Will my Laptop be able to run Skyrim

jjjggg50_24

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Hi there,
I'm pretty sure my PC can run it, but will I be able to get a smooth gameplay on at least low settings? I've put my specs below:

Computer Specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M
Available Storage: 250 Gigabytes

All input will be much appreciated.

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
This is the requirements for skyrim:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Elder-Scrolls-Skyrim-System-Requirements-Pete-Hines-RPG,13821.html
If you're too lazy to click the link, this is the recommended requirements:
Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
4 GB System RAM
6 GB free HDD space
DirectX 9 compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).
DirectX compatible sound card
Internet access for Steam activation
and this is minimum:
Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Dual Core 2.0 GHz or equivalent processor
2 GB System RAM
6 GB free HDD Space
Direct X 9 compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM
DirectX compatible sound card
Internet access for Steam activation

Conclusion: You can play Skyrim, and not on low settings either, you can probably run it at medium if not high settings with acceptable frame rates.

RDGnome

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
I have a Dell XPS 17 laptop with i7 2630qm @ 2-2.9 GHz and GeForce GT555m 3GB, 6GB RAM, 1920 x 1080 17", 1TB HDD and Skyrim runs quite nicely most of the time on high settings.
You should be able to reach acceptable frame rates but they might change a lot as it what mine do. For instance, in areas with lots going on and lots of textures required for the scene you are in, your frame rate may drop suddenly, thus making gamplay not as smooth. It also depends on what resolution your screen is. 1920 x 1080 causes some problems for me but I'm sure lower resolutions will be okay.
Just make sure you keep antialiasing off and anisotropic filtering quite low if not off, because they hinder gameplay quite a lot if your machine isn't completely loaded with the best equipment out there.