Browser continuously goes off line when pressing ENTER at ..

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.os.windows-xp (More info?)

I have suddenly stopped being able to use my browser (IE6):
Pressing enter on a URL puts a check mark in WORK OFFLINE in the file menu
and the browser starts asking me if I want to connect to my dialup
connection (I have an always-on broadband connection). Unchecking the line
doesnt seem to improve things (it did at first but now never works AND
sometimes
the browser thinks about it for about ten seconds before it puts the check
mark in WORK OFFLINE):

Curiously I discovered that clicking on a link DOES work and at the moment I
am having to go to
every URL I want to access by entering the link in google and clicking on
the link (which is usually created)

I tried complaining to the cable-modem ISP and it was they who diagnosed
this mysterious check mark:
I removed it and the browser/connection started working properly but as I
say, never for long.
But sometimes when I remove it all that happens is that it reappears as soon
as I press ENTER on trying to access the URL again.

(Outlook Express seems to think it is offline most of the time as well.
Outlook doesnt seem to suffer from this problem)

I did a virus check and it doesn't appear to be a virus. Is this a known
problem and/or does anyone know what is causing this?

I did turn off the DNS and DCHP services but it did nothing. AdAware and
Spybot reveal nothing on this

Eventually I got so exasperated with Internet Explorer and with the people
at the Microsoft forums not having any idea about this that that I installed
Firefox

Even more annoyingly, Firefox does the same thing: This seems to be some
problem with either with a trojan or with the OS, Windows XP Pro SP1
17 answers Last reply
More about browser continuously line pressing enter
  1. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    Have you tried re-installing IE after completely wiping off any trace from
    your HD? If not than try this and then install WinXP SP2. What ISP are you
    with?
  2. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    news.rcn.com wrote:
    > I have suddenly stopped being able to use my browser (IE6):
    > Pressing enter on a URL puts a check mark in WORK OFFLINE in the file
    > menu and the browser starts asking me if I want to connect to my
    > dialup connection (I have an always-on broadband connection).
    > Unchecking the line doesnt seem to improve things (it did at first
    > but now never works AND sometimes
    > the browser thinks about it for about ten seconds before it puts the
    > check mark in WORK OFFLINE):
    >
    > Curiously I discovered that clicking on a link DOES work and at the
    > moment I am having to go to
    > every URL I want to access by entering the link in google and
    > clicking on the link (which is usually created)
    >
    > I tried complaining to the cable-modem ISP and it was they who
    > diagnosed this mysterious check mark:
    > I removed it and the browser/connection started working properly but
    > as I say, never for long.
    > But sometimes when I remove it all that happens is that it reappears
    > as soon as I press ENTER on trying to access the URL again.
    >
    > (Outlook Express seems to think it is offline most of the time as
    > well. Outlook doesnt seem to suffer from this problem)
    >
    > I did a virus check and it doesn't appear to be a virus. Is this a
    > known problem and/or does anyone know what is causing this?
    >
    > I did turn off the DNS and DCHP services but it did nothing. AdAware
    > and Spybot reveal nothing on this
    >
    > Eventually I got so exasperated with Internet Explorer and with the
    > people at the Microsoft forums not having any idea about this that
    > that I installed Firefox
    >
    > Even more annoyingly, Firefox does the same thing: This seems to be
    > some problem with either with a trojan or with the OS, Windows XP Pro
    > SP1

    If your browser is looking for a dial-up connection, you must have such a
    connection enabled in your accessories\communications\dial-up-networking
    folder. Delete it and see if this cures the problem, also delete any spare
    unused accounts in your mail programme.

    --
    Digital Photo-charts for all UK areas.
    Remove 'nospam' to reply.

    In comp.sys.laptops news.rcn.com <news.rnc.com> wrote:
[...]

    Sounds to me like you are losing your network connection. The "work
    offline?" usually comes when you get kicked off the internet and try
    to access something on it.

    I would first try blowing away your network connection and make a new
    internet connection, just for fun.

    Not sure how you are accessing the network. Do you have a wired
    ethernet connection or a wireless connection?

    Have you tried cycling power on your cable modem?

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
  4. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    I don't dare play with uninstalling IE as it is infernally difficult AND as
    the problem exists in Firefox, isn't it likely to be an OS rather than
    browser problem? Something possibly I have screwed around with but ONLY
    AFTER being told that setting DNS etc services to manual was a method of
    curing this problem? And as it doesn't manifest itself in Outlook and there
    is no real problem with the cable modem connection, I cant believe that this
    is an ISP or signal problem

    More likely some currently-floating-around unidentified trojan if the people
    at Microsoft have no idea about it?
  5. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    You may have a "dialer" virus or spyware.

    On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 11:10:33 -0400, "news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com>
    wrote:

    >I have suddenly stopped being able to use my browser (IE6):
    >Pressing enter on a URL puts a check mark in WORK OFFLINE in the file menu
    >and the browser starts asking me if I want to connect to my dialup
    >connection (I have an always-on broadband connection). Unchecking the line
    >doesnt seem to improve things (it did at first but now never works AND
    >sometimes
    >the browser thinks about it for about ten seconds before it puts the check
    >mark in WORK OFFLINE):
    >
    >Curiously I discovered that clicking on a link DOES work and at the moment I
    >am having to go to
    >every URL I want to access by entering the link in google and clicking on
    >the link (which is usually created)
    >
    >I tried complaining to the cable-modem ISP and it was they who diagnosed
    >this mysterious check mark:
    >I removed it and the browser/connection started working properly but as I
    >say, never for long.
    >But sometimes when I remove it all that happens is that it reappears as soon
    >as I press ENTER on trying to access the URL again.
    >
    >(Outlook Express seems to think it is offline most of the time as well.
    >Outlook doesnt seem to suffer from this problem)
    >
    >I did a virus check and it doesn't appear to be a virus. Is this a known
    >problem and/or does anyone know what is causing this?
    >
    >I did turn off the DNS and DCHP services but it did nothing. AdAware and
    >Spybot reveal nothing on this
    >
    >Eventually I got so exasperated with Internet Explorer and with the people
    >at the Microsoft forums not having any idea about this that that I installed
    >Firefox
    >
    >Even more annoyingly, Firefox does the same thing: This seems to be some
    >problem with either with a trojan or with the OS, Windows XP Pro SP1

  6. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    In comp.sys.laptops news.rcn.com <news.rnc.com> wrote:
    : I don't dare play with uninstalling IE as it is infernally difficult AND as
    : the problem exists in Firefox, isn't it likely to be an OS rather than
    : browser problem?

    You're right - and I wasn't the one who recommended uninstalling IE.
    I suggested you blow away your internet connection and have the
    network wizard re-install it (this should be very easy to do). It's
    an easy thing to try if your broadband connection is setup so you get
    your IP address automatically from a router. (if you have to
    hand-code IP address, gateway, DNS, etc., are you sure none of that
    information has changed?).

    : Something possibly I have screwed around with but ONLY
    : AFTER being told that setting DNS etc services to manual was a method of
    : curing this problem?

    You probably shouldn't have a manual setting for DNS unless your ISP
    needs it that way (mine suggests that - but use my DSL modem in
    bridged mode, and I have a fixed IP address).

    : And as it doesn't manifest itself in Outlook and there
    : is no real problem with the cable modem connection, I cant believe that this
    : is an ISP or signal problem

    You would get the "work offline?" message in IE if you were having a
    network problem. Since I was helping someone fix a problem like that
    yesterday and saw that exact message, I can tell you that that can
    happen.

    I would ask you these questions:

    What is your IP address, or how is it assigned to your computer?
    Fixed IP, or is it a local IP generated from the DSL modem/router?

    If you do a "command window" and type "ipconfig" what do you see?

    : More likely some currently-floating-around unidentified trojan if the people
    : at Microsoft have no idea about it?

    Could be, but I doubt it.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
  7. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    In message <W-idnb4Egsfl0cnfRVn-rA@rcn.net>, news.rcn.com
    <news.rnc.com@?.?.invalid> writes
    >I don't dare play with uninstalling IE as it is infernally difficult

    IE irradiator IERAD.ZIP from CNet or TUCOWS.

    --
    James Follett. Novelist. (G1LXP) http://www.jamesfollett.dswilliams.co.uk
  8. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    > Curiously I discovered that clicking on a link DOES work

    Suggesting that this is not a DNS issue? What happens if you try to ping
    a domain name? My feeling is that DNS is DNS is DNS and if it works in
    one bit of the browser then this is not where your problem is.

    If you have always-on broadband - what dial-up connection does it think
    you want to use? Any chance you have an 'old' dialup connection left
    over from before you had broadband that has suddenly become default and
    active again. We have issues where where users connect their laptops
    both to our lan and at home via dial-up; we get very similar
    circumstances when they dial-up is set to 'always dial default
    connection' rather than to 'dial when network connection is not present'.
  9. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    The broadband connection is setup so I get the IP address automatically
    while the computer's IP address is a local IP generated from the DSL
    modem/router, - ipconfig says ethernet adapter network bridge and shows the
    router's correct DNS 192.168.12.1 and identifies the ISP correctly

    Not sure what BBd connection software is but I do often try ipconfig
    /release folowed by ipconfig /renew and it doesnt seem to make a difference
    to this problem

    SpySubtract found about 8 innocuous looking things like cookies but nothing
    otherwise which I suspected as I had already run Sysclean

    I certainly agreed that "DNS is DNS is DNS and if it works in one bit of the
    browser then this is not where your problem is" which is what I thought
    before I started posting along with If It Does The Same In Firefox, Then
    Some IE Setting Isn't The Problem

    (And my default has always been set to never dial a connection)
  10. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 16:54:08 -0400, "news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com>
    wrote:

    >I don't dare play with uninstalling IE as it is infernally difficult AND as
    >the problem exists in Firefox, isn't it likely to be an OS rather than
    >browser problem? Something possibly I have screwed around with but ONLY
    >AFTER being told that setting DNS etc services to manual was a method of
    >curing this problem? And as it doesn't manifest itself in Outlook and there
    >is no real problem with the cable modem connection, I cant believe that this
    >is an ISP or signal problem
    >
    >More likely some currently-floating-around unidentified trojan if the people
    >at Microsoft have no idea about it?

    I very much doubt it.

    If IE & Firefox try to force you to work offline this means that your
    default connection has been changed or has become mis set.

    Are you using a Router / NAT setup or a straight BBd Modem?

    IE & Firefox look for the default connection before going on-line, if
    they cannot find it you get the "do you wish to work offline message"

    Outlook probably looks for any connection then uses that, I would not
    know I would not touch Outlook with a barge pole.

    try the following

    Check your ISP IP Address, it may just be your router needs a re-set
    mine did the same last week due to lightning. Command Prompt -
    ipconfig

    Get rid of any dialup connections you have in IE via tools > internet
    options > connections you can re-install them lkater if you wish to.

    Reset to factory and re-install your router / or uninstall /
    re-install any BBd connection software.

    Jonah
  11. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    Try deleting all temporary internet files including the files saved for
    offline viewing. I know it doesn't seem connected but I have seen some
    weird problems fixed by getting rid of them. Click Tools-Internet
    options-Delete files.

    Cheers,

    Larry
    *****
    :
[...]
  12. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.os.windows-xp (More info?)

[...]

    I think I agree with the guy who thinks it could be a DNS issue. You
    could try typing in the IP address instead of the DNS address and see
    if that changes anything. For example, to go to Google.com, try
    http://216.239.53.99 . Same problem?

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
  13. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    Not sure if this is a further clue as to what is going on but the browser
    business has started manifesting itself in a different way: NOW it either
    goes to the web site and then askes me to connect to the dial up connection
    (or the broadband connection depending which one I have activated) OR it
    gives me a simple connect/cancel button and then takes me to the site I am
    looking for. It occasionally used to do this by itself and now it has
    started doing it sometimes even when I click on a link.

    (BTW it does only do this in any browser on one computer on the network
    which surely tends to indicate that there is something in the OS which is
    making it do this rather than something on the connection or in the router
    configuration?)
  14. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    In comp.sys.laptops news.rcn.com <news.rnc.com> wrote:
    : Not sure if this is a further clue as to what is going on but the browser
    : business has started manifesting itself in a different way: NOW it either
    : goes to the web site and then askes me to connect to the dial up connection
    : (or the broadband connection depending which one I have activated) OR it
    : gives me a simple connect/cancel button and then takes me to the site I am
    : looking for. It occasionally used to do this by itself and now it has
    : started doing it sometimes even when I click on a link.

    : (BTW it does only do this in any browser on one computer on the network
    : which surely tends to indicate that there is something in the OS which is
    : making it do this rather than something on the connection or in the router
    : configuration?)

    If the connection setting or DNS setting of this particular computer
    is messed up, it could act the way you describe. That wouldn't
    necessarily affect other computers on the network. Did you try
    blowing away the internet connection and making a new one with the
    wizard?

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
  15. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    On that special day, , ("news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com>) said...

    > NOW it either
    > goes to the web site and then askes me to connect to the dial up connection
    > (or the broadband connection depending which one I have activated) OR it
    > gives me a simple connect/cancel button and then takes me to the site I am
    > looking for. It occasionally used to do this by itself and now it has
    > started doing it sometimes even when I click on a link.

    Hm. Has the user of said machine ever visited a German website? I
    suspect these are the actions of one of these premium call dialers,
    which are abundant over here.

    Check with a program designed to detect dialers, like a-squared.

    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/

    Gabriele Neukam

    Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

    just so, at no cost.
  16. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    This might well solve the problem but I can't figure out how to delete this
    connection

    I went to ALL CONNECTIONS and found one called BRIDGE which I did manage to
    delete but the two remaining ones (LAN OR HIGH SPEED INTERNET and INTERNET
    GATEWAY, both of which are enabled) wont disable

    Meanwhile the problem has changed: Now the browser goes to the page
    requested and THEN gives me the demand either to connect to the internet or
    go online. (which I can easily cancel out of)
  17. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,alt.comp.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    In comp.sys.laptops news.rcn.com <news.rnc.com> wrote:
    : This might well solve the problem but I can't figure out how to delete this
    : connection

    : I went to ALL CONNECTIONS and found one called BRIDGE which I did manage to
    : delete but the two remaining ones (LAN OR HIGH SPEED INTERNET and INTERNET
    : GATEWAY, both of which are enabled) wont disable

    BRIDGING does what it sounds like: connects two connections. You
    could use it for Internet Connection Sharing for example. Unless you
    were trying to do something like that, you were right to delete it.

    I'm trying to remember your original post. Do you have cable
    broadband? Then a router? And this is one computer connected to the
    router on the network? Or do you have the modem plugged directly into
    this computer and it shares the connection to the others on the network?

    Could it be that originally you had it setup differently, like the
    cable modem was plugged directly into this computer? Give me some
    info on how your connection is setup.

    Deciper my email at the top (erase "MYSHOES" twice) and email me if
    you want to continue this dialogue.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----