs some work yet.

Kerry
April 5, 2005 8:59:45 PM

What back-up program are you using?
NTBACKUP can not back-up directly to CD:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315255

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Karisma" <Karisma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to do my first ever backup onto a CD (D drive) but no matter
> what
> file name I choose I always get the error message saying " Back up file
> name
> could not be used ensure valid path and sufficient access." The path it
> displays is OK D:\myfilename.bkf so what else is up?
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 11:01:03 PM

Yes,it is NTBACKUP which came with XP Home. That's weird, if it can't save to
CD why does is offer it as a choice in the drop down menu under 'choose a
place to save your backup' D or F (removable)? Since I don't have an F,
what do do now?
All this grief just so I can intall SP2!!!!

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> What back-up program are you using?
> NTBACKUP can not back-up directly to CD:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315255
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Karisma" <Karisma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm trying to do my first ever backup onto a CD (D drive) but no matter
> > what
> > file name I choose I always get the error message saying " Back up file
> > name
> > could not be used ensure valid path and sufficient access." The path it
> > displays is OK D:\myfilename.bkf so what else is up?

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 3:06:19 AM

Back-up to another location on your hard drive then copy that to CD.

You may be thinking of back-ups incorrectly.
SP-2 may remind you to perform a back-up, but you should be doing it
regularly with all important data.
At any time you are only an instant away from a catastrophic failure that
will destroy all data.

--

> Yes,it is NTBACKUP which came with XP Home. That's weird, if it can't save
> CD why does is offer it as a choice in the drop down menu under 'choose a
> place to save your backup' D or F (removable)? Since I don't have an F,
> what do do now?
> All this grief just so I can intall SP2!!!!
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> What back-up program are you using?
>> NTBACKUP can not back-up directly to CD:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315255
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
>> http://www.dts-l.org
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 4:05:08 AM

Will attempt to try that and report back results. As for the importance of
backing up regularly, not knowing how to has prevented me even after last
year's catastrophe of having my lappy stolen. But, tomorrow is a new day and
an old dog will attempt a new trick! Many thanks

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Back-up to another location on your hard drive then copy that to CD.
>
> You may be thinking of back-ups incorrectly.
> SP-2 may remind you to perform a back-up, but you should be doing it
> regularly with all important data.
> At any time you are only an instant away from a catastrophic failure that
> will destroy all data.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Karisma" <Karisma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes,it is NTBACKUP which came with XP Home. That's weird, if it can't save
> > CD why does is offer it as a choice in the drop down menu under 'choose a
> > place to save your backup' D or F (removable)? Since I don't have an F,
> > what do do now?
> > All this grief just so I can intall SP2!!!!
> >
> > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> What back-up program are you using?
> >> NTBACKUP can not back-up directly to CD:
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> >> http://www.dts-l.org

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 7:02:12 PM

>> > trial and had a lot of errors when reusing a DVD multiple times

Could you elaborate? Did you try to reuse the same DVD disk that failed with
firestreamer with say Nero, just to confirm that it's firestreamer to blame?
What brand of media do you use?

>> On a test restore it again just locked up
> with no error messages or any possible recovery procedure

Have you tried to burn a DVD with say Nero, scratch and then try to read it
back?

I'm just curious. Thanks.

--

"Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote in message

>> In news:029E2F19-5C2C-4732-B579-412EB9A2977F@microsoft.com,
>> Karisma <Karisma@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I'm trying to do my first ever backup onto a CD (D drive) but no
>>> matter what file name I choose I always get the error message saying
>>> " Back up file name could not be used ensure valid path and
>>> sufficient access." The path it displays is OK D:\myfilename.bkf
>>> so what else is up?
>>

> Did I miss something? I don't see anything in the original post about
> firestreamer.
>
> Karisma - what program are you using to do your backup? If it is indeed
> firestreamer then follow Wes's links. If you are not using firestreamer
> then let us know what you are using.
>
> Wes - Have you had any problems with firestreamer? I downloaded the free
> trial and had a lot of errors when reusing a DVD multiple times. Also I
> purposley scratched a DVD and it locked up with no error recovery or
> messages. I tested this on 3 different computers with different chipsets
> and DVD drives. Another problem I had was after performing a multiple DVD
> backup I scratched the 2nd of 3 discs. On a test restore it again just
> locked up with no error messages or any possible recovery procedure. I
> read such good things about it I was going to recommend it for a couple of
> clients but due to those problems I went with something else. When I
> recommend a backup system it has to be fool(idiot)proof. They are trusting
> me with their business. I like the idea of firestreamer but it needs some
> work yet.
>
> Kerry

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 7:02:13 PM

"Steve Martin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Could you elaborate? Did you try to reuse the same DVD disk that failed
> with firestreamer with say Nero, just to confirm that it's firestreamer to
> blame? What brand of media do you use?
>
>>> On a test restore it again just locked up
>> with no error messages or any possible recovery procedure
>
> Have you tried to burn a DVD with say Nero, scratch and then try to read
> it back?

I wanted the backup to fail. I was testing how firestreamer would react. An
error message would have satisfied me. I wanted errors to be logged so they
could be checked from a remote computer. The backup just locked up and
ntbackup had to be killed via the task manager. That is not acceptable for a
backup program in a workplace where several people may be starting the
backup and different people removing the DVD the next morning. There needs
to be a way for one person to check an error log. This office does not have
any technically competent people. They want a backup that is easy to check.
They also want a way for non-technical personel to backup payroll and
accounting data before running a daily batch process. A hung program means
a support call at best and not doing the backup and not knowing it wasn't
done at worst. I went with Novabackup which in the same situation generated
an error log and emailed a copy to the designated administrator.

Kerry

> I'm just curious. Thanks.
>
> --
>
> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote in message
>>>
>>> In news:029E2F19-5C2C-4732-B579-412EB9A2977F@microsoft.com,
>>> Karisma <Karisma@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>>

>> Did I miss something? I don't see anything in the original post about
>> firestreamer.
>>
>> Karisma - what program are you using to do your backup? If it is indeed
>> firestreamer then follow Wes's links. If you are not using firestreamer
>> then let us know what you are using.
>>
>> Wes - Have you had any problems with firestreamer? I downloaded the free
>> trial and had a lot of errors when reusing a DVD multiple times. Also I
>> purposley scratched a DVD and it locked up with no error recovery or
>> messages. I tested this on 3 different computers with different chipsets
>> and DVD drives. Another problem I had was after performing a multiple DVD
>> backup I scratched the 2nd of 3 discs. On a test restore it again just
>> locked up with no error messages or any possible recovery procedure. I
>> read such good things about it I was going to recommend it for a couple
>> of clients but due to those problems I went with something else. When I
>> recommend a backup system it has to be fool(idiot)proof. They are
>> trusting me with their business. I like the idea of firestreamer but it
>> needs some work yet.
>>
>> Kerry

Anonymous
April 10, 2005 7:34:01 PM

Hi Kerry,

Thank you for letting us know about the problem with Firestreamer-DVD. In
most cases, the solution is just an email away :)

Cheers
--
http://www.firestreamer.com

"Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote in message
news:o ANi8HnOFHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> "Steve Martin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Could you elaborate? Did you try to reuse the same DVD disk that failed
>> with firestreamer with say Nero, just to confirm that it's firestreamer
>> to blame? What brand of media do you use?

>>> with no error messages or any possible recovery procedure
>>
>> Have you tried to burn a DVD with say Nero, scratch and then try to read
>> it back?
>
> I wanted the backup to fail. I was testing how firestreamer would react.
> An error message would have satisfied me. I wanted errors to be logged so
> they could be checked from a remote computer. The backup just locked up
> and ntbackup had to be killed via the task manager. That is not acceptable
> for a backup program in a workplace where several people may be starting
> the backup and different people removing the DVD the next morning. There
> needs to be a way for one person to check an error log. This office does
> not have any technically competent people. They want a backup that is easy
> to check. They also want a way for non-technical personel to backup
> payroll and accounting data before running a daily batch process. A hung
> program means a support call at best and not doing the backup and not
> knowing it wasn't done at worst. I went with Novabackup which in the same
> situation generated an error log and emailed a copy to the designated
> administrator.
>
> Kerry
>

>> I'm just curious. Thanks.
>>
>> --
>>
>> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote in message

>>> Did I miss something? I don't see anything in the original post about
>>> firestreamer.
>>>
>>> Karisma - what program are you using to do your backup? If it is indeed
>>> firestreamer then follow Wes's links. If you are not using firestreamer
>>> then let us know what you are using.
>>>
>>> Wes - Have you had any problems with firestreamer? I downloaded the free
>>> trial and had a lot of errors when reusing a DVD multiple times. Also I
>>> purposley scratched a DVD and it locked up with no error recovery or
>>> messages. I tested this on 3 different computers with different chipsets
>>> and DVD drives. Another problem I had was after performing a multiple
>>> DVD backup I scratched the 2nd of 3 discs. On a test restore it again
>>> just locked up with no error messages or any possible recovery
>>> procedure. I read such good things about it I was going to recommend it
>>> for a couple of clients but due to those problems I went with something
>>> else. When I recommend a backup system it has to be fool(idiot)proof.
>>> They are trusting me with their business. I like the idea of
>>> firestreamer but it needs some work yet.
>>>
>>> Kerry

Anonymous
April 10, 2005 7:34:02 PM

"cristalink" <cristalink@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi Kerry,
>
> Thank you for letting us know about the problem with Firestreamer-DVD. In
> most cases, the solution is just an email away :)
>
> Cheers
> --
> http://www.firestreamer.com

Do you work for firestreamer? I wasn't denigrating the product :)  I didn't
have time to troubleshoot it. They wanted a solution that worked yesterday.
I had two days to evaluate several products and install one at their site.
It is a temporary solution. They will be installing Server 2003 and going
with a fileserver based backup solution. I was horrified to see them doing
backups to floppies when they called me in to develop a tech plan. When I
tested a restore from the floppies it didn't work. They had no idea it
wasn't working. I really liked the idea of firestreamer for a workstation
backup. When I get the time I'll take a longer look at it.

Kerry

> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote in message
> news:o ANi8HnOFHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> "Steve Martin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Could you elaborate? Did you try to reuse the same DVD disk that failed
>>> with firestreamer with say Nero, just to confirm that it's firestreamer
>>> to blame? What brand of media do you use?

>>> Have you tried to burn a DVD with say Nero, scratch and then try to read
>>> it back?
>>
>> I wanted the backup to fail. I was testing how firestreamer would react.
>> An error message would have satisfied me. I wanted errors to be logged so
>> they could be checked from a remote computer. The backup just locked up
>> and ntbackup had to be killed via the task manager. That is not
>> acceptable for a backup program in a workplace where several people may
>> be starting the backup and different people removing the DVD the next
>> morning. There needs to be a way for one person to check an error log.
>> This office does not have any technically competent people. They want a
>> backup that is easy to check. They also want a way for non-technical
>> personel to backup payroll and accounting data before running a daily
>> batch process. A hung program means a support call at best and not doing
>> the backup and not knowing it wasn't done at worst. I went with
>> Novabackup which in the same situation generated an error log and emailed
>> a copy to the designated administrator.
>>
>> Kerry
>>

>>> I'm just curious. Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 10, 2005 11:27:24 PM

Yes, I do. Actually, we really appreciate your feedback, even though it was
posted here, not to our support email. Thanks to you, we've fixed the
problem with the too big delay with scratched disks. Yes, we target
workstations and small servers. With blu-ray coming, we hope Firestreamer
will be a good replacement for DAT/DLT tapes. We already support remote DVD
writers via iScsi, the only problem is the small capacity of DVD.

Regards,
Nick

--
http://www.cristalink.com

"Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote in message
news:o r9CerYPFHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> "cristalink" <cristalink@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> Hi Kerry,
>>
>> Thank you for letting us know about the problem with Firestreamer-DVD. In
>> most cases, the solution is just an email away :)
>>
>> Cheers
>> --
>> http://www.firestreamer.com
>>

> Do you work for firestreamer? I wasn't denigrating the product :)  I didn't
> have time to troubleshoot it. They wanted a solution that worked
> yesterday. I had two days to evaluate several products and install one at
> their site. It is a temporary solution. They will be installing Server
> 2003 and going with a fileserver based backup solution. I was horrified to
> see them doing backups to floppies when they called me in to develop a
> tech plan. When I tested a restore from the floppies it didn't work. They
> had no idea it wasn't working. I really liked the idea of firestreamer for
> a workstation backup. When I get the time I'll take a longer look at it.
>
> Kerry
>

>> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote in message
>> news:o ANi8HnOFHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> "Steve Martin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> I wanted the backup to fail. I was testing how firestreamer would react.
>>> An error message would have satisfied me. I wanted errors to be logged
>>> so they could be checked from a remote computer. The backup just locked
>>> up and ntbackup had to be killed via the task manager. That is not
>>> acceptable for a backup program in a workplace where several people may
>>> be starting the backup and different people removing the DVD the next
>>> morning. There needs to be a way for one person to check an error log.
>>> This office does not have any technically competent people. They want a
>>> backup that is easy to check. They also want a way for non-technical
>>> personel to backup payroll and accounting data before running a daily
>>> batch process. A hung program means a support call at best and not
>>> doing the backup and not knowing it wasn't done at worst. I went with
>>> Novabackup which in the same situation generated an error log and
>>> emailed a copy to the designated administrator.
>>>
>>> Kerry

Anonymous
April 10, 2005 11:27:25 PM

> Yes, I do. Actually, we really appreciate your feedback, even though it
> was posted here, not to our support email. Thanks to you, we've fixed the
> problem with the too big delay with scratched disks. Yes, we target
> workstations and small servers. With blu-ray coming, we hope Firestreamer
> will be a good replacement for DAT/DLT tapes. We already support remote
> DVD writers via iScsi, the only problem is the small capacity of DVD.
>
> Regards,
> Nick

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you got the problem fixed. I'll definitely be
taking another look at Firestreamer. I have a couple of clients who like to
take a quick snapshot of accounting files on a daily basis. 4 GB is just the
right size for them and I like the idea of using NTbackup. It's been around
a long time and most consultants know how to work with it. I like to set
things up a generic as possible so the client isn't stuck with something no
one else understands.

Kerry
!