PSU problem

MurderByDustpan

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Background info:
Power supply: Antec SL350 (350 watts)

It started happening after I replaced a CD-ROM with a DVD-ROM and installed 2 extra case fans, plugged into the motherboard.

At first I thought it was a video card problem. The video signal was randomly cutting out, and freezing the computer when it did. I rebooted to get a message that the system crash was caused by the video card driver.

Later on, I discovered that it was caused by it being underpowered. The motherboard was receiving only 4.6 volts on the +5v rail. That was only the first time I looked at it. Recently, it's gone as low as 4.29 volts.

Upon reseating the ATX power connector, I noticed that four of the connectors were literally burned. The plastic around each of the four +5v connectors was blackened. Immediately following a shutdown after a crash, the connector was very hot. A voltmeter on one of the HDD power connectors, on the 5v rail, read virtually exactly 5 volts. After shutting down the computer and measuring the voltage on the ATX plug itself (while jumping the required pins to turn it on), the reading was also pretty much 5 volts, well within the +/- 5% specification.

Actual problem:
Therefore, there must be a high resistance in the plug somewhere. The high resistance accounts for both a voltage drop and the release of energy as heat.

My question is, pretty much, what do I do, and how do I prevent it from happening again?

My guess is that I'll have to replace the power supply with another, but the real question is about the motherboard, and whether or not I will have to replace it.

Any help will be appreciated....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All my Antec power supplies start dropping voltage around 70% of their rated load. Best advice is not to buy Antec.

Actually their True Power supplies are supposed to be good, but I've never owned a True Power.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

MurderByDustpan

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
It was to my disappointment that you replied without thoroughly reading my post. I stated that the power supply IS doing its job, the problem is in the connector, not the power supply. Once again, any help is appreciated, but please read the post before replying.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I did read the whole thing, thoroughly. It looked like you were asking three questions so I replied to the easy one. As to the more difficult ones, well, so goes.

OK, I'll try a harder one at your insistance. Power supplies usually have 2 or 3 drive headers per cable to the power supply. Try rearranging them so the most power goes to the devices with the most draw. I wouldn't be surprized if the cabling was too thin for the load you put on them. I'd probably go 1 drive and 2 fans on 1 lead from the power supply. And maybe 2 drives and nothing else on another.

I doubt you burned anything on your board.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jamarno

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
"All my Antec power supplies start dropping voltage around 70% of their rated load. Best advice is not to buy Antec."

All power supplies drop in voltage as the load is increased. This is normal nothing to worry about, provided the drop isn't excessive for the power supply or the computer.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All my Fortrons and even my Newtons provided full power to their rated capacity, even Enlight power supplies will usually do that and then just pop off shortly after. I believe any power supply should provide good voltage stability up to it's limit, and then simply turn off (overload protection).

MurderByDustpan

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Sorry about that, I was in a bad mood last night when I posted that reply. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the motherboard's been drawing a little too much power, somehow. Thanks for the help

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, it's possible. Other things can cause heat though, including dirty or loose connections and undersized wires or connectors.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
All power supplies drop in voltage as the load is increased. This is normal nothing to worry about, provided the drop isn't excessive for the power supply or the computer.
What are you smoking? on switching powersupplies as load increases so does the voltage (and efficinecy).

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a processor
110% BX fanboy