CitizenSnips

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Greetings Tom's. This is my first post here, so I hope I'm submitting this to the right forum.

I've recently tried my hand at streaming my online Starcraft II games from my computer using Adobe FMLE and VH Screen Capture. I've manged to establish the stream with the proper resolution and everything, but broadcasting takes a huge toll on the speed of my computer. Everything is laggy and trying to play Starcraft whilst streaming is pretty much impossible. I've done some research and my GPU seems to be fine, but my CPU might be the problem. If this is the case (see my specs below), would overclocking my CPU make it any better? My programmer friend has told me that I should be able to stream with the hardware I have, and when I mentioned that someone said I'd need a quadcore processor, he said it wasn't necessary.

Also, as a side note, I can run Starcraft on "ultra" graphics settings fine.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB Corsair
GPU: GeForce 9800 GT

Let me know if I need to give more information.

Thanks.

Well, while your computer is still of decent hardware, I doubt you're running full ultra @ 1080 with it.

That being said, even if you get respectable frame rate you are certainly pushing your hardware to the brink. If you add streaming to that it certainly won't be able to handle it.

I don't know how intensive different streaming methods are, but I'd strongly suggest dropping your graphics down to low and see if it improves your streaming capability (it should).

Your friend is partially correct, you certainly don't need a quad core in order to stream, however, your hardware needs to be able to process all the game video data on top of the streaming load. And as you have it right now, if you try to play the game on ultra I believe your hardware is insufficient to handle anything else on top.