Virus protection

What is the best virus protection out there? I have always used Norton and
have always had troubles with it. I have also read on some of these forums
that other peopledon't like Nortion either. They slow down programs and
the such.
I have InnoculateIt, but understand that is now obsolete, so now what? I
want a program that will protect against viruses and be user friendly, but
NOT cuase problem like Norton seems to.
I have plenty of space and am running Windows XP.
Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about virus protection

    The "troubles" are attributable to things other than Norton. I support a
    rather large network with Norton on each machine, and have no issues. Of
    course, the machines are healthy and well maintained to begin with. *ANY*
    antivirus will cause a minor slowdown in opening certain types of files as
    they are scanned prior to opening, but will not slow a computer down. You
    would fine, if you were to investigate, that the "slowdown" is always
    attributable to other than Norton.

    I would add that Norton Antivirus is the #1 selling AV by a wide margin.
    Has been for 9 years running. It is number 1 for a reason...it works.
    McAfee can't say that. AVG can't say that.
    I would trust nothing else on either my personal computers, or those in the
    network(s) that I administer.

    Bobby

    "PattiChati" <PattiChati@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What is the best virus protection out there? I have always used Norton
    > and have always had troubles with it. I have also read on some of these
    > forums that other peopledon't like Nortion either. They slow down
    > programs and the such.
    > I have InnoculateIt, but understand that is now obsolete, so now what? I
    > want a program that will protect against viruses and be user friendly, but
    > NOT cuase problem like Norton seems to.
    > I have plenty of space and am running Windows XP.
    > Thanks.

    I used Norton Antivirus for about twelve years and had no problem with it. I
    recently changed to ZoneAlarm Security Suite and am VERY happy with this
    also. www.zonelabs.com

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    If you knew half as much as you think you know,

    "PattiChati" <PattiChati@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What is the best virus protection out there? I have always used Norton
    > and have always had troubles with it. I have also read on some of these
    > forums that other peopledon't like Nortion either. They slow down
    > programs and the such.
    > I have InnoculateIt, but understand that is now obsolete, so now what? I
    > want a program that will protect against viruses and be user friendly, but
    > NOT cuase problem like Norton seems to.
    > I have plenty of space and am running Windows XP.
    > Thanks.

    "PattiChati" <PattiChati@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What is the best virus protection out there? I have always used Norton
    > and have always had troubles with it. I have also read on some of these
    > forums that other peopledon't like Nortion either. They slow down
    > programs and the such.
    > I have InnoculateIt, but understand that is now obsolete, so now what? I
    > want a program that will protect against viruses and be user friendly, but
    > NOT cuase problem like Norton seems to.
    > I have plenty of space and am running Windows XP.
    > Thanks.
    Norton is a buggy pig. There is free software that's better. AntiVir is one
    of them:

    TrendMicro sells possibly the best AV software you can buy, but for a little
    more you can get a utility suite that's better than anything Norton or
    McAfee ever made from www.v-com.com and it includes the TrendMicro AV engine
    and updates plus lots of other wellknown apps without slowing you down and
    not being buggy or problematic.

    "PattiChati" <PattiChati@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What is the best virus protection out there? I have always used Norton
    > and have always had troubles with it. I have also read on some of these
    > forums that other peopledon't like Nortion either. They slow down
    > programs and the such.
    > I have InnoculateIt, but understand that is now obsolete, so now what? I
    > want a program that will protect against viruses and be user friendly, but
    > NOT cuase problem like Norton seems to.
    > I have plenty of space and am running Windows XP.
    > Thanks.

    I've used Norton since it came out (free, back then) and never had any
    problems with it. Problems with Norton av are usually due to
    mis-configuration of Norton, poorly system maintenance, and/or not paying
    attention to system requirements.
    AVG is generally the most appreciated in the world of free antivirus
    software if you frequent groups which talk about the various names
    available.

Virus Norton Windows XP