Blank Device Manager

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I no longer have a Device Manager that shows what hardware I have installed.
I've tried the suggestions that I've read in this group and none of them
work. I've added "DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS" to my registry and that didn't work
either. Any suggestions.
--
Thanks,

John

No Items Appear in the Device Manager List When You Open It
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311504

[[If Device Manager is showing nothing, then Its the plug and play service
that is the problem. But if the Device manager is showing the system_name
and not showing any devices in the window, then check the security
permissions on the Registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\ENUM .The
SYSTEM account must have full control permissions on this key in order for
the Device manager to list all the devices in the window ]]
Posted by pradeep kumar moses
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1051715405

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:39D5516B-DE4D-4C33-9A84-3E5B321230AE@microsoft.com,
John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I no longer have a Device Manager that shows what hardware I have
> installed. I've tried the suggestions that I've read in this group and
> none of them work. I've added "DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS" to my registry and
> that didn't work either. Any suggestions.
> --
> Thanks,
>
> John

>I no longer have a Device Manager that shows what hardware I have
>installed.
> I've tried the suggestions that I've read in this group and none of them
> work. I've added "DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS" to my registry and that didn't
> work
> either. Any suggestions.

Have you tried this?
No Items Appear in the Device Manager List When You Open It
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311504

--
Falcon:
fide, sed cui vide. (L)

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I found the answer in annoyances link. Someone else had just installed a
Saitek P2500 and that created the problem. In Registry after permission is
granted, click on the "advanced" key and check the box "reset permissions on
all child objects...", click apply and check yes at the security warning.
Everything is back to normal.

Thanks Wes

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> No Items Appear in the Device Manager List When You Open It
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311504
>
> [[If Device Manager is showing nothing, then Its the plug and play service
> that is the problem. But if the Device manager is showing the system_name
> and not showing any devices in the window, then check the security
> permissions on the Registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\ENUM .The
> SYSTEM account must have full control permissions on this key in order for
> the Device manager to list all the devices in the window ]]
> Posted by pradeep kumar moses
> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1051715405
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:39D5516B-DE4D-4C33-9A84-3E5B321230AE@microsoft.com,
> John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I no longer have a Device Manager that shows what hardware I have
> > installed. I've tried the suggestions that I've read in this group and
> > none of them work. I've added "DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS" to my registry and
> > that didn't work either. Any suggestions.
> > --
> > Thanks,
> >
> > John

John,

Don't you just love it when you install something and *it* screws things up?

Keep having fun. "-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes