Sign in with
Your question

Video Card Troubles

Last response: in Applications
August 11, 2005 6:37:39 PM

Ok, I have the Geforce FX 5500 OC 256mb video card. I recently reformated and I installed my drivers off nvidia.com and got directx 9.0c. I did all windows updates and even cleaned my vid card off with dusting spray for comps. My problem is that I have to change my hardware acceleration in order to play games or watch videos because if i dont the videos have a white fuz thing to them your still able to make out whats going on in the movie but barely. If I disable directx and such with the hardware acceleration the videos play fine but I can't play games till I enable it again. Also I haven't been able to play any half-life2 'source' engined games. The card just wont let me...plz help...oh and I turn off vertical-sync too

More about : video card troubles

August 13, 2005 12:09:31 AM

I can't solve your problem but I always found a decent TV type video card a better idea, or even a video TV/capture/PVR card.

A good TV video type card might last you years(I have an old Hauppauge WinTV TV card on an old PII 400 at least 5 years old that works great, the PII is 7 years old. It just had it's birthday), but many people upgrade their regular video cards every year or two.
So a separate card might be an idea.

Some people like the ATI "All in Wonder" cards, nice video cards but spendy and if you change out your main video card often, it really is better to get a separate TV video card.

If you want a good quality PVR TV video card, check these out. <A HREF="http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr150.htm..." target="_new">Hauppauge</A>

The PVR 150 with hardware compression is a great value for around 80 USD. If you don't plan on recording anything you can get a TV video card for around 20-50 USD.

<A HREF="http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Home/" target="_new"> Pinnacle</A> Makes good products, I have used both. Avid just took over Pinnacle, so I'm not sure if that is bad or good! Having used some Avid products, Avid is good.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad: 
August 19, 2005 10:29:14 PM

What driver version are you using? the 77.72's had known issues with video and some games (like what you are describing). 77.77 is out now and reportedly fixes those isues. If you are not using 77.77, use those, or use a driver prior to the 77.72 release.

Edit: 77.72 borked Source games as well, but they work fine with 77.77. Sounds like you have the bad version. Remember to completely unistall the old driver before installing the new one.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Spectre_I on 08/19/05 04:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!