EQ2 : The Difficulties of Guild Creation

Last response: in Video Games
December 30, 2004 6:28:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest2,alt.games.everquest (More info?)

My EverQuest 2 experience of late has been quite interesting in that
I've been attempting to form a Guild, and finding out that it's even
harder than I thought it would be just to get the required members to
create it.

My gaming clan, the Loony Goon Circus (we rarely take ourselves
seriously) have chosen to become multi-gaming by branching out into
EverQuest 2, and now that a few of our members have access to the game
we have started going through the process of finding members to help
form the Guild officially (on the Lavastorm server). I anticipated the
news of our background, that of Counter-Strike, would probably put
people off due to the differences between the genres (we all have a
fairly long history with RPGs, and also with the original EverQuest) and
some people's mis/preconceptions about Counter-Strike players, but what
I didn't foresee would be the difficulty in getting those who say "Well,
I may be interested in a position" to actually sign up and join us.

My final problem is this...we have a fairly strict trialling process for
the clan as we are something of a family...we try to avoid being
elitist, but we act as all families do and we are wary of those who may
have the wrong reasons for joining us (Maybe not the wrong
reasons...more like, reasons which are incompatible with our style). It
has occurred to us simply to try grabbing whoever comes along and is
interested in Guilding, but how to build up a player base that is both
enough to form a Guild, and also fits in well with our ideals and rules?

So, story over. Apologies for the minor piece of advertising in there,
it's merely there for those who may be interested. I suppose the point
of this post is merely to see if any of you have experienced this
problem yourselves? Or have your own stories to tell about Guilds.

--
Michael Greenhalgh
---

EverQuest 2:
Miglok | Half-Elf Predator | Lavastorm

City of Heroes:
Shadow Ranger | Mutation Scrapper | Virtue
---
January 1, 2005 4:27:01 PM

"Michael Greenhalgh" <spammy@tripleb.co.uk> wrote in message
> My EverQuest 2 experience of late has been quite interesting in that I've
> been attempting to form a Guild, and finding out that it's even harder
> than I thought it would be just to get the required members to create it.
>
> My gaming clan, the Loony Goon Circus (we rarely take ourselves seriously)
> have chosen to become multi-gaming by branching out into EverQuest 2, and
> now that a few of our members have access to the game we have started
> going through the process of finding members to help form the Guild
> officially (on the Lavastorm server). I anticipated the news of our
> background, that of Counter-Strike, would probably put people off due to
> the differences between the genres (we all have a fairly long history with
> RPGs, and also with the original EverQuest) and some people's
> mis/preconceptions about Counter-Strike players, but what I didn't foresee
> would be the difficulty in getting those who say "Well, I may be
> interested in a position" to actually sign up and join us.
>
> My final problem is this...we have a fairly strict trialling process for
> the clan as we are something of a family...we try to avoid being elitist,
> but we act as all families do and we are wary of those who may have the
> wrong reasons for joining us (Maybe not the wrong reasons...more like,
> reasons which are incompatible with our style). It has occurred to us
> simply to try grabbing whoever comes along and is interested in Guilding,
> but how to build up a player base that is both enough to form a Guild, and
> also fits in well with our ideals and rules?
>
> So, story over. Apologies for the minor piece of advertising in there,
> it's merely there for those who may be interested. I suppose the point of
> this post is merely to see if any of you have experienced this problem
> yourselves? Or have your own stories to tell about Guilds.

Actually no, we all came over from SWG and already had a group ready, which
brings me to: how many of your friends are playing? You only need 6 people
to start, really not too hard if you have people who will be playing with
you from another game/guild/clan. The hardest part was getting the silver,
and even that wasnt too difficult, we had everything we needed once we all
gained citizenship.

Starting a guild by yourself however would be a royal pain. Word of advice,
don't make anyone you don't completely trust a leader as you cannot by any
means remove them from the guild if you decide you want to for whatever
reason. Sounds simple, but there can be more than one person with the rank
of leader, and since they are of equal rank, cannot remove each other. You
would think that the founder would be able to kick anyone he/she wanted to,
but it isn't that way. Maybe they will change that later after enough
feedback, who knows.

Good luck with your guild, hope you find the right people!

Arcalus Unoliaeth
Leader of Ostara
Befallen
28 Templar
26 Armorer
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 1:45:24 AM

Panic wrote:
> "Michael Greenhalgh" <spammy@tripleb.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>My EverQuest 2 experience of late has been quite interesting in that I've
>>been attempting to form a Guild, and finding out that it's even harder
>>than I thought it would be just to get the required members to create it.
>>
>>My gaming clan, the Loony Goon Circus (we rarely take ourselves seriously)
>>have chosen to become multi-gaming by branching out into EverQuest 2, and
>>now that a few of our members have access to the game we have started
>>going through the process of finding members to help form the Guild
>>officially (on the Lavastorm server). I anticipated the news of our
>>background, that of Counter-Strike, would probably put people off due to
>>the differences between the genres (we all have a fairly long history with
>>RPGs, and also with the original EverQuest) and some people's
>>mis/preconceptions about Counter-Strike players, but what I didn't foresee
>>would be the difficulty in getting those who say "Well, I may be
>>interested in a position" to actually sign up and join us.
>>
>>My final problem is this...we have a fairly strict trialling process for
>>the clan as we are something of a family...we try to avoid being elitist,
>>but we act as all families do and we are wary of those who may have the
>>wrong reasons for joining us (Maybe not the wrong reasons...more like,
>>reasons which are incompatible with our style). It has occurred to us
>>simply to try grabbing whoever comes along and is interested in Guilding,
>>but how to build up a player base that is both enough to form a Guild, and
>>also fits in well with our ideals and rules?
>>
>>So, story over. Apologies for the minor piece of advertising in there,
>>it's merely there for those who may be interested. I suppose the point of
>>this post is merely to see if any of you have experienced this problem
>>yourselves? Or have your own stories to tell about Guilds.
>>

> Actually no, we all came over from SWG and already had a group ready, which
> brings me to: how many of your friends are playing? You only need 6 people
> to start, really not too hard if you have people who will be playing with
> you from another game/guild/clan. The hardest part was getting the silver,
> and even that wasnt too difficult, we had everything we needed once we all
> gained citizenship.

Well this is the crux of the problem, we were a small clan to begin with
so only three of us were playing EverQuest 2. We would only need three
more people to set it up, though, and we do have someone who had an
interest in our clan also thinking of playing EQ2 (another long-time RPG
fan) so I'm sure we will eventually get there.

> Starting a guild by yourself however would be a royal pain. Word of advice,
> don't make anyone you don't completely trust a leader as you cannot by any
> means remove them from the guild if you decide you want to for whatever
> reason.

Thanks for the heads up, we've encountered these problems before
elsewhere in the gaming world with other clans, so we already have a
fairly strict heirarchy in place which conveniently mimics the EQ2 Guild
heirarchy, and we only have one leader to avoid the issues you mentioned.

--
Michael Greenhalgh
---

!