Lag from keyboard to screen

I can type a whole sentence before it appears on the screen. It's happening
now. I've spybotted, ad-awared, PC-doctored, system suite-ed, emptied all
temp
folders, uninstalled all games (etc.), and defragmented to a fare-thee-well.
I've run ad-aware in safe mode (one suggestion)--but the problem remains. ANY
help would be greeted with undying gratitude.
6 answers Last reply
More about keyboard screen

    What do you mean typing a whole sentence before it appears on the screen?
    Is that on ms-word, wordpad or what. Maybe you have a hw issue with your
    cache memory

    "Patetichesky" wrote:

    > I can type a whole sentence before it appears on the screen. It's happening
    > now. I've spybotted, ad-awared, PC-doctored, system suite-ed, emptied all
    > temp
    > folders, uninstalled all games (etc.), and defragmented to a fare-thee-well.
    > I've run ad-aware in safe mode (one suggestion)--but the problem remains. ANY
    > help would be greeted with undying gratitude.

    I don't know better how to express it--anywhere, as here for instance, as
    well as in Word or in an e-mail message, I can have at least six to a dozen
    words typed on my keyboard before they will show up on my screen. The cursor
    will hang, and then after a few seconds the letters will appear on the
    screen. I write for a living, and this is a major annoyance. Believe me, I've
    checked everything I know how to check (but I am no computer
    professional)--and there are no disk errors, everything has been
    defragmented, and all ads and cookies have been chased out with a dozen
    brooms. It ruins my train of thought if I have to wait to see the words
    appear. I've a Dell 2350 with 88% free disk space (if that means anything?).
    Gratitude goes without saying...

    "smiling face" wrote:

    > What do you mean typing a whole sentence before it appears on the screen?
    > Is that on ms-word, wordpad or what. Maybe you have a hw issue with your
    > cache memory
    >
    > "Patetichesky" wrote:
    >
    > > I can type a whole sentence before it appears on the screen. It's happening
    > > now. I've spybotted, ad-awared, PC-doctored, system suite-ed, emptied all
    > > temp
    > > folders, uninstalled all games (etc.), and defragmented to a fare-thee-well.
    > > I've run ad-aware in safe mode (one suggestion)--but the problem remains. ANY
    > > help would be greeted with undying gratitude.

    On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 19:39:03 -0700, Patetichesky
    <Patetichesky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I can type a whole sentence before it appears on the screen. It's happening
    >now. I've spybotted, ad-awared, PC-doctored, system suite-ed, emptied all
    >temp
    >folders, uninstalled all games (etc.), and defragmented to a fare-thee-well.
    >I've run ad-aware in safe mode (one suggestion)--but the problem remains. ANY
    >help would be greeted with undying gratitude.

    What's running when you're typing?

    Get Process Explorer (free) from
    <http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml>. Provides way more
    information than Task Manager. Also, Autoruns (also free, and also from
    SysInternals) <http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml> will
    show you specifically what process are started automatically.

    With Process Explorer, you can examine processes by CPU Utilisation Percentage,
    and by another metric, Context Switches (see the discussion about Process
    Explorer for information about context switches).

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck

    And it's not paranoia if people *are* after you... Thank you, Chuck--I really
    do appreciate the generosity of your time. However in my computer ignorace, I
    have to admit that I haven't the foggiest idea what you've told me--what it
    means and what I have to do. ?

    "Chuck" wrote:

    > On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 19:39:03 -0700, Patetichesky
    > <Patetichesky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I can type a whole sentence before it appears on the screen. It's happening
    > >now. I've spybotted, ad-awared, PC-doctored, system suite-ed, emptied all
    > >temp
    > >folders, uninstalled all games (etc.), and defragmented to a fare-thee-well.
    > >I've run ad-aware in safe mode (one suggestion)--but the problem remains. ANY
    > >help would be greeted with undying gratitude.
    >
    > What's running when you're typing?
    >
    > Get Process Explorer (free) from
    > <http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml>. Provides way more
    > information than Task Manager. Also, Autoruns (also free, and also from
    > SysInternals) <http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml> will
    > show you specifically what process are started automatically.
    >
    > With Process Explorer, you can examine processes by CPU Utilisation Percentage,
    > and by another metric, Context Switches (see the discussion about Process
    > Explorer for information about context switches).
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Chuck
    > Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.
    > My email is AT DOT
    > actual address pchuck sonic net.

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 05:02:03 -0700, Patetichesky
    <Patetichesky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >And it's not paranoia if people *are* after you... Thank you, Chuck--I really
    >do appreciate the generosity of your time. However in my computer ignorace, I
    >have to admit that I haven't the foggiest idea what you've told me--what it
    >means and what I have to do. ?
    >
    >"Chuck" wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 19:39:03 -0700, Patetichesky
    >> <Patetichesky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I can type a whole sentence before it appears on the screen. It's happening
    >> >now. I've spybotted, ad-awared, PC-doctored, system suite-ed, emptied all
    >> >temp
    >> >folders, uninstalled all games (etc.), and defragmented to a fare-thee-well.
    >> >I've run ad-aware in safe mode (one suggestion)--but the problem remains. ANY
    >> >help would be greeted with undying gratitude.
    >>
    >> What's running when you're typing?
    >>
    >> Get Process Explorer (free) from
    >> <http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml>. Provides way more
    >> information than Task Manager. Also, Autoruns (also free, and also from
    >> SysInternals) <http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml> will
    >> show you specifically what process are started automatically.
    >>
    >> With Process Explorer, you can examine processes by CPU Utilisation Percentage,
    >> and by another metric, Context Switches (see the discussion about Process
    >> Explorer for information about context switches).

    You're seeing terrible latency when you type - I do too sometimes, but I know
    what program causes the latency, and I only run that program when I absolutely
    need to. You can do this, too. Or you may be able to figure a way to avoid the
    latency.

    The question is how to identify the program, and the underlying cause, of the
    latency.

    One way is to wait til the problem comes up, then look at Task Manager, and see
    what programs are running. Sort on the list by CPU% (click on the CPU heading),
    and see what comes to the top.

    Another way is before - and - after. Wait til the problem is NOT active. See
    what programs are running. As soon as the problem starts again, ask yourself
    what programs you just started. Find out what the programs that you just
    started do.

    You might be able to diagnose your problem using Task Manager. TM provides a
    basic amount of information about most processes (applications and services)
    running on your computer. But, if you're like me, and hundreds of others,
    you'll find Process Explorer more useful. PE is free, and shows way more
    diagnostics than TM.

    I auto-start PE on all of my computers. I can't count the number of times PE
    has helped me. The guys at SysInternals / Winternals are gods. Assuming that
    your problem is NOT related to malware, PE will help you, if anything will, to
    find the problem.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck
    My email is AT DOT
    actual address pchuck sonic net.

    ----------------
    [misplaced post position ]
    ---- REMOVE IN ANY RESPONSE -----
    Hi Patch,

    First, and this isn't a flame, and I am not placing blame, on newsgroups
    it's almost a necessity to keep top or bottom posting consistant (Responding
    above or below the post you are responding to). Otherwise it will become
    very hard to keep track of the thread's progression after a couple of
    it's not important as long as one keeps the same progression as has been
    started. My reponse here is "wrong" since it's a top-post, but in the
    overall scheme of things, it should be OK because it's OT to your post.
    My actual response is at the bottom, per the organization already set up.
    -------- apologies for the top post -----------

    "Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message ...
    >>I can type a whole sentence before it appears on the screen. It's
    >>happening
    >>now. I've spybotted, ad-awared, PC-doctored, system suite-ed, emptied all
    >>temp
    >>folders, uninstalled all games (etc.), and defragmented to a
    >>fare-thee-well.
    >>I've run ad-aware in safe mode (one suggestion)--but the problem remains.
    >>ANY
    >>help would be greeted with undying gratitude.
    >
    > What's running when you're typing?
    >
    > Get Process Explorer (free) from
    > <http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml>. Provides way
    > more
    > information than Task Manager. Also, Autoruns (also free, and also from
    > SysInternals) <http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml>
    > will
    > show you specifically what process are started automatically.

    Hi Patch,

    Chuck's recommendations are OK IFF you understand them, and I do have both
    of those myself, in fact. However, I personally feel that more specific
    information would help a lot. It's most likely either file corruption
    somewhere or as Chuck suggests. Asuming you still have the problem:
    -- XP Pro or XP Home?
    -- Computer RAM?
    -- Pagefile size?
    -- Is it ALWAYS present? No matter where you type?
    -- If not, specifically WHEN does it start happening and in which program?

    -- If it's always present in the apps you use:
    -- Cold boot (Power down for about 30 seconds, then start computer
    again). Do NOT sign onto the net or start anything else.
    -- After it's completely booted, open Notepad. Is the problem still
    there?

    -- Open Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL)
    -- Using Task Manager, the Process tab:
    -- How many processes does it say are running at the bottom of the screen?
    Post it here.
    -- When you are not doing anything, what is the cpu % idle time?
    -- If the idle time is not 90% or above, look thru the processes to see
    which one is using the 10% or more processor time and note it, and post it
    here. My bown idle time process is usually around 98% when nothing else is
    going on.
    -- The following will NOT damage any files or your system. Worst case,
    it -might-, but isn't likely to, freeze your computer. But no damage will
    occur.

    If you have another process using over say 25% of the cpu time, AND you
    don't know what it is, try killing the process by clicking the button at the
    bottom of the window. It might be antivirus running in the background, or
    another process you turned on yourself, but if it closes neatly and nothing
    happens, try opening a program where the typing delay happens and see if
    it's gone. If so, you've found the source of the problem.
    -- There -might- be more than one process taking up time during when the
    computer should be idle. If so, close them all. You'll see that happen if
    you have antivirus running in the background, and anything else you started.
    -- Have you tried re-installing your video card drivers?
    -- Have you tried re-installing your monitor drivers?
    -- Do you know how to look at Event Viewer for errors? If you're not
    familair with Event Viewer, CAUTION: Do NOT panic about a minor "error" you
    might come across that has nothing to do with the problem. They can easily
    sidetrack you. No, they shouldn't be there, but if they aren't causing
    problems, they are not what you want to be concerned about right now.
    Event Viewer: Start, Programs, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.
    While you're there, check out Administrative Tools, Performance also for
    any hints.

    I susptect that info might be enough to get things moving for you if you can
    respond to each of the items above.

    HTH,
    Pop

Lag Microsoft Keyboards Windows XP