Power supply problem

Guessgirl96

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2003
I used to have a A1 power 400w power supply, it burned out so I got a Antec 430w today and installed it. When I turn the computer on everything seems to be working okay, then about 30 seconds into it the led fans and cathodes dim. I'm thinking after all the hard drives kick in and everything starts up theres not enough power so it's not supplying enough power to everything. What I don't understand is everything seemed to work okay with the 400w and this one is 430, I also read that Antec is a very good PSU. Does anyone have any ideas?

My specs are:

3.00GHz 800MHz FSB
Gigabyte 8-PENXP
1GB Kingston HyperX DDR400
nVidia GeFource4 MX440
40GB HDD
40GB HDD
120GB HDD
16x52 DVD/CD-ROM
52x24x52 CD-RW
6 LED fans + 2 Chthodes

Thanks guys for any help :)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Guessgirl96 on 04/12/04 08:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
You've got alot of stuff there but 430W should be enough to drive it all. I'm running their True Power Series 430W and I couldnt be happier. It's possible you got a defective unit.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's possible he got one of their economy units, which tend to drop voltage at relatively low loads compared to their rated output.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Guessgirl96

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2003
Do you know what type those are? I don't have the box right now but I'll post tommorow what type it is and maybe you now if it's the economy kind?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If it's one of their "premium" power supplies it will say "true power" "smart power" or something like that. Their cheaper supplies don't have a name, just a model number, at least that's been true of the ones I've owned.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Guessgirl96

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2003
Mine says "True power" so I don't think thats the problem... A freind helped me with it, I think I got it but I'm not sure yet, I'll write back if it's still not working.